Old 08-04-2004, 04:18 AM
flat spin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: YS FZ 63S equal to 70 Size engines ??

Dep, Please don't take likw i am doubting you but 11,300 on a 14X4w is incredible over a thousand RPM more than a Saito 82 even if it is running on 30%.
That said there can only be one choice 1000 RPM more with the same weight, as for setup i really don't have any concerns with pumps etc.
However, and here it comes, everyone else running this prop on this engine is getting around 10,300 on 30%. One guy here admitadley flying at 5000FT is getting 10,300 on a 13X4W on 20% are you sure you arenot getting the readings mixed up between the props because if you got 11,300+ on 14X4W then surely dropping down a size would cause the engine to over rev considerabley.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:23 AM
LMProd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is it true that if you do not run a YS often the gaskets will dry out and performance
is greatly effected ??
Old 08-04-2004, 11:58 AM
JoeAirPort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: LMProd

Is it true that if you do not run a YS often the gaskets will dry out and performance
is greatly effected ??
That's true of any engine that has diaphragms and o-rings. They dry out if not used. Cline recommends leaving a little fuel in the regulator to keep it from drying out.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:46 PM
deputydog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flatspin;
No problems! I understand where you are coming from. My .63's turn the 13x4W @ 11, 600-11,800 right now. I set them a little rich when I use that prop. My 63's I break in with a 12x8 YS20/20 turning 11,400-11,500. As I down prop, I also increase nitro. This keeps it consistantly in the low 11's. Each person has their own way of breaking in a YS. The first tank is slightly rich on the ground. The second tank I adjust the low, mid and Hi and fly it. It needs to be broken in where you want to run it.

LMProd;
If you fly a YS and then let it sit for an extended period of time then it is practical to change O rings($15). The gaskets are not a problem unless you disasseble the motor alot. I bought a used YS-120AC from Ebay and it ran like crap!(this is probably the reason it was sold!) I changed orings and it will shame a Saito 180 right now! Its an awesome engine and i have $200 into it. The piston was brand new. In process of putting it on a DP Ultimate.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:50 AM
Tram

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've just gotten back into nitro flying and am currently trying to decide between a Saito 82 or YS 63 for a PacAero Edge...

I've heard the YS's are harder to tune?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:01 AM
flat spin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are unlucky then Ys can be a pain but this is becoming increasingly unlikely and my YS110 for example has been a dream from the word go. I have only touched the needles once when the temperature dropped from 30C to about 5c causing it to die after runnig a bit lean. This is the only time it has ever cut after 60 or so tanks.

Just to confuse things though. I am also running a Saito 82 and i don't care what anybody says the YS63 is not as powerfull. I am still running mine in and it is great. I turn a 14x4W at about 9800 on 20% and I havn't even leaned it out yet, I think on 20% i may need abigger prop so as i don't need any extra power i'll probably just save some cash and us 10%
Old 11-24-2004, 04:08 AM
Tram

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeh, saving cash on the 10% is also nice. I am not planning on having a 3D ship out of the Edge anyway.. So, I think the 82 might be fine..
Old 11-24-2004, 04:38 AM
flat spin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both great engines but evne if you did want to do 3d i would say the 82 is the better option. And i love both my YS and Saito.

Engine the enigne whichever you choose[8D]
Old 11-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Richard L.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Cline recommends leaving a little fuel in the regulator to keep it from drying out.
Don't leave any fuel in YS engines. Otherwise, you will get sticky or gummed up regulator. Order a bottle of after run oil formulated for YS engines from here: [link]http://www.pspec.com/[/link]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60690.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	196234  
Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM
JoeAirPort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ordered a bottle yesterday. So what do you do, put the infeed fuel line in the bottle and turn the prop a few times to suck it into the regulator, carb, and engine? BTW, I always run the fuel out of my 63FZ after I'm done for the day. Cline says that he prefers some fuel left in his reg. If the lines are sealed on the inlet and outlet, it shouldn't gum up. Also a pattern flyer at my field who uses 140DZ's says that there is always some fuel/oil in his regulators whenever he takes them apart. So they may never dry just out over the winter months. Last year none of my engines sat for more than a month without being run. Not sure about this year. Depends on snowfall.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Cline recommends leaving a little fuel in the regulator to keep it from drying out.
Don't leave any fuel in YS engines. Otherwise, you will get sticky or gummed up regulator. Order a bottle of after run oil formulated for YS engines from here: [link]http://www.pspec.com/[/link]
Old 11-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Richard L.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just put a few drops into the carb opening and turn the prop over a few times.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:36 PM
JoeAirPort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got off the phone with a guy from Performance specialties where I ordered the oil. This is the result of my conversation:

-Do not suck it in through the fuel line...recommended doing just what Richard said: A teaspoon in through the carb air intake is fine. It's the rear bearing that is the most imortant to lubricate.
-The cylinder does not need any after run oil.
-When starting it again, take out the glow plug, hit the spinner with an electric starter while holding a rag over the glow plug hole to keep oil from spraying everywhere. Otherwise the con rod or crank could get bent. If only a few drops is put in then I imagine this is not necessary.
-Also said to disconnect the fuel and vent lines from the engine or vapors from residual fuel in the tank would get into the engine. Leave the fuel and vent nipples on the engine open to atmosphere.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Richard L.

I just put a few drops into the carb opening and turn the prop over a few times.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Richard L.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great info. I don't usually use after run oil in my YS unless the engine won't be used for more than a month. Normally, I just drain the tank and run the engine dry at the end of the day.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Ladyflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The YS engines are different but no harder (for most folks) to operate . If "different" and "difficult" mean the same thing to you ,it could be a problem .
I have run 10% and 15% nitro in YS engines with fine results. Saito engines in fact benefit from 20% to 30% nitro just as much as the YS .
Cost ? The smooth running ,transition and reliable power of the YS engines has blurred any memory of the little (if any) difference in cost .
Weight ? The YS always puts out far more power per ounce than the other 4 strokes AND allows the fuel tank to go at the CG so your plane takes off and lands with the same CG point .
Old 01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
DarZeelon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found the Brit engine review for the replaced .53.
I could not do it without Dave (ZAGNUT)...

It is not where it once was, but [link=http://web.archive.org/web/20020803180433/http://www.nwmas.co.uk/engine_test_ys53.htm]here it is now[/link].

The achived site includes no photos, that take up too much space, the RPM for the 13x6 is for sure below the torque peak (this prop size is way too much load for this engine) and the RPM for the 11x8 is a mis-print.

But if you look at the numbers for the 12x6 and 12x7 props.... There are few contemporary .61 two-stroke engines, even with tuned-pipes, that can better them.

Search this Thread