Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Methanol Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:33 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Methanol Question

the klotz benol is also compatible with gas and they may also have some synthetic that is compatible with both gas and methanol. [link]http://www.klotzlube.com[/link] will get you all the info and let you buy online too.

i doubt you'll find anything useful at your local home improvement center.

dave
Old 07-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a methanol gas mix I would use an oil that mix's with both, castor oil will do this. Many of our synthetic oils will also do this. The Cool Power two stroke kart oil is synthetic or a synthetic castor mix and will mix with either fuel.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan to try a mixture of 20% methanol, 75% gas, and 5% acetone.

This mixture may give you nothing but problems. I see a number of major obsticals you need to overcome to have an effective product: To put it simply; Glow carburation is designed to meter an alcohol/nitro/oil based fuel which must be considerably richer (almost twice as much glow fuel flow required, depending on nitro content and other variables). These little engines and carbs were not designed to run or meter gasoline based fuels and may not be able to make the air/fuel mixture ratio correct. As others point out, the glow plug will loose most of its ability (if it works at all) to ignite the mixture if enough methanol is not in the mix. Compression ratios differ from engines designed for gasoline or glow, with glow engines usually having a little higher compression. A great deal of your cooling is eliminated by running gasoline based fuel in a glow engine because methanol has a greater ability to absorbe heat (and you're using twice as much of it) than gasoline, therefore overheating may present a problem. Getting 20% methanol to stay mixed with gasoline may be tough, these two chemicals do not like to stay mixed in that high of concentration for very long. Running oil at 100:1 (1.28 oz of oil per gallon) or even 50:1 (2.56 oz of oil per gallon) in a glow engine without a caged needle bearing on the big end of the rod will result in disaster in very short order.

I am not trying to rain on anybodys parade and the above are what I consider your major obsticals. If you can make it work, please share your results.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

As others point out, the glow plug will loose most of its ability (if it works at all) to ignite the mixture if enough methanol is not in the mix.
This is a myth that is wrong and actually 180 degrees backwards. Glow plugs have been used on gas engines with success. First as research engines, and more lately with large gas engines. The problem with gas is our plugs are made for methanol which has an auto ignition temp around 500 degrees C. Gas has an auto ignition around 280 degrees C or so. So our plugs are too hot. Still with a very cold plug and some methanol added to the mix some modelers have had success with the very mix he posted. See the engine conversion forum for the results.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Getting 20% methanol to stay mixed with gasoline may be tough, these two chemicals do not like to stay mixed in that high of concentration for very long.
I thought they mixed very well! I agree with you about the oil. I would suggest not going less than 10%. The gasoline will provide the rest.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:21 PM
jheissjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I tried this mix just because I had the things in the garage:

20% Ether, 80% Gas
1:4 Oil to Gas (Homelight 2 Cycle Oil).

The engine did run but it ran very rich like an engine would on regular fuel with the needle turned all the way out. However it would not stay running when I throttled down. I suppose it was just a bad mix combination or ingredients or maybe it was pre-detonating with the ether.

I am going to get some methanol and try 95% methanol and 5% acetone. My question is are there any 2-stroke oils available at home centers that would be soluble with methanol. I thought if I used this mix it would illimate the problem of the oil having to soluble with both gas and methanol. Mainly I would like to avoid having to order online and be able use cheaper more available 2-stroke oil.

Sport Pilot, you said many of our synthetic oils will also mix with both. Could you elaborate on which oils you mean? You also said not going less than 10%. Do you mean 10% of methanol?
Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 PM
KINGX

Now that is what i call "Alchemy" ! very flamable and volatile substances you are experimenting with. What is really wrong with all those nice fuels available by good manufacturers??
Old 07-23-2004, 07:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

10% oil. Coolpower oil will mix with both, give Morgans a call they will sell direct. Did you try this with the glow driver on? I think I got things backwards on the last post and it should have been a hot plug and possibly a glow driver. I would consider adding some methanol to your above mix. You also had way to much oil in your mix. With gas you don't need near as much oil with gas, also the mineral oil used with gas is superior to castor or our synthetic glow fuel oil.

Read this thread before you try again.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...%2Cglow/tm.htm
Old 07-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

What is really wrong with all those nice fuels available by good manufacturers??
Besides cost, it is fun to play with new fuels and bust myths.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:33 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

What is really wrong with all those nice fuels available by good manufacturers??
Besides cost, it is fun to play with new fuels and bust myths.

Busted one yet??

jess
Old 07-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Yes, yours!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:45 PM
jessiej

Yes, yours!
Very cryptic. What, pray tell are you referring to? Either in this or your even more puzzling and quite rude PM?

While I have a couple of cats and dogs I have not a single myth. Perhaps you were attempting to communicate with the member you addressed re myths in your post of 7/20/2004 3:41:25 PM?

jess
Old 07-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic. I haven't really disproved any myths by mixing my own fuel. But several have done so by mixing gas and running them on glow plugs. There is a thread about it on the engine conversion forum, it is about a month old.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:40 AM
jessiej

Sorry, thought you were being sarcastic. I haven't really disproved any myths by mixing my own fuel. But several have done so by mixing gas and running them on glow plugs. There is a thread about it on the engine conversion forum, it is about a month old.
No sarcasism intended. Your expertise is aparent and appreciated.

jess