Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Got some 6 yr old Satios w/internal carbon build-up . . .

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Got some 6 yr old Satios w/internal carbon build-up . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Shihtzutan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some 6 yr old Satios w/internal carbon build-up . . .

I'm a Saito man. All my Saito's run great, I've worked on them, changed parts, bearing etc. I'm looking for a way to clean off the years of carbon build-up on the exhaust valve and chamber because I'm noticing a drop-off in performance and it's becoming increasingly difficult to start. I've spoken with several people about the problem and they all pretty much say it has to be chipped or scraped-off! In this day and age, I suspect somebody makes a cleaner or solution that will get rid of the carbon without the risk of damaging the parts. Does anyone out there know of such a product or have a better way to solve this problem?
Old 08-02-2003, 08:31 PM
LouW

Blasting with glass beads (not sand) can clean the carboned up parts without damaging them. Most machine shops have a bead blaster and can do the job for you. If the carbon is not too severe, walnut shell media might do the job also. Degrease the parts thoroughly before blasting and clean them thoroughly before reassembly.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Shihtzutan

Blasting it seems a little extreme! I've blasted alumimum parts before with disastrious results. Have you ever actually bead blasted a glow engine? I heard that heating up antifreeze in a crock pot and letting it simmer for a few hours works. I think I'll try that first! Thanks anyway.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:30 PM
L E Slats

I just started using the Crock pot with 50/50 antifreeze - water mix. Results are very good. Cooked engine on low seting overnight and results were very good. Make sure to get ALL the water out of the cam area and spray with after run oil asap.

L E Slats
Old 08-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Shihtzutan

Thanks, John . . .,

Is is safe to simmer indoors? I'm a little concerned about fumes.