Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum 65 2-strtoke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 65 2-strtoke?

I found a magnum 65 2-stroke advertised on Ebay, and I have to say, I didn't know Magnum made a 65, I thought it was only a 61. Am I wrong? do they make one? I can't find a hobby shop online that sells them.

Patriot
Old 07-24-2004, 08:49 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Magnum 65 2-strtoke?

Pat:

Be careful. Look at the picture closely, and send the advertiser a query. Probably an honest mistake, might be a 56, even a 46.

Bill.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Patriot

That's what I was thinking, cuz as far as I know they never made one, and the picture is fuzzy.

Patriot
Old 07-25-2004, 02:39 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Magnum 65 Pro is in fact real, have one on a delta wing. No big deal, good in it's day (years ago). No parts available (could probably get bearings and ring aftermarket), so buy it cheap and run it until it dies.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:14 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I bought one of those when they were first available. I put it into a Hobbico Extra 300 ARF which was way way beyond my ability (then) and crashed it after an exciting 90 seconds. The engine lived on in a 12 foot telemaster. I remember it as being a bushed engine with no bearings, also that it was really thirsty and needed a large tank to get a 10 minute flight out of it. It had a lot of compression and was hard to flip start, and would drain a flight box battery before it was running. I didn't like it, but since then I've been a four stroke guy, so maybe I'm a little prejudiced.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnum .65 is the same engine as the TT GP .65.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 PM
pooman07
My Feedback: (2)

Yes they sure do amke a 65 nfact mine is sitting next to Which i am selling make offer theese things have nice rpms i bench tested it and got scared haha...afraid the vice was gunna unbolt and fly off[]
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Turbobeaver

To set the record straight guy's,Magnum did make a .65 size engine.It was called the Magnum .65 GPse.The "GP" designation stands for general purpose and the "se" designation denotes the newly introduced square head design.The Magnum .65GPse was one of the last engines made to carry the Magnum insignia on the side of the crank case before they reworked the moulds at the factory to change them over to the name brand "Thunder Tiger".For those individuals that weren't aware,the original Magnums that were distributed by Global Hobby distributors(affiliated with Hobby Shack)were being manufactured by Thunder Tiger in Taiwan.These are not to be confused with the later on "Magnum XL" line of engines also to be distributed by the same company.The "Magnum XL" line of engines are made in China and are still being manufactured today and sold through Hobby People(no longer called Hobby Shack).Global Hobby distributors(Hobby Shack) and Thunder Tiger in Taiwan had a fairly lengthy relationship with each other originally carrying the old line of Thunder Tiger engines starting some where back in the early 80's I believe.Then the trade name "Magnum" was later introduced into the picture by Global Hobby distributors and Thunder Tiger then started badging their engine line up as "Magnum GP or Pro".Thunder Tiger made engines for Global Hobby distributors right up till they parted ways.Global went searching for another company to provide them with a line of engines to distribute and they turned up a manufacturer in mainland China which they are still using today.Since the trade name "Magnum" is a licensed tradename belonging to Global,it was carried over to the new chinese line of engines.The "XL" designation was used on the new line to differentiate it from the old Magnum line of engines.

All of the original line of Magnum engines remained the same in size,shape and construction after their rebadging to the "Thunder Tiger" line of engines except the Magnum .65GPse.For some reason,the displacement of the engine was no longer being identified as being a .65 size engine.For marketing reasons they decided to go with the designation Thunder Tiger .61GP instead.The actual displacement of the engine however has still remained the same as it was when it carried the Magnum GP brand name.The Thunder Tiger .61 GP is actually a .65 size engine as its actual displacement measures .645 cu.inches.The Thunder Tiger .61GP and Magnum .65GPse are rated at aproximately 2.02 hp while the ball bearing equipped Thunder Tiger .61 Pro and Magnum Pro .61(same engine also) are rated at 1.8 hp.The Magnum .65GPse and Magnum .46 Pro se engines were the first engines to be redesigned with the square head design just before Thunder Tiger and Global Hobby distributors parted ways for good.Rumour has it that Thunder Tiger was looking for a much bigger piece of the action than what Global could offer them in potential North American sales.A while later, Thunder Tiger bought up the very well known "Ace RC" company and started to distribute theor own products themselves.The rest is history.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:48 PM
pooman07
My Feedback: (2)

Yes i am selling mine if anyone wants it and patriot i garantee i will sell it for less than on e-bay,Its in perfectly clean working order never been ran (cept for one bench test) its nice,powerfull,reliable,and it wont do your wife