Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS FL-70 4 stroke engine. How good is it?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS FL-70 4 stroke engine. How good is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 06:30 PM
jcaz72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FL-70 4 stroke engine. How good is it?

Browsing Tower I found a OS 4 stroke engine named FL-70 which is about $30 bucks cheaper to the FS-70 II surpass of same brand. Since I am considering to buy my first 4 stroke for my next project (WM P-51 0.46) I want to research as much as possible. Anybody with experience on this FL-70?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: OS FL-70 4 stroke engine. How good is it?

Too new for anyone to have much experience, but it's another of OS' ABN engines. For that reason, along with OS putting an air bleed carb on it, I wouldn't touch it. Spend the extra $30 if you want to see the OS label on the engine.

Bill.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:35 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like they (OS) introduced this same engine a little while ago, marketing it as an "introductory 4-stroke". Maybe easier to tune for the novice, less cost than their surpass series. I never heard much about it until recently. Now I am seeing quite a few ads for it, and it is getting more page space in Tower's catalog. I'm not real big on air bleed carbs. I suspect one of the big magazines will get one for review shortly. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it does.

Pilgrim
Old 09-12-2004, 09:36 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

I bought one a few months ago and compared it to my brother-inlaw's FS-70. The FL has a much smaller throat size on the carb, plus it's an air-bleed. That coupled with the ABN piston/cyl. made me return it and get an FS-70. The casting on the FL is much rougher.

My FS-70 is a fantasic runner and I would recommend it for a first time four stroke engine. It'd even make a good trainer engine in my opinion.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:41 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<I suspect one of the big magazines...see how it does.>>

Any bets on what that review(s) will say??????

I'm with Bill; how big of a cheapskate do you want to be? $30 is not a lot of money, in the overall expense picture of this hobby. The 70 Surpass, even the latest tree-hugger version, is a proven, dependable engine. So they cheapen it up to save thirty bucks???

But you know what? They are giving us exactly what we ask for. The great majority of people in this hobby buy on price point. This has always mystified me. I mean, you're doing this for enjoyment, so why not buy the best to ensure that enjoyment? Nope; gotta be cheap, cheap, CHEAP.

I have no doubt that this engine was born from a recognition of lost sales to less-expensive four strokes such as Magnum, etc. Personally, I have looked at examples of these, and seen them run at the field. For the most part, I was rather underwhelmed.

Who knows; this may be a decent engine. For the sake of those who buy one, I hope so.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My sentiments exactly.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:45 PM
damagedgoodes

Jcaz,
Just thought i'd throw my two cents in. I don't own or have not even seen the new OS70, however i own the OS 70II Surpass and it is a great engine. I also have a Saito 72 which is exqually great. I'm telling you this as you said you wanted a four stroke for your WM P-51. I have this model and have the Saito installed. Either engine will fly this model well but my opinion is the Saito looks much better as either inverted (as mine is) or side mounted. both enginges will protrude from the cowl. The Saito looks great as just the two chrome rockercovers poke out and make the mustang look alot classier than the OS. The Saito is also lighter than the OS and i found balanced this model well. So there you go, purely cosmetical reasons but if your interested i'll email you some pictures. On the other point raised by others, price is the driving factor. I have a Magnum 61 i purchased to use in a WM 46 size Cub that flew it great. It cost half the price of an equivallent OS or other brands but has performed flawlessly. It's not as flash looking, and sounds rougher mecanically when turning over by hand than the OS or Saito, but as stated, runs excellently. Buy what you will not regret, ie to svae money now, you don't want to be thinking down the track, i wish i'd waited and saved a few more bucks...
Old 09-15-2004, 07:57 PM
ENGISM

Hi John,
I just installed an OS FL 70 on a super chipmunk .40, looks great but the carb can't be re-positioned 180 degree,s like other models so check to make sure the position of the carb suits your model.
Brgds
Old 09-20-2004, 11:54 AM
jcaz72

Engism,

Don't forget to let us know how this engine runs on your Chipmunk...
Old 09-20-2004, 01:45 PM
MeanMustang

I've had a look at the 2 engines at the store and I must say that externally, they seem completely different. The FL feels significantly lighter but in terms of finishing, looks rougher. I think the FL is slightly shorter but broader and this is due to its larger bore (1.09 vs 1.02) and shorter stroke (0.748 vs 0.87). Power is the same at 1.1hp. The specs at the OS site claims that the FL is 20% lighter (16.5oz/470g vs 20.3oz/580g) because the usual aluminium back plate has been replaced with a plastic one but I strongly doubt that this "upgrade" of material can contribute to such a significant weight reduction. Personally, I would rather stick with good old-fashioned aluminium and the proven reliability of the FS until proven wrong. For more info on the FL, visit the manufacturer's site at http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg0876.html

By the way, does anyone know if the FS70 would fit in a Modeltech P51 .46?