Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito .72 Start Up (New to 4-Stroke)

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito .72 Start Up (New to 4-Stroke)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 07:36 AM
bakes65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito .72 Start Up (New to 4-Stroke)

Ok fellas,

I've heard I shouldn't start my new Saito with an electric starter. I've heard I should start it backwards with a chicken stick. I've heard I should start with an electric starter and NOT with a c-stick. How about someone with a clue and some viable experience enlightening me. It's my first stab at the four stroke thing and I'd like to do it right.
The engine's going in an Aresti .40 and will be mounted upside down. Should low speed and all that jazz be done on an engine test stand and then mounted? Will all the settings hold? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Saito .72 Start Up (New to 4-Stroke)

Yes on the engine stand, it won't have very good compression at first so starting with a starter is much easier and won't hurt it. Back flipping with a C stick will work perfectly after break in. The settings will change slightly when inverted, not a problem. The first ten minutes is the most important, 4,000 rpm or slightly under. Just follow the instructions.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:50 AM
bakes65

So I can use the starter after it's broken in as well? Or do I resort to the C-stick.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes
Old 09-10-2004, 10:02 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I never use a starter, a C stick is fine. My Saito or other 2C engines start up everytime using the stick.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:55 PM
J.Paul Saure

I use the c-stick when cold, a good prime with the exhaust plugged with your finger, put the heat on, a back flip and it should run. When the engine is hot, it works better with the starter for me.

Run the engine a couple of tanks before turning the low needle in.

Good luck.

Saludos,
Paul
Old 09-10-2004, 05:06 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Mounting inverted there are a few precations to take. The reason people say not to use a starter. If the thing is flooded and you hit it with the starter you can bend the rod. So for sure break it in and tune it on a stand. Then after you put it on the plane be carefull. Don't choke it.
Make sure when you fill the tank the presure line is off the muffler. When your done flying for the day. Pump all the fuel out of the tank. Then with the hot shot on spin it with the starter till it wont fire anymore. This will ensure that the cylinder wont get a pool of fuel in it.

David
Old 09-10-2004, 05:48 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

After many years (currently own ten Saitos) I've always used a starter. If inverted, first turn it over to check it's not fuel locked then use the starter.

quint
Old 09-10-2004, 06:28 PM
IronCross

I've got two inverted Saito .72 engines... Both mounted and broke in inverted... I use the electric starter until they start to "settle down" and then I prefer the C stick... With a little practice you can learn the prime they like and then causualy flip them one time and listen to them purr... Looks impressive... The big problem I ran into with them inverted is to be sure the muffler is pointed slightly down when fueling the engine... Else the fuel will run back into the engine flooding it... Other then that they run great...