Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick - New line of engines - not Moki

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Dave Patrick - New line of engines - not Moki

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:46 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dave Patrick - New line of engines - not Moki

I fly planes from 1/2a to .60 size. I carry 2 kinds of fuel, a gallon of 15% and a quart of 25%. I run everything .15 and up on the 15%, and if it requires different fuel, I simply don't want it. There are plenty of good motors out there which fit my fuel and performance criteria, so why would I bother with the inconvenience of having to drag still another jug around? And I ALWAYS have at least 3 planes with me at the field. And if you're paying $20.00/gal for 15% in the U.S., I have a bridge I'd like to sell...
Old 10-22-2004, 08:49 AM
f2racer

Anybody know the URL for the Moki factory website?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

www.mokiengine.com
Old 11-21-2004, 03:54 PM
mesaman4
My Feedback: (137)

Does anyone actually have any experience with the DPM version? I'm getting ready to purchase a 2.1 and would appreciate any info.
Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would seriously consider calling Dave Patrick and asking him. I just bought an Edge 540T 25% from him and am totally blown away at their service. Top notch stuff.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 PM
MadDog35
My Feedback: (77)

I spoke to Sandy I believe at Dave Patrick models. I ordered a new blue head and I should recieve it in a week or so. I will give you guys the skinny on its perfomance when I get it. I was under the impression ( and this is mostly hearsay so dont quote me please ) that this is made by the moki factory just for dave. I belive he honestly changed it slightly to make it easier to use the more common fuels. I also was told that you still do not want to run more then 15% and that it will still thrive on 5% and possibly 0%. So I am hoping this will be a nice happy medium.
I personaly have never run a moki and I have been told by and witnessed my friends that do, have trouble with these engines. They all seem to run very well but you have to add a pump to get them to run the best in the air. It turns out from what I have read and seen that there are 2 reasons for this. First of all some people just dont realize that the moki does not like nitro so it will over heat and you will have lots of dead sticks. The other reason is that these fine engines require that you break them in properly. Most modelers are spoiled with thier O.S. and Saitos and just want to put them in a model and fly. This does work well with these engines. The trade off is longevity. The O.S. is a great engine and will give you a reasonable lifetime. On the other hand I think the moki is going to work out like my older Enyas. I have never killed an Enya. They are a ***** to break in because they use such hard metals but once you get them they are great for a very very long time.
I am really looking forward to breaking in this engine and putting it in my new Patrick ultimate 1.20 biplane. I am very lucky to have both the Patrick edge 540 and extra 330L, both of witch fly great on O.S 1.60 engines. I have over 30 planes in my hanger and these are my 2 favorite to fly. He has the best ARFs on the market especialy the newer upgraded ones. I have flown my original Goldberg ultimate 10-300 hundreds of times (which dave also designed) and just recently lost it. This is why I am so excited about my new ultimate with blue head combo. I would like to replace the 10-300 but I dont like what I am hearing about the new company that is making them. Let me know if anyone hears anything good about them please.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:03 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: carlbecker
If I did not have the Laser or Moki I could use 15% in every motor.
I have been running Cool Power 15% in my Laser 150 for over three years. Neil Tidey said it was no problem, but he DID say that anything over 15% was wasted money.

I exchanged many e-mails with him regarding this question. He stated that, while Lasers are indeed designed to run on no nitro, moderate amounts (such as 15%) do no harm and actually improve idle and top end a hair.

All I know is, my Laser 150 has been the most trouble-free engine I've owned in almost 20 years of fooling with model engines. It has been in three different airplanes, and I've touched the needles perhaps a half-dozen times since it was broken in on the bench.

Dunno about a Moki; never had one. But you can run 15% in your Laser with no issues.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

I would seriously consider calling Dave Patrick and asking him. I just bought an Edge 540T 25% from him and am totally blown away at their service. Top notch stuff.
Gee; that's quite a change from all the complaints I've read in the past about how you can never get hold of anyone there, spotty response if you do, etc. What's changed?

This is not just speculation or conjecture on my part. A pal had the little DP Ultimate, and a part of the wing cabane broke and needed replacing. He tried more than a dozen times to order one, and they NEVER so much as returned his messages. He finally made the part himself.

I'm sure Mr. Patrick is a nice guy, and his expertise is not in question. But where there's smoke, there's fire. And I have seen entirely too much smoke regarding this outfit's customer service to spend any of my dust with them.

Hope you that do have good luck.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I was blown away when I ordered the Edge 540T, they said they had one in stock, and I had it in two days. The only complaint I have is that the main wing and stab were crooked when viewing the plane from the rudder towards the front. Not extreme but bad enough from the quality I'd expect from him. He didn't really want to do anything about it when I called. He said fly it and see how it does. Flies great though. I really put the thing through a work out last summer. Flies like a champ, got some roll and pitch coupling in knife edge but nothing my thumbs couldn't mix out.

Another thing, I called him several times and got him on the phone almost every time. Spoke for almost an hour a few times. The guy loves to talk about the setup and is in no hurry to get off the phone. He helped me alot. So my experience has been different than what people have had on this forum. Can't explain why other than they have changed their ways (I think this is the case).

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Gee; that's quite a change from all the complaints I've read in the past about how you can never get hold of anyone there, spotty response if you do, etc. What's changed?

This is not just speculation or conjecture on my part. A pal had the little DP Ultimate, and a part of the wing cabane broke and needed replacing. He tried more than a dozen times to order one, and they NEVER so much as returned his messages. He finally made the part himself.

I'm sure Mr. Patrick is a nice guy, and his expertise is not in question. But where there's smoke, there's fire. And I have seen entirely too much smoke regarding this outfit's customer service to spend any of my dust with them.

Hope you that do have good luck.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
MadDog35
My Feedback: (77)

Ok, I recieved my Dave Patrick blue head 1.35 in just a few days. Was packed really nice and came with great instructions on the importance of proper breaking in. I followed the instructions to the letter and let me tell you.... HOLLY SHIET this thing rocks. What a nice running and powerfull engine. It now has 2 gallons of the recomended fuel through it and is mounted on my Dave Patrick ultimate 1.20 Just waiting for the weather to clean here in New Hampshire to let this baby rip up the sky. Will let you know how it works out.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

Just FYI you can modify your MOKI or MARK engines to run on higher nitro simply adding another head gasket or two or three or four. You can probably get them to run on 50% if you want.

Also the two O rings on the low speed disc that are hard to find are metric 10MM X 14 MM X 2 MM thick. I found them in an ACE Hardware in Port Charlotte Fl. and I am sure any ACE Hardware can order them.