Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

NEED PITTS MUFFLER for a ASP 91

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:08 PM
taker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED PITTS MUFFLER for a ASP 91

I amlooking for a Pitts style muffler for a ASP 91.
Or just a cheap muffler for for the ASP so I could cut it up to make a adapter from it.
Does any one know what other make engine muffler if any will fit the ASP
Thank you

PS what does ASP stand for? Does any one know the web address for ASP?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: NEED PITTS MUFFLER for a ASP 91

The original ASP's had ISP International written on the box. They were sold by Indy R/C in Indianapolis, IN. I assumed that ISP stood for Indy Sales Products? Doesn't really matter, it was most likely was a little pocket internal incorperation and the name was just ISC.

Now back to ASP. Back in those days (early 80's), China was just emerging as a viable producter of model engines as well as international marketer of goods. There was a Guy from Tiawan (I think) named Alvin So. He was a manufacturer's rep type of guy. He is the guy that hooked John Goad of Indy R/C(or whatever his name was) up with the engines. They were made by the Sanye Machinery company in a part of China very near Hong Kong. After Horizon bought Indy R/C, they sold ASP engines but someone else held the rights to the name (Alvin So?) and they were sold in a lot of other countries also. When Magnums started to be made by the Sanye company with no difference in them and the ASP except for the name on the side, Horizon dropped the line. Horizon put their eggs in the MDS basket which fizzled. Horizon then had Sanye bring out a new engine just for Horizon. This is the Evolution glow engine line that Horizon sells. The Evolutions are related to the other three (ASP, SC, and Magnum) engines but few parts interchange. The SC engines are sold through Perkins distribution of England. Don't confuse SC engines with CS engines also of China.

Therefore, ASP might have likely stood for Alvin So Products?

Look at it this way... They had to have names for the stuff?

As far as I know, Alvin So is still around. He was pushing the Aviastar engines that Sig now sells the last time I talked to him.

There are at least three different models of ASP 91 two strokes. You are going to need to measure the center to center hole distance of the muffler?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-23-2006, 03:44 PM
taker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!!!

The spacing on the holes are about 35MM or 1 3/8 that is as close as I can measure it.

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's something that will get you by....

http://www.jtecrc.com/pitts%20style%...ers%20page.htm

Enjoy,

Jim