Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4 Stroke Engine Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Back in the 1930s they made a cigarette lighter that used a platinum wire and a little methanol well to provide a real flame to light cigarettes. No battery, no flint. It used plain catalytic action.

We had a good discussion at RCG about glow engines starting without a battery, pure compression ignition. There were plenty of credible eye witness accounts. Yet there were those who spent more time with theo rhetorical “evidence “ that it should never happen.

Sorry for those folks

Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 AM
Slow-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
my son (16) was flying a friends plane, it was his 2nd year of flying, he was up maybe 20ft at the most, upside down at the top of a loop, so yes the engine stalled, as the plane was coming nose/straight down I had a quick thought that I would be shelling out some money, well at that moment of thought he pulls back the stick, the plane levels, the wheel touch the ground without a bump and the plane rolls to a stop, one guy was right behind us watch, he just turns and walks away, what could he say,,,, me ? I was jumping up and down swinging my arms yelling "yes yes that my son, that's my boy, that my son, he did that he did that, what a landing",,, I feel if he pulled back 1 second later the plane would have been damaged in some way, that landing was 1 in 100 Million

Jim

I got a good laugh out of this story, I can totally relate to being the "Proud Father" ! :-)
My son is an IMAC competitor with a "LOT" more skill than me! I recall making boastful statements from time to time when he managed to pulled off something that seemed impossible, it wasn't as notable as what your son did but it was still a proud moment for me, I had to say the words: "Yeah!!, MY son did that, that's right, MY son!!" :-)

The president of our flying club managed to land and park his plane alongside of another parked plane on the flight line and all in one shot during a windy, deadstick flight. I recall one of the other members saying "Wow, what a landing, that was a Bob Hoover moment". (If you aren't familiar with who Bob Hoover is, check him out on YouTube).
Oh, and the president said this: "Yep, that's why I'M the president of this club", he was of course kidding but it was very fitting and very funny at the time! :-)

Thanks for the laugh! :-)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 AM
Slow-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Back in the 1930s they made a cigarette lighter that used a platinum wire and a little methanol well to provide a real flame to light cigarettes. No battery, no flint. It used plain catalytic action.

We had a good discussion at RCG about glow engines starting without a battery, pure compression ignition. There were plenty of credible eye witness accounts. Yet there were those who spent more time with theo rhetorical “evidence “ that it should never happen.

Sorry for those folks

I had never seen a lighter like that before, that's very cool and it's amazing how people with a great imagination can come up with things like that. It also seems that products like that always prompt others to take that idea and expand on it for improvement purposes (and of course, "Money" :-D).

Nice play on words, BTW :-D.

Come to think of it, I had an experience no too long ago where I had primed a Saito FA 220 single cylinder engine while on a test stand for break-in, after priming it, I touched the glow driver to the glow plug and the thing started without flipping the prop, I guess I must have bumped the bench while the piston was at just the right spot for ignition, that was very scary since that engine had a 20x8 prop on it and I bet I couldn't make that happen again no matter how hard I try.
I often just tap the prop to the right or clockwise to start my engines unless one is being a little stubborn at the moment. .

Thank you!! :-)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:18 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Slow-Flyer, thanks for the good words, and you too have very good reasons for being proud of your son !!
my son could have been a better RC pilot, but he just liked flying sport and being there at the field, but when it came to landing my son had that feel, he landed as well as any one, he has not flown in some 8 years but he said he will fly this year,

"Yep, that's why I'M the president of this club" LOL I would have said the same thing too LOL

Jim