Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saito FA-270T

Does anyone have the plug to plug measurement for the FA-270T. Before I buy I need to find out if it will fit inside my cowl.
    Thanks
    Barney

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito FA-270T

Not sure why you posted in the "Gas Engines", didn't know you could run the Saito 270 on gas. I have a 270T (glow) and it measures 7.25" plug to plug but the widest part is rocker cover to rocker cover 9.5". I would be interested in what you have to do to run on gas and how it performs.[img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Da83223.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	196925  
    I can only please 2 people every day and #2 just left.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Don....the rocker cover to rocker cover is what I needed. If I get it I will be putting a C&H ignition on it....more power, better propping, and lower idle. Thanks again )
    Barney

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CAL:

I hope yoiu know what you're getting into, with the gasoline conversion.

You will still have to use the high oil percentage, unless you modify the carb the needle will be very sensitive, it will be easier to overheat the engine, and the power will be less than it is on glow fuel, not more.

The only advantage of gasoling in this engine is a lowered fuel cost.

Bill.
    Real Airplanes have Two Engines
    AMA 25139 - More than 40 years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, I understand you should run glow with the ignition, but is it worth installing the ignition system or just run it the way it is.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don:

Thanks. I had not thought of continuing with the alcohol fuel when changing to spark ignition.

Maximum power will still be limited by the amount of fuel and air you can get into the engine, and spark or glow ignition wont make any difference there.

With timed spark you will definitely have more control over the ignition point, and in theory, you will be able to run just about any percentage nitromethane you want. The idle may well be a lot better too. But you will have the added weight of the spark system.

If your goal is greater operating range it may well be worth the weight and expense, but don't expect more raw power just from the CH ignition.

If you don't think the FA-270T is enough engine, either get a bigger four stroke, or hang a two stroke engine on the plane.

Bill.
    Real Airplanes have Two Engines
    AMA 25139 - More than 40 years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Power was not the concern, I just want a reliable, smooth running, easy starting engine. I just aquired this engine and am plannning on putting it in a 16 - 17 lb. bipe. Maybe I'll try it as it is and go from there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll put in my two cents worth on this one.
    You definately still need to run glow fuel after converting to ignition. If you can find a synthetic oil that will mix with gas, it might work, but you still need 16-18% oil content. As far as advantages, the main one is a smoother and MUCH slower idle. I haven't seen a 270 on ignition, but I have seen a 300. The idle could not have been over 800-900 rpm. You would almost have sworn you could have focused on a prop blade and kept up with it. Loved that plane. 1/3rd scale Taylorcraft with on board starter. Push it out on the taxiway. Turn on the starter. 4-5 turns of the prop and tic....tic....tic.... A few moments to warm up. Add a little throttle to taxi out. You get the idea!

Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey want to know if I could get some information on a satio 270 I have a brand new 270 it has never been flown or mounted. So my question would be what is it be worth today. I am not new to the RC aircraft any info would greatly be apreciated Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They are no longer made. Saito now makes the 300 which a a successor but few part interchange

The 270 is a good engine though
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: taildrager2

[font=''Trebuchet MS''][/font]
    Hey want to know if I could get some information on a satio 270 I have a brand new 270 it has never been flown or mounted. So my question would be what is it be worth today. I am not new to the RC aircraft any info would greatly be apreciated Thanks

As far as I know the 270T was introduced in 1984. The current twin is a 300T and it has many improvements and more power.

I recently bought a new 270T (unrun) here at RCU for $400. I have seen them sell other places for about the same.