Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tower Hobbies Engines, Good?

Old 10-11-2005, 09:48 PM
vertigo72480

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies Engines, Good?

I agree, I don't quite understand the comment from krosypal at all.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:49 PM
forestroke

i must add... i got my engines for maybe 70% of their cost in the states by buying them in hong kong. i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't exactly the same quality as those that went to farther shores.

and as with all chinese brands, you can never be sure what you're getting. some are screamers, some are duds.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:52 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Probably but

SuperTigre .51, twenty years, flawless running
SuperTigre .45, ten years, flawless running
SuperTigre .90, 8 years, flawless running
SuperTigre .35, .25, .15 etc

Maybe try a real engine with a real carb. ST made the first ABC engine and they never flake, peel, or require $60 cylinder / piston rebuilds. Try one.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:26 PM
forestroke

i've yet to buy a supertigre... but then again, i haven't bought a 2-stroke in a while. i'm all 4-strokers now and lovin' it.

well, that's not exactly true. i have bought a novarossi, a couple of sirios, a rex with the new rex 321 on the wish list
Old 10-12-2005, 08:12 AM
rambler53

Not to plug my market place ads, but go look at my 80 engine garage sale and it says it all. I've run more engines and not just OS. Many pilots compare FX to GMS. Sure, what a difference. Many pilots ran 5 engines as this forum proves. 5 engines. I've run over 300 engines. FX sucks compared to so many many engines of all time. But yes, I'll take a FX over a Tower engine, or a SK, Magnum, and Fox. But how many Picco's did you try? Ever see a Dynamix tach 18,000 rpm on a .40 Webra? Pylon racing engines are fantastic engines. German made engines are capable of outlasting all of us. I never had a Supertigre I didn't like less than a FX. I know many pilots locally that bash all other engines and say FX is the best because they only owned and started and flown FX and never tried another good engine. How about Rossi? For $30 more, you could have a real performance engine with .7 HP gain.

4 strokes are nice, but I find them to throw props sometimes and that scares me a little too much to lose health to play with engines. They can be a pain unless you put time in them after they age. But it's worth it I guess, they sound great, and they are torque monsters. But the issue was 2 strokes. Webra, Rossi, Picco, MVVS, and SuperTigre are my favorite all time manufacturers. Nothing tunes better than a SuperTigre carb. Most repair guys I deal with will replace a carb with a SuperTigre as tweaking the carb is possible and you can yield more RPMS.

FX is a fine mid grade engine. But rear needle valve engines? Plastic parts on the AX? Please. Don't compare a Honda to a Ferrari.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
forestroke

krosypal - well many people would argue that a honda is better than a ferrari in many respects. if dependability, reliability, low running costs and overall value is what the honda is known for and the honda is like the FX, i'd take the FX for airplanes for general flight. i might choose the ferrari only if i'm pylon racing, which i don't.

however, i do run hand made italian motors for my on-road cars, which is all about acceleration and top speed. if the engine quits? yell out to make sure no one plows into it and just walk out and collect it.

by the way, the 512TR the 355 and the 550 Maranello are my favorite modern day cars. 1989 porsche 911 speedster tops the list.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
rambler53

Honda performance was the point, not fan belt disasters, fast corrosion issues, and awful crash testing. Ferrari would blow away a VW by 50 mph, not to mention the blondes you can get with it are outnumbered on any Ferrari compared to a Steinfeld car. Seriously, the pylon engines are precisely made, lasting longer than any FX engine with 2+ hp giving it far more power to weight performance and reliability. No plastic back plate of the AX either. But some like vanilla at Baskin Robbins. I'm more into using pylon engines for everything. Why go backwards? How many put the FX aside and go back to LA engines? Trying to describe a pylon engine to FX users like like describing sex to a virgin. Until you experience it first hand, you'll never completely appreciate it. Buy a Rossi or MVVS and try to not take it out to the field every week, allowing your FX to gum up and get dusty for an eventual Ebay sale.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 AM
forestroke

well... i may consider it one day. but now i'm all about torque since i like to put put around doing basic acrobatics. flying for me is pure pleasure. i see people doing low pass after low pass with their screaming two strokes. i'm happy doing basic imac stuff with a four stroke. the fact i use fourstrokes basically tell you i'm not about speed.

i only have two two-strokes now, a TH75 and a O.S.32SX. the TH is pretty much grounded and the O.S. is waiting for a new plane. i would love to try a picco, rossi or jett but rarely find the inclination. i just don't like to fly fast!

on the other hand, i completely know what you're talking about when it comes to cars. comparing an o.s. to a j.p. modified FX engine is like comparing a slk to the slr.

anyway, the ferrari will probably attract the wrong kind of girl :-) (as would the tower hobbies:-)
Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 AM
aquaflight

I have had the Towers .46 BB ABC engine for 2 months. It seems OK but I don't think the rated HP is there. Also when I adjusted the low speed so that transition is fast I found the high end to be lean no matter how far I opened it. So I guess the low end has to be on the rich side which doesn't make for smooth transition. Too bad I bought it for a 3D plane. Anyone have the cure? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:09 AM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: forestroke

anyway, the ferrari will probably attract the wrong kind of girl :-) (as would the tower hobbies:-)

LOL is there any other kind? Maybe that's been my mistake...darn.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would adjust top first then low speed as most manufacturers recommend. I have successfully tuned a Tower .46 and they are little beast when tuned properly. For 3D go with a larger prop with a lower pitch. See if it will swing a 12X4. It will pull like crazy if it can keep the rpm's at around 12000.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:25 PM
vlizard

The .75 rocks.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:06 AM
rambler53

I've been running Picco and Rossi since this post, I'm happy with 18,000 rpm with a 9X6 prop. Fast little engines they are. I found a HB PDP .40 too, same race quality for the price of a crapola new OS LA .40.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Silverwing
My Feedback: (7)

I have three tower hobbies .46 engines on different planes. A trainer, a low wing aerobatic and a low wing pattern plane. All run great with tremendous power. I vary between a 10X6 and an 11X6 prop. Other than being touchy with the carb setup I wouldn't trade them for anything. I also have 2 thunder tiger 46 pro motors which deliver as advertised. I would agree that you get good and bad in any mfg. but experience is the best teacher. I will also agree that if you have a problem Tower will repair and generally replace the engine with no questions asked and the shipping is free. You can't beat that. Even with all the discussion so far I would trust Tower and Thunder Tiger the most.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:27 PM
painter downunder

does any one have a instruction manuel in english for a fs 120 asp 4 stroke pls send to [email protected] thank"s
Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 AM
forestroke

i think you can just download the O.S. manual. they are about the same. ASP and Magnum come from the same factory so I think you'll be okay in terms of not being ripped off. though i do believe that Magnum has a brand while ASP does not. thus, despite having the same engine, feel that you want the magnum brand, i'm sure that guy would have to refund you the money.

http://www.osengines.com/manuals/index.html

enjoy! i have one NIB. if you really want i can take picture of it and post it but looking at o.s.' should be sufficient.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Jasman
My Feedback: (37)

I've been very pleased with my Tower .40 which they don't sell anymore. The instructions say to turn the HS needle out three turns but it only takes between one and two turns to make it go. I had it in an LT 40 and it flew it flawlessly.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 AM
davidsai

hi fourstroke how are you
i noticed that you have a 47 gms i just got one and i am trying to break it in..

i am using a 10 x 7 prop , it starts great and keeps on going until i open up the carburetor as soon as i go past mid point it sputters and dies
i have run only about 6 oz of fuel on it i dont understand what is happening

any ideas?

i have been using a gms 61 for about a year with no problems whats so ever along with the os engines...
thanks regards
david
Old 02-24-2006, 01:04 AM
forestroke

i don't have a GMS 47. i have a TH 75 but i've had many friends with GMS 47s on WM supersports. the engines are great powerhouses but you need to literally throw in the towel to get them to stop.

if you've been running a 61 sucessfully i'm baffled why you couldn't get the 47 to run smoothly. i guess the only advice i have is to check the following:

1. make sure the high speed needle is not too lean. these engines are made with only marginal precision so you may have to bring the the high speed needle out much further than you expected. i had a chinese engine that ran only at around 3.5 turns out and beyond. at the same time, i have an engine that runs about half turn from closed. weird
2. low speed needle - if you're sputtering and dying, could it be too rich? lean it up a little if you can get full throttle only by inching up the throttle
3. there may be a kink in your fuel line somewhere. this simple thing can prevent fuel from flowing. just make sure that there is not kink in the system

i'm no engine expert so i hope others chime in!!!

the 10x7 is fine.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:04 AM
davidsai

that is rigth i have to take the neddle far out i will check the other neddle when full open carb its turning at 12300 rpm

regards
david
Old 02-24-2006, 10:50 AM
joshrchobbies
My Feedback: (4)

The only problem is every one in our club that has one can't get it to turn off with the throttle kill switch when it's tuned right . Run it a little rich and it will shut right off.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:12 AM
forestroke

12,300 is a great number!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:28 PM
skiman762

I have a TH46 and it is a little speed freak
They take allot longer to break in then other engines but well worth the wait in my opinion
I wouldn't even put it on a plane till it's had a gallon on the bench
then I would take the carb and fuel system apart and clean it up good and put a new glow plug in
Old 08-04-2006, 02:46 PM
ekrcflyer

Well, all I can speak aboiut is Tower .75, and I do not have a good opinion about it. When it is ran-in - it is a good powernouse/engine and it does the job of pulling the plane well, but I am certainly having an issue with a well known problem of air-leaking in the carb through the ring - which means you can't shut this engine with remote. The muffler is certainly a good thing on it. However I should say that Tower engine did not became my engine of choice.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:51 PM
rambler53

This is so common, inconsistent quality in those low dollar engines. If you get a good one, it's a bargain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.