Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS .45 Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 02:27 PM
dyerstown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS .45 Throttle Response

Have a YS .45 2 stroke (with built in pump) with a Hatori pipe. The throttle seems to not do much until about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, then it responds like I'm expecting. I have heard that this is typical of this engine/carb. It's difficult to land the plane with an idle that wants to shut down engine, or jump to mid range. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (BTY: I've run 20% and then 10% nitro. The 10% seems to have a worse throttle response.)
Old 12-20-2001, 09:36 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default YS

It's not typical of the engine and carb. Maybe a pipe problem though. I ran a YS 45 with stock side exhaust muffler for hundreds of flights. Excellent throttle response, reliability and power. Used a 10x8 APC prop and an Enya#3 plug. Omega 10-15% nitro. You also may need to adjust the regulator. Screwing it in a little will lean the low end.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:42 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Default YS 45

I have a YS45 with an Ultrathrust muffler/pipe. I had a similar problem with mine. I went from an 11 X 6 to an 11 X 5 and it worked fine. This may not work at all for you because of the difference in pipes. The stock muffler does run perfectly on this engine, but doesn't put out the power I need. I have been running 10-15% nitro fuel, and 18-20% oil. It seems to work better with the 18% oil. Castor or synthetic doesn't make a lot of difference. I also had to put in an extra head shim to extend my glow plug life.

Greg
Old 12-24-2001, 01:32 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Default YS

It sounds to me like either your pipe is too short or your low end is too rich. My YS has a nice linear response, that is why I got it in the frist place.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:58 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default YS .45 Throttle Response

Mine too did a similar thing until I put a smaller prop on it.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:30 PM
4point
My Feedback: (4)

Default ys 45

YS 45s are top of the line 2s!!!! regulator should be about even with the "lip" around the screw for starters. From the factory you may have to lean it (turn in) 1/2 turn NO MORE! When attaching pipes to these engines the throttle becomes more binary (on or off) as you cut the pipe length. This means that you will lose some mid-range as you cut the pipe but will idle very well might hesitate just slightly if idled along time the slammed to full. I use 30% heli fuel with apc 10x8 hatori header and pipe on f-20 "flying hyperdermic needle". I'd say somewhere above 14,500Rs is normal. My hi-speed is out 1.25 turns and every click makes a huge difference. I recommend that you set the regulator screw to even with lip and start 1.75 turns out you should be just fine...