Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Super Tiger G51 should I return it??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Super Tiger G51 should I return it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Tiger G51 should I return it??

Macs tune pipes and mufflers has what you need ,Tower Carry's a full line of there stuff or you can go straight to there website. http://www.macspro.com/tuned pipes.asp
There just one of many that has what you need for that engine.

Follow the manual for starters as to how many turns to open the High speed needle,as a rule 2 1/2 -3 from closed.
My ringed engines I always run slobbery rich for the first couple tanks then lean it a little at a time going from idle to WOT for a few seconds then back to idle,then maybe half throttlethen back to idle .I vary it quite allot A new engine at WOT will get hot very easy if its leans down to much., I also let the engine cool down between runs .4 maybe five 8 oz tanks is all I ever run thru one on the bench I do the rest in the air running rich, if it has a nice steady idle with no sign of quitting or running to hot. By that time both needles should be adjusted and the (cats eye)Spray Bar turned if needed.
Everyone has there own idea of how to break in a new engine, but this has worked well for me for 30 yrs so I guess i'll stay with it. A ABC engine breakin is another story.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:44 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking about awakening old threads...

Welcome to RCU!
Try using the 'Spell Check' when posting, as you have not 'baught' this engine... Use 'Edit' to make corrections.

Follow the owners manual for a good break-in of this ringed engine.
Adjustments of the carburettor will be best done with low-nitro (5%).

Jim (w8ye) can guide you on the mid-range adjustments, as they no longer appear in the manual.

The MVVS #3248 will run very well and be very flexible with it, but you would need a header to fit the ST.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:59 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flyup
Cyberwolf's method is very good for a ringed engine. I baught my G51 about 10 years ago and after the initial hour or so of bench running I put it into the air. I noticed a continual improvement in the way it ran for the first 15 hours (yes, fifteen ) before it settled down. But my type of flying needed it to be in a continual 4 stroke so this most likely stretched out the running in time considerably. The point is though that they really need to be kept somewhat on the rich side for quite some time after the bench running to complete the running in. They're a great engine but go easy on the nitro.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
JAYKOH
My Feedback: (13)

After years of using various Italian made ST's I purchase a NIB ST Chinese G-51 on the cheap from an ad in RCU. The engine had not been run when I got it and after several fustrating weeks of trying to get it to run at an acceptable level I trashed the carb that came with the engine and replaced it with one from an old wore out Italian made GS40 and now runs like it should. I really could not find anything "wrong'' with the original carb but can only assume it was the problem since it ran fine on the replacement ???????
Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Netxt time go here rather than bash the carb unfairly. http://www.supertigre.com/faq/product-faq.html#q22
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM
JAYKOH
My Feedback: (13)

Hey, thanks for the reply but after having done all the things listed in the link you sent I can only assume ''something'' was amiss with the original carb. May it rest in pieces. All I can say is that it runs like it should after swapping carbs.