Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Easy fix for glo motors KICKS

Old 03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Easy fix for glo motors KICKS

<<...close minded and not interested in what is available...>>

He said, from Mount Olympus. C'mon, Ed; don't be so elitist. It is not a matter of being close-minded. Its a matter of being amused. We're talking about an over-priced glow igniter, for Pete's sake; not an exotic servo matcher or other piece of gear that can give a competitor an edge.

And some sport flyers are not the technical pygmies you obviously think of us as. I'm as interested as the next fellow in new stuff; this is not new stuff. Its a proven concept with a slight twist; the so-called "soft start".

BTW, I'm STILL waiting to hear why this is needed; and what, if anything (besides the lithium batteries) is "better" about this device, compared to the Pro Driver III.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:02 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the soft start lets you get the engine spinning before power goes to the plug, helpful for nice, safe and pleasant starts on those big nasty four strokes...90% of modelers could care less but nobody is forcing them to buy this product either...

steve, nowhere in your first posts did you say anything about the NEW prodriver III with a similar delayed power feature, you just said prodriver....and after looking at the radio south site i would probably buy their product IF i was in the market for this feature. and not because of the price but because i prefer the mcdaniel plug clip to that nasty thing the rccat unit comes with....but then if i really NEEDED something like this i would just raid the junk box for the needed electronics and write a few lines of code for a pic

dave
Old 03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am far from closed minded. I flew (state) pattern for many years with a battery sloidered to a glow plug clip. In all of the contest I was in, the glow plug never cost me points in a flight.

Are you saying you need to spend that much to lite a glow plug to compete???? I thought this was a hobby. If I was making my living at it, I would still need to justify the cost.

Dru.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:34 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Expensive high end equipment may not be for everybody. Judging by the response to the original post it would seem that most are close minded and not interested in what is available.]

Shucks. I recken the rest of us hicks jest ain't in yore klass. I shore would admire to see you perform tho. Frum a perlte distance, natcherly, so you don't have ter look down yer nose.

jess
Old 03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Ed Smith

I am far from closed minded. I flew (state) pattern for many years with a battery sloidered to a glow plug clip. In all of the contest I was in, the glow plug never cost me points in a flight.
And at one time people lived in caves and used rocks for hammers. They worked perfectly for thousands of years and were free for the picking up!

Elitist I am not. Some people on this thread did not understand the application of this piece of equipment yet were still critical of it. Not exactly an open minded attitude.

I do not have a use for it but I am always interested in new stuff. It is called learning about things. I have now learned that there is a "New" Pro-Driver 111. In light of what has gone on before it is hardly likely anybody will take the trouble to describe it here. IS IT?

Ed S
Old 03-14-2005, 05:21 PM
LSP972

Well, Dave and Ed, I wasn't aware that the Pro Driver III had this "soft-start" feature. I have the Pro Driver II, which adjusts the power to the plug as needed. But it does so as soon as you push the button. The fact that the Pro Driver III DOES have this feature simply reinforces my position... kinda sorta. I learn something new here almost every day.

FWIW, Dave, I've been running those big, nasty four strokes for many years, starting them with everything from the Pro Driver II to a discarded glow plug clip electrical-taped to a flashlight battery; using chicken sticks and electric starters. I have yet to notice anything especially not nice, unsafe, or unpleasant about the experience.

And, Ed; I've got the picture on WHAT the soft-start feature does. I'm just not sure WHY some feel it is necessary. What I really wanted to know was what makes Chip think the Pro Driver is "not even close" to this new device. But you're right; I probably won't get an answer.

10-22...
Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
jessiej

[Elitist I am not. Some people on this thread did not understand the application of this piece of equipment yet were still critical of it. Not exactly an open minded attitude.]

Actually more people than you suspect grasped the use and function of this product, which I am sure you will agree fits a rather small niche market. While I am sure you did not intend to appear eletist I fear that was the tone of your post.

My concern is that while the vast majority of modelers will have no use for this product the tone this thread has taken seems to have pitted the (elete, professional, upper class, knowledgeabel or whatever term you choose) aganst what is doubtless the vast majority of the market for products aimed at our hobby.

In model aviation there has always been a small group at the most esoteric end of the hobby who have a need for a product that is, at best, unneeded by all the "spear carriers." C/L speed is a good example, or perhaps the $3-5,000 "rubber band models" used in international Wakefield competition (far more complex than the vast majority of RC models BTW) .

My point being that manufacturers, marketers , and consumers need to be aware of the purpose of the product, and not demeaning of those who lack either the desire or need for that device.

jess

Old 04-02-2005, 11:43 PM
bentgear

I'm just wondering how many of you guys thought about it a few days and put one on order?

Ed M.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 PM
LSP972

I looked at it yesterday; it was exactly what I expected.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Circa 1966, I would buy two packs of carbon-zinc D cells and then wire them in parallel (4 cells total), soldering right to the batteries. You have to be quick and have a seriously hot soldering iron in order to get away with this! The Weller 500 watter worked just fine on the 250 watt setting. I am not advising anyone to do this. I was not aware of the danger I was in at that time. I used lamp cord from a new el cheapo extension cord and a Dubro glow plug clip. This crude combination, with copious amounts of black electrical tape applied, would often last me over a year of constant service. I flew control line back then and this was before electric starters were common.

The above set up worked reliably year after year (making a new pack every Spring - of course) until I began using a field box with a glow ignition panel that was powered by a 12 volt lead acid battery. The latter set up, while reliable most of the time, was not as reliable as the old carbon-zinc battery set up.

Later, I began using nicads in their familiar Dubro holders. They were reliable too, if you remembered to charge them.

I worked in outside sales for a good portion of my life. The first thing we were taught to do was to create a problem and then offer the solution - for a price. Some things never change.

Isn't capitalism grand? <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

the key to Carbon-Zinc (and Alkaline today) success, in addition to the copious amounts of current you can get from 4 D-Cells, is the 1.5 volts vs. the 1.2 Volts of NiCd's... that extra 20% of voltage means A LOT !!!!

[:-]
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Marine_S7

Did you know the Radio South Pro driver will start a flooded engine, it truly is a aw some tool for the guy who has everything (or wants everything), and if you think this is expensive you should see some of my planes, LOL, and if their is a new tool or gagit i can get for my flight box i am one of the first in line, that is after i find out if it is any good
Old 09-19-2006, 09:44 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Thanks DV for the late breaking news, but since I know electronics very well, IMHO I don't think it's worth the price.
You're not kidding! $112.95 for a glow driver? [X(] I guess I'll stick to my 20 year old power panel, $15 12v battery, and glow clip. Don't want to have to get a second mortgage on the house just to make a glow plug wire turn bright orange.

--------------

These are intended for the pattern flyers that used to wear the tee shirts with the little alligators sewn on the front. (snicker)
Old 09-19-2006, 10:13 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: jessiej

[I didn't miss it, Dave. I've asked about it twice in the thread; still waiting for an answer/explanation. ]

I too am curious as to why I need a "soft start". Perhaps it is something I can't do without?

jess

---------------

Thanks for letting us know about it, OP.

However, from my perspective, it appears to be a solution looking for a problem. Which does not mean I will never buy one - knowing me.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM
bentgear

Since this thread started I have checked the website periodically...........for what reason I don't know. Either they manufacture 2 or 3 units per month or sales are doing a good business.

Ed M.