Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Easy fix for glo motors KICKS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 02:40 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy fix for glo motors KICKS

I have just finished testing a new product that is really a blessing for all of us that fly glo-motors. Its a glo driver that has a ton of really neat yet simple features and is readily available. The most important thing that has been incorporated into it, is a timing feature like what I have seen used by all the Japanese team members for the past couple of World Championships. I thought it was awesome and have tried (unsuccessfully) for four years to get it incorporated into the glo drivers that most are using today. Well the wait is over. Michael Luvara, RCAT Systems has listened to me plead our cases and come up with IMO the ULTIMATE GLOW PLUG IGNITOR. I will give a brief description, but you guys can see all about it on there web site.
Here is the contact info so you can go and see how awesome this thing really is. www.rcatsystems.com is the web address and 408-292-9794 is there phone number.

What the timer does is delays the lighting of the plug until after you get the prop spinning. Then instead of dumping all the power to the plug at once it does it gradually. By doing it that way you avoid that bone crushing bang that the glo engines do when they are loaded up. It has a series of LED's that are easily visible and let you know what stage you are in. Another plus is the batteries that are in this thing, I have heard from others, that they have gone 6 months to a year without charging theres. I am sold on it and really believe its going to revolutionize the glo driver market, or I wouldn't be posting this.
By the way the on off switch is really cool the way it works, its pressure sensative through the case itself. No more switches that get bumped once and run your batteries dead.
Finally a manufacture has listened to some simple requests and really made a product that most will agree is AWESOME.
Anyhow I just want to pass this on and hope it will help smooooooooth out the starting process a little.

Chip

Old 03-11-2005, 02:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Easy fix for glo motors KICKS

As of 2-17-05 note...

Glow Driver Out of Stock, posted on 17 Feb 2005
Due to demand exceeding supply, we are currently out of stock of our Lithium Glow Driver. The next batch is expected in mid-March. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Jim
Old 03-11-2005, 05:57 AM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DV for the late breaking news, but since I know electronics very well, IMHO I don't think it's worth the price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39177.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	242096  
Old 03-11-2005, 08:17 AM
downunder

I hand start everything....how does it know when I'm about to flick the prop?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Looks like a Radio South Pro-Driver that has had some turd polish applied... with an appropriate increase in price, of course.

Not dissing you personally, Chip. But its not a new concept.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like a nice glow driver....now, if they could get the price down to
about $39.95....

FBD.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:56 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Thanks DV for the late breaking news, but since I know electronics very well, IMHO I don't think it's worth the price.
You're not kidding! $112.95 for a glow driver? [X(] I guess I'll stick to my 20 year old power panel, $15 12v battery, and glow clip. Don't want to have to get a second mortgage on the house just to make a glow plug wire turn bright orange.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will use my C sized battery that I solider brass tube on the ends so I can use the $3.99 glow plug clip. I spend way to much on this hobby to look at a glow plug driver for that much. That is a lot of money to get a glow plug to glow.

Dru.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:36 PM
The PIPE

A 2 volt lead acid battery and a GERMANIUM power transistor do the job for me LOLOL...

Dear Double-Vision:

The PIPE Here once again...and from what you can find at http://www.tnrtechnical.com/anonshop...K4FV9SRJ2REGXE (WHEW- a LONNNNNG one) and also what can be found at http://www.nteinc.com/Web_pgs/Germanium.html (it's the "PNP" polarity part No.27 that I use from that second linked page) one can cobble up a GREAT glow plug power source...

...a "German-ium Secret Glowplug Weapon" !!!!

The 2 volt lead acid battery's positive terminal gets hooked up to the emitter pin of that power transistor, with the base pin connection, AND the negative terminal of the battery, getting hooked up to the glow plug clip's wires...the collector connection on a power transistor like that is on the metal CASE of the transistor, and is not used for the "GSGW's" connections.

A germanium power transistor's "base-emitter junction" voltage drop is NOTICEABLY lower than a conventional SILICON power transistor's similar voltage figure...something like 0.5 to 0.6 volts for the germanium POWER transistor (although it COULD even be slightly less that that) versus at LEAST a volt for a silicon power transistor junction.

I've had my "prototype" of my unit since the mid-1980s, and it only took a NEW Hawker lead-acid cell to rejuvenate it for flying nowadays in the New Millenium...it's lighting my OS Type F glow plugs NICELY with a BRIGHT orange glow, after a charging run on one of my SuperNovas...I'm hoping to shoot some DIGITAL photos of my current unit, AND its "innards", over this weekend to show my fellow RCUers what I've got to get my four strokers going...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:29 PM
RC-Captain

Hell ....I dont even have a mortgage yet and would never get one buying expensive stuff like this glow driver.

But to ease up on double a little, this plug will actually let you know when to apply the starter, instead of guessing the plug is hot enough. Oh well I guess this company will lose alot of money on this one. It is funny how they say there aren't any available until may. I guess they want to see who will pay to reserve the plug.

I hand start everything....how does it know when I'm about to flick the prop?
You have alot of patience my brother ALOT OF PATIENCE.

I will use my C sized battery that I solider brass tube on the ends so I can use the $3.99 glow plug clip.
I have a HOT SHOT -2- and I use your method as back up , but I made my own clips, positve to the nipple of glow plug and negative to any where on the motor's body. .
Old 03-11-2005, 07:36 PM
LSP972

<<...will actually let you know when to apply the starter..>>

?????????????????????????????

In the first place, how do it know?

In the second place, so what? Forgive me, but I seem to be missing the importance of this...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this for just starting the engine or for keeping the glow plug ignited in flight? I've never had any problems with any of my glow plug drivers except for when I forget to charge the battery. Still it only takes a few minutes to charge.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Gentlemen,

A few notes and clarifications about the Smart Lithium Glow Driver.

It is a sophisticated ground based glow driver that incorporates some features previously not included in any other glow driver, including lithium ion batteries (4400mah of them). It also has an integral charging system and safety circuitry. The unit is of course not for everyone and that was understood when it was decided to be put into production. It is also not simply a transistor hooked to a battery and does compensate for fouled plugs, etc to keep the voltage constant at 1.5V. I’m sure if you actually knew what was inside, you wouldn’t say that it is expensive.

All products that my company manufactures are made in the USA. This means USA assembly labor, USA made PC boards, plastic case, silkscreening and as many components as we can possibly find that are USA made (pretty tough). I will not offshore any of our products. To the desire of some, the price could be cheaper if it was sent offshore, but I believe there is something to be said about keeping jobs here in the USA. In almost all circumstances, this means a higher price and in my opinion, that is worth the price of making them here.

Chip had asked me for a custom feature which was a timed delay before the unit comes on. After he presses the button, it takes approximately 5 seconds before the soft start feature is initiated and the plug is then slowly lit over a period of time (<2 sec). This is so that he can spin his four strokes with an electric starter and the driver will kick in while its spinning over. Right now, when one turns an un-modified unit on, the plug glows to brightness over a short duration (soft start), so that it is not pounded with current. The LED bar graph on the top shows you how much current is being supplied to the plug (each LED equals 1/2 an amp). Oddly enough, it will compensate for high loads, even holding a glow plug lit under water. I also haven't charged the prototype in a year and use it just about every weekend.

We did run out of the first batch and more are on their way. Thanks for your interest and comments

Regards,
Michael Luvara
Owner, RCAT Systems
Old 03-12-2005, 09:37 AM
LSP972

Thanks for the clarification. But, minus the li-pos and the "soft start" feature, you just described a Radio South Pro Driver. The soft start will be of dubious value to most modelers.

Not criticizing your product here; I'm sure it is a quality item that does what you say it does. Many of us feel that it is priced, well, a bit on the exhorbitant side; especially when the other product does essentially the same thing for half the money.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't care if it can sing and dance... At that price I'll just stick to my 1700 mAh nicads... They start everything from four strokes to racing engines... what more do you need?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82770.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	242591  
Old 03-12-2005, 07:04 PM
jessiej

I get 1-2 flip starts with a plain 'ol alkaline d cell. As far as knowing when the plug is "hot enough", by the time I hook the clip to the plug and move my hand to the prop it is ready.

I am sure this device will be the answer to a prayer for some, but for me it is an elegant and costly solution to a nonexistant problem.

jess
Old 03-12-2005, 07:10 PM
RC-Captain

Did you guys see the $110.00 QUIET PIPE ?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Hey guys nobody is forcing anyone to buy this product. I saw it on RCU ordered one, tried it, and thought to myself "Gee, I wonder how many people even know that a glo driver like this exists" It is not essentially the same as the radio south one, not even close other then the fact they both, in the end glo a plug. I have used the radio south one for years and its a really good product, I just don't like the fact that if I am by myself I can't start the motor spinning before the plug is hot. Thats it.

Anyway this was the first and last time I will mention something about any product on here, and from the way it sounds I am the only Dumb--- that has this problem to begin with. Sorry for the post, just trying to help, but after being ridiculed by all the pros. I will just stick to reading, not writing><LOL>

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Thanks for the clarification. But, minus the li-pos and the "soft start" feature, you just described a Radio South Pro Driver. The soft start will be of dubious value to most modelers.

Not criticizing your product here; I'm sure it is a quality item that does what you say it does. Many of us feel that it is priced, well, a bit on the exhorbitant side; especially when the other product does essentially the same thing for half the money.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:56 AM
LSP972

Sorry you got your feelings hurt. But if you'll look again at my initial post, Chip, you'll see where I made it a point to say I was not making fun of you, etc., personally. We thank you for having enough interest to bring this to our attention. But you should know by now that modelers are a jaded lot...

And, in fact, I'm not making fun of this product. But a hundred bucks for a glow starter? I thought I was being ridiculous when I paid fifty bucks for my Pro Driver II. I now see that the Pro Driver III is $75, so the price difference between the two items isn't as great as I had thought.

But I have two questions for you, Chip. First, you stated that the Pro Driver "isn't even close" to this new gadget. I take that to mean that the new device is far ahead of the Pro Driver? Exactly how so? As I stated earlier, aside from the lithium batteries and "soft start' feature, I don't see any difference. Clue me in.

Second, exactly why is it important to get the engine turning over before the plug is lit? Must be a YS thing, eh?

BTW, these are not trick questions designed to ridicule you. I am simply asking you to amplify your previous statements, as I'm curious.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I have been using the "Simple Glow driver " that Geistware posted for a few years now. Its a simple on /off deal . Sometimes I leave it on the entire flight, sometimes I don't. Doesn't hurt anythng and costs lest than $15.

You need to understand how RCU works. Its a discussion, not a lecture. If I start a thread on how great i think Sullivan Tanks are, well many will agree and many won't and start talking about Hayes, then before you know it the thread which started out with fuel tanks ends up discussing elevator servos??

Just because a person does not agree with you does not mean your being insulted or flamed. Shoot if I had a nickel for every time I have ticked somebody off here, I'd own a Turbine.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:44 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey snoop, give me a dollar for every time you've changed your user name and i'll buy a turbine too!

the soft-start delay feature is the point that everyone here missed...they just saw the price and started screaming. for those who do need this feature this product will be more than welcome and i bet the manufacturer sells every last one made.

...and hayes tanks suck...

dave
Old 03-14-2005, 07:53 AM
LSP972

I didn't miss it, Dave. I've asked about it twice in the thread; still waiting for an answer/explanation.

I'm also still waiting for an expansion on the statement that this new gadget is "far above the Pro Driver".

Okay; 'splain it to me, please.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only reason I can think of to have a delay on the glow plug, is to allow the person to spin the engine over first, to get the engine over and through TDC. If I have a problem with a four stroke engine like that I just flip the engine backwards and then it fires without going over TDC and runs in the correct direction.

I am sure the unit is well made and does fill an open spot for some modelers out there. I just find it hard to spend that much on something to light the plug. I am sure other will find it the best product on the planet and could not have as much fun without it.

As Mr Campbell has said, we can be a jaded lot.

Dru.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:35 PM
jessiej

[I didn't miss it, Dave. I've asked about it twice in the thread; still waiting for an answer/explanation. ]

I too am curious as to why I need a "soft start". Perhaps it is something I can't do without?

jess
Old 03-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Ed Smith

Expensive high end equipment may not be for everybody. Judging by the response to the original post it would seem that most are close minded and not interested in what is available. These Forums are not the exclusive domain of the average sport flier, whatever that is. Some of us participate in this hobby at a much more intense level than others. We like to hear about any developement in equipment. I appreciate the effort of those that offer this information. The response here however will certainly not encourage similar informative posts.

Those of us that compete Nationally or Internationally usually will buy the higher end equipment, IF WE KNOW ABOUT IT! My "Local" contests are usually an 8-10 hour drive from my home. I have spent thousands of Dollars shipping myself and my equipment to other countries for international competition. There would be nothing more frustrating or embarrassing to arrive and find the glow driver did not work. At that point a $120 guaranteed to work glow driver would seem pretty cheap.

Somebody came on to this Forum and offered information to whoever would be interested. I would rather read what he has to say than all of the naysayers who ridiculed the post.

Ed S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.