Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS-140L Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:55 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default YS-140L Question

Is the YS-140L worth the extra $100 or so over the sport YS-140? How much more power does it produce and why doesn't it come with a muffler? Is there a "standard" muffler you can use if you don't want to use a tuned pipe? I'm asking these questions in regards to making a decision on which to purchace for my new Goldberg Obsession.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 04-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: YS-140L Question

The 140L makes 3+ HP on 30% nitro, the Sport makes 2.7, nitro not specified. RPM not specefied for either, a prop size and rpm number would be far more useful. Richard L. will probably provide that when he sees this.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Big Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig

The YS 140L is considered to be much more finicky than any of the late model YS engines. The 140DZ (or the current version of that, the 160DZ) is much better in all respects than the "L" model. I have read this on the YS manufacturer's forum with Dave Shadel. It's also my understanding that the "L" is no longer being manufactured having been replaced by the DZ. Tower may still have some L's in stock however.

I have a 140DZ on my Sig Cap 213ex and it is a real gem. Unbelievable power and response. Very reliable, too.

According to Chip Hyde's old forum, the 140 Sport had the best transition of all the YS's up until the introduction of the 160 DZ. It's also set up with a pressurized tank like most pumped engines so if you're familiar with that you might like it. The DZ's run a vented tank and have direct mechanical fuel injection. The Sport has a carb. I've never had a Sport but a friend has one in his DP Ultimate and he loves it. I've read that the Sport has about the same power as a Saito 180. The DZ's , once again according to what I read on the YS Manufacturer's Forum, have about 1/3 more power than the Sport. I have no personal knowledge of this however.

Check out Central Hobbies for the best prices on YS engines although Chief Aircraft and OMP are fairly close in price.

Good Luck

Big Mike
Old 04-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Big Mike

Craig

About mufflers, if you don't want to go with a tuned pipe (they are really nice and QUIET) you can get various mufflers and headers from Central Hobbies and Perfomance Specialties. I run a Slimline Pitts without smoke (too much restriction). About $80 from Tower, if I recall. Kind of bulky but I like the kind of "Glass Pack" sound. The same mufflers are used on the 120, 140, and 160. I've also used a straight pipe off an OS120 (I think). It was a little too rappy for my taste. None of the bigger YS's come with a header or a muffler. Dunno why...

Big Mike
Old 04-03-2005, 05:00 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Big Mike,

Thanks for the info...exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like the DZ is the way to go if I feel I need the extra power. Unfortunately it's a big price jump over the Sport ($200 plus muffler). Do you think the Sport is adequate for a 12 lb airplane for reasonable 3D performance?

Once again, thanks,

Craig
Old 04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

The actual HP ratings are posted on the YS engines suport forum one of the top threads. It seems the Saito 180 has a slightly higher HP than the 140 sport but I highyl doubt its noticable. 2.7 for the YS and 2.8 for the Saito.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

My 140L runs like a watch-never had a tuning problem-and turns a 17x8 APC 8500 rpm with a Slimline Pitts muffler and 15% Omega fuel and flies my 14lb DPM Extra with plenty of authority. I wish I had a nickle for every YS motor that was discontinued after one or two batches, but I assume they cannot produce every engine forever, and need to allocate resources to new projects. If I could get another one for the same price I paid Horizon for the first, I would jump at it. Jim