Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cleaning with dishwashing powder

Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning with dishwashing powder

I've never been keen on using poisonous liquids to clean an engine but what I'd always used in the past was aluminium saucepan cleaner in a pressure pack. It was fantastic stuff but for some reason it's been taken off the supermarket shelves. But I read somewhere that dishwashing powder did a very good job so I've been trying it out. Today I used it to clean up one of my engines that I've been too ashamed to let anyone see

I've put together the before and after photos of the worst parts to show the difference. There's still a few traces showing but all in all I'm quite pleased with the results and I didn't poison myself or any animals either. The piston skirt cleaned up in a matter of minutes (that was just castor varnish) but the crown needed a bit of scraping with a finger nail and a couple of soakings. The muffler was the hardest to clean and I had to soak that for maybe 3 hours.

This engine has done about 30 hours in a 4 stroke with a lot of castor which explains the carbon on the piston crown. But both the piston and liner looked absolutely perfect with a nip that starts at 30 degrees BTDC (that's just to stir things up a bit ).

For anyone who's wondering, it's a Stalker PRO 61RE which is a cross flow (non Schneurle) ABC and weighs 14.2 ounces with my prop extension (the part in front of the blue bit).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98378.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	259719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47549.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	259720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38039.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	259721  
Old 04-18-2005, 12:26 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning with dishwashing powder

what's a "pressure pack"? the aussie equivalent to the pressure cooker? is it also needed with the new powder? what brand of powder?

dave
Old 04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOT BAD ! but I have a question, after doing this extensive cleaning, do you have to break the engine in again ? Seems like on the pistion you got rid of a nice slippery coat of cooked castor. The crankcase didnt really look to bad , but the muffer [X(], well you get the point.

P.S. no sleeve ?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:21 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I think pressure pack is Aussie for airesol, aerosal, aw nuts...SPRAY CAN (there! bad Porky Pig imitation )

DU, how much detergent did you mix with how much water? Warm or hot water probably?
Looks like it didn't hurt the anodizing on the head either?! Cool!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:48 PM
downunder

With the piston I only had it in the detergent for a few minutes. I took it out and wiped the skirt with my fingers and all the brown varnish just fell off. When I put the engine back together and primed it for a run the piston once again had a nice coating of slippery castor, but clear castor this time There's no necessity to run it in again.

The mix I've been using is about 6:1 (water/powder) but I haven't experimented to find out how little powder you can use. The powder I use seems to take a long time to dissolve so I boil it up and give it a good stir then let it cool down before putting any parts in it. Just warm water seems to work fine, about at a point where it's uncomfortable putting your hand in it to rescue the bits although with that muffler I let it sit simmering for a while.

Yep, it's got a normal chromed brass sleeve.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Pepe J
My Feedback: (2)

Looks Good Downunder, I'll give that a try next time. Domestic brands of dishwasher detergent in North America contain "bleach". This maybe why it's so effective. A little chlorine bleach and water soaking in the steel thermos will remove those coffee and tea stains. I would think that liquid dishwasher detergent would also do the job with out trying to dissolve the granules of the powdered type?

Just a word to the UNWISE here, and this was once published a few years ago in one of "Tips" section of a popular model magazine about mixing "liquid dishwasher detergent" and ammonia to clean the oil residue from the covering. They may have meant "liquid dish soap" which would probably be alright. DO-NOT mix dishwasher detergent with ammonia our you'll be creating your own little cloud of mustard gas!

(Not a problem if its a Eindecker or Fokker )
Old 04-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Ernie Misner

Which detergents is it that we have to watch out for.... that will turn shiny aluminum to an ugly grey tone! ?

Ernie
Old 04-28-2005, 12:56 PM
balsaworks

I have used dishwasher powder for a couple of years to clean dirty engines and it has worked fine. Last time however, when I cleaned an Enya 90-4C crankcase, it came out a distinctive dark grey.
Doesn’t look too bad, but it wasn’t quite what I expected.
Photo below shows "dishwasher powder treated" engine on the right, compare to original finish of the left hand engine.
The new dark grey finish is very thin and scratches easily. I suspect the powder brand wasn’t suitable for this use. It has a very distinctive smell of lemon.
Has anyone else had this happen? Is the lemon-smelling dishwasher powder the problem or is it something else?

Tomas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68453.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	264239  
Old 04-28-2005, 01:56 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I tried this on an engine and muffler a couple of days ago. It did not clean nearly as well as cooking in antifreeze and discolored aluminum castings, but not the aluminum sleeve on the muffler. Back to the crockpot for me (or rather my engines & mufflers!)
Old 04-28-2005, 02:59 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I've had very good luck with the crockpot/antifreeze method...but there are some alloys that will darken in that treatment too. I think Enyas use a different alum. alloy in their cases?

Tomas...I tried this stuff that was supposed to be for jewelry and silverware cleaning that came w/ a vibrating cleaner. It's blue and smells like that old "home perm" stuff my mom used to use back in the 70's...consequently, I have an O.S. .61FS that has the same shade of gray
Old 04-28-2005, 10:16 PM
mrdish

I have never tried the dishwashing powder or the anti-freeze in the crock pot. But what I have had very excellent results was with something you buy in an auto parts store. It's called Aircraft Coating or Paint Remover. Over the years different companies have labeld it with different names. It's specifically for Aluminum and other metals. In the past I used the Demon Engine cleaner but that stuff was costly for a small can. But with the Coating Remover you get a 32 oz. can for about $11.00. It works great, no greying and all you do is brush or spray it on, wait about 15 minutes and then you just rinse it of with cold water. I got mine in Checker Auto under the name of Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating Remover.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had some aluminum cleaning powder that was used with water, and cleaned
my pontoon hulls on the boat. The stuff was used with Scotch-Brite pads, and
it foamed-up when you used it. I think they took it off the market, but I may
still have the box out in the shed....I'll see if I can find it.

They may still sell the stuff in other States....no longer in Calif. That stuff was the
best aluminum cleaner I ever saw, and it did not discolor. Check at a Marine
supplies store, and ask if they have a powdered aluminum cleaner....I'll bet
it's the same stuff.

FBD.