Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 72 - Do I need new bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 07:56 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito 72 - Do I need new bearings?

Good show Luis...glad you got it running o.k.

One tip though about inserting a new rear bearing...If you chill the crank and warm the R. bearing, it'll fall right on to the crank. Then chill that "assembly" and warm the case and the crank/R. bearing will slip right in perfectly first time..

I put the well oiled crank in a baggie then into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to chill it. Sometimes just holding the bearing in the palm of your hand will warm it enough, or a heat gun if nessessary.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Maelstrom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: proptop

One tip though about inserting a new rear bearing...If you chill the crank and warm the R. bearing, it'll fall right on to the crank.
Sorry, Proptop, I am not sure I am following you. If you Chil the crank it will get smaller, if you warm the Rear Bearing it will get larger. That combination would make it even more difficult to insert the new bearing. Did you mean to say the opposite? ( chill the bearing and warm the crank?)

Another question: now that the new bearings are in, how much "breaking-in" if any, do I have to do?

Thanks

Luis
Old 05-03-2005, 07:33 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the new rear bearing on the crank first, and by chilling the crank and warming the bearing, it'll slip right on...

Then, put the oiled crank with rear bearing in (the baggie ) the freezer again to chill them both. Then the crank will center the bearing in the case as you slide it in, it won't get cocked in the bore, and a gentle tap w/ a piece of dowel will make sure the assembly is all the way in...

Then, while the crank is still cool and the case is still warm, install the front bearing.

Roger Wilco?