Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

proper way to get pipe length correct

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

proper way to get pipe length correct

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 07:00 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default proper way to get pipe length correct

On my YS.45 two stroker.

It seems like after half throttle it loses RPM, anyone know what the proper length of the pipe and header would be? I run 15% nitro byrons in it, it runs great right now, just think there may be more at full throttle, its got the blade type carb.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2001, 03:53 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipe length

I don't have much experience with tuned pipes but from what I have, I have made a few applications for some funfly planes.
what I do is after I have determined which prop I will use, I work the pipe to that application. I believe that a different prop will change how much a pipe will give back.
Once I have the engine and prop on a test stand I start testing.
all adjustments are made on the header cutting off piece by piece usually 1/4-1/3 inch at a time until I reach a max rpm. At some point the rpm's stop increasing as the header gets shorter. then another 1/4 inch or so and they decrease. that's the mark. now to get back the last decrease you extend the distance 1/4 between the header and the pipe using the silicone connecter.
what I like to do is but up the header and the pipe inside the silicone tube so that when I hit the mark I can easily back it out to get the rpms back by leaving some space inside the silicone connecter.
besides the cost of the header, I can make a home made pipe for under 5 dollars..
on my 32sx i gained 1500 rpm's
on my 46fx i gained 800 rpm's