Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Who is selling Seidel radial engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Who is selling Seidel radial engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Spuetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who is selling Seidel radial engines?

Hello Dick,

whow, that's sounds like me!
I have a couple of hours and some aerobatics instruction in a Buecker Jungmann. That was fun! A friend of mine owns it in Spain.

I am also a member of [link=http://www.vintageflight.com]dreamflight[/link] and there in Corona I flew about 10 hours on a AT6 (which was sold) and another ten on our beautiful DC-3 named Rose. That's flying. Have flown a Tiger Moth and a Stearman as well...
When I flew the AT6 my instructor would say: "hey, what do you think? are there more GErmans or more Japanese down there?" " more Germans!" would be my answer and than we banked over one wing and flew a mock strafing attack over the airfield until the prop almost touched the pavement of the runway. I would pull up straight into the sky after it and he would scream "don't stall the airplane!!!!!". Me stalling an airpane? I know what they do! I sense it, I feel it, I hear it, I breathe it! I knew that she wouldn't stall an me! It was an awesome lot of fun! And that 9 cyl 600 hp radial! Gooooooose bumps, I am telling you!

Here in Germany flying is very regulated by law, money and weather (Portland is wet? I laugh at that...). To keep a vintage biplane up and running will be quite dear, as they say in Sydney. Bloody unaffordable! So I fly my Bonanza every now and then and otherwise enjoy the models. Building them, flying them, fixing them... [:@]
Oh yes, I had my fair share of crashes. Only recently I stacked my Corsair. It was the kyosho Corsair, equipped with CJ-pressurized retracts and a RCV 60 engine. Engine died on me as I was flying inverted. Too bloody bad...

Cheers, Martin

Here are some pics of me at the wheel of the DC3, of the Jungmann and the AT6:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79389.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	274064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21633.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	274065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41962.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	274066  
Old 05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Reg Hinnant
My Feedback: (9)

Yes, its a Standard!
We had a lovely 30 minute flight in it at Kermit Weeks Fantacy of Flight a few weeks ago when I was at Top Gun in Fla.
You would need someone to fabricate a front exhaust collector.

Name:	Ay73444.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	274149  
Old 05-21-2005, 03:12 AM
Spuetz

ORIGINAL: Reg Hinnant

You would need someone to fabricate a front exhaust collector.
Hi Reg,

I'm your man again on that. I am just having a collector made for my Stieglitz by Kelvin Cubbison (look at his [link=http://www.keleo-creations.com/]website[/link]. Kelvin is making it from Aluminum and then I will have it copper plated. The Original Siemens collector ring is is very similar to the one in the Standard, although not exactly the same. But the casts are being made and one could then make another couple of rings, if it is not too much of a problem, that it is slightly different. Or one uses the main ring and makes different tubes connecting to it. Here's a picture of the original Siemens SH 14:

Name:	Nl30086.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	274248  
Old 05-21-2005, 03:18 AM
Spuetz

What's the engine on the Standard? I see that it has the pushrods in the back... What's the make and model.? Do you know?
Old 05-21-2005, 05:18 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Martin:

The engine on the Standard is a Wright J-6. It and the Kinner radials were two of the very few with the cam rings behind the cylinders. Biggest give-away on the J-6 is having the exhaust rocker boxes finned, while the inlet boxes are not.

Bill.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:33 AM
rtparr

Hi Martin and Reg! Can't thank you enough for the wonderful responses to who is making Seidel radials, along with the photos you posted on this site. I'm off to Oregon Thursday and have miles to go before I sleep, so I will have to shut down at this end. Reg, thanks again for the offer on the 770. Will let you know in about two weeks whether I can manage it. In the meantime, if a concrete offer comes along, don't hesitate. Martin, again my thanks for the photos and the info. Loved the picture of you sitting in the cockpit of the DC-3. They flew over my parents' house (West Coast Airlines) on the approach to the Lewiston, Idaho, airport back in the early Fifties when I was only twelve, and it was always one of my dreams to get some hours in one. How I envy you! One of these days when my ship comes in I will come and visit you in your retirement home in Alice Springs, a cold bottle of Riesling in my hand. Will catch up with both of you when I'm Stateside and up and running on the net again. Until then, all the best! Dick
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM
chasrb

Martin, hello, I am over here from the Flair 1/4 Stearman forum! I have just gotten the price on the ST 710 here in the States, it is $2900 US plus the shipping. I wonder if it would be worth the extra $1100 Us for the R780 (Like Cybertom has) from Robart just for sake of having any problems fixed. Regardless I think I am going to send the check, (no Amex accepted) and get this engine anyway. I need to get it so I can get started on my Stearman. I think I'll also get the Robart tailwheel that was made for the Zirolli 1/4 Stearman,

Cheers
Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Reg Hinnant

Sure you dont want a ST-770?
Much cheaper than those your looking at!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
chasrb

Martin, any flight videos yet?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:56 PM
chasrb

What are the differences in the two? I have not found out yet, myself.

BTW How's Corpus? I have not been there in a while. Used to go a lot when I was living in SA.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Reg Hinnant

Hi chasrb,
Spuetz could tell us the difference! [X(]MARTIN, WHERE ARE YOU?
Currently CC is hot as Hell. Its been over 100 each day for the last 2 weeks (102 yesterday)and thats on the water not inland! [:@]
Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Spuetz

Hello everyone...
Sorry, didn't see the messages earlier.

The main difference between the ST 770 and ST 710 is, that the ST 770 is not made anymore. It is the predecessor to the ST 710
Constructionwise, the ST 710 has a three piece mashined housing, whereas the ST 770 had a sand cast two piece housing. Nicer looking - more original I find - is the latter (sand cast)

They say that the ST 710 is also slightly better in perfomance - I don't know that - I am happy with my ST 770s...

Although the ST 770 is not produced anymore, one can find one on E-bay every now and then - at least here in Germany. They trade for roughly € 1,600 to 1,800.-- (that's US$ 2,000 to 2,250) including collector ring. Shipping will be around $50 to 100,-- I'll keep my eyes open...
The Robart is a whole different number. More powerful, heavier, more complicated... Great looking engine, but - dear! A quarterscale Stearman should be well equipped with the Seidel. I know a guy at my club who flys just that setup and it's great! Use a 24x10 on them! Got a laminated one for you, if you get the engine (mahagony and maple, the same that you see spinning in my avatar)

Here are two pictures, one of the ST 770 (left) the other of the ST 710 (right):

Name:	Li21122.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	317537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24797.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	317538  
Old 08-30-2005, 09:00 PM
chasrb

Martin Thanks for all the info! I have Ziroli holding my ST710 and depending on what I hear from Req on his ST770 I will be a Seidel owner by middle to end of next week! Soooo when can I have my prop? That is a sweet looking prop certainly not the one I'll break in with, but for flying only!

I have just finished reviewing Toms wonderful and appreciated DVD on the construction and flights of his PT -17 and I am getting motivated to begin my build.

Did you use Sitz (sp) cloth or what for your covering and how did you create your rivets? What book do you recommend to have for all the details?

Thanks

Charles
Old 08-31-2005, 03:42 AM
Spuetz

Hi Charles,
I sent you a pm, regarding the prop...

As far as the model: Cover is solartex. The rivets on the fuse and front part of the cowling are white wood glue, applied with a syringe. The rivets on the aft cowling, that folds open, are - well - rivets!
Check out my website where I desribe the building process of the cowling:
[link=http://www.geocities.com/martinspuetz/StieglitzEnglish.html]Click here for Building report[/link]

Cheers, Martin
Old 09-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Spuetz

Hello Charles and everyone interested,

there currently is a Seidel ST 770 available at that famous auction service (the name of which cannot be mentioned here ). Will sell by Sept. 16th, 10:00 PDT). The seller indicates that the engine is new, has only run an hour or so on the test stand and has otherwise been sitting in a showcase (and has lived the sad, meaningless life that many so-called collectors tend to sentence their beautiful Seidels to...) Judging from the picture, it is one of the last ST 770 with the improved aluminium pushrods. Probably early 90ies.

The site is only available in Germany, but the seller will ship worldwide. If you send me your e-mail address with a private message, I will send you the site. I can send an html-email with the site clickable... You take it from there...

Let there be stars worldwide...

Cheers, Martin

the picture is taken directly from the mentioned site:

Name:	Tq48808.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	320845  
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
chasrb

Okay here are the photos; they are hi res.

I think I'll go with the Sonictronic 7, I called the guys aer PME and I'd have to buy 3 2-plug drivers and a single to use their system. However, their system is one where it senses the temp of the plug and heats only the plug that has cooled off. As far as I know there is no throttle control on that unit...

Name:	Db86345.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	325817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92429.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	325818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97335.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	325819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87810.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	325820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75686.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	325821  
Old 09-19-2005, 09:31 AM
chasrb

Martin, what fuel are you using in your ST770? I booklet calls for Syntheticoil only and only in teh ammount of 6% or so and vry little nitro 5-10 %.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]General notes about lubrication on these small radial engines.

Most large radials use what is called a "Diffuser" to keep the fuel and air mixed for delivery to the cylinders, avoiding the lower cylinders going lrich and the uppers lean from the gas condensing in the intake passages. If a person didn't know better he'd look at the diffuser fan and think it was a centrifugal supercharger. It is to a small extent, but its main purpose is for even mixture distribution.

While the Robart produced radial may have a diffuser, the only model radial I know having a diffuser fan is the Saito FA-325R5. All others feed the fuel/oil/air mix into the crankcase itself, using the crank and rods to keep the mixture even, working like an eggbeater.

With the fresh fuel/air/oil mix going into the case we are not dependent on ring leakage to get the oil into the bottom end of the engine, they just don't need as much oil in the mix.

I can't speak for Seidel, but Technopower wants a high oil percentage for break in, 10% is considered high enough. After break in dropping the oil percentage to 3% is fine. Right. Just 3% of the fuel.

Bill.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:22 AM
Spuetz

Hello Charles,

beautiful engine! Wow. So you have it now. Great!

As for the glow driver: Believe me, it does not need one! So if you are using one (like I do) it is pure luxury and calms the fears of loss of power (and model).

I am using microsens' GLOW 7 and it is more than you need. I program it so it only starts at quarter throttle, reaching full power at idle. I use it for engine start, warming up and take off. After take off I switch it off altogether. Then, maybe for landing back on again...

The GLOW 7 weighs just little over one ounce and can be connected directly to the plugs and one supplied resistor (to make the odd even: 4 plugs on plus pole, 3 plugs and the resistor on minus)

You can get it here: www.microsens.at
Cheers, Martin
Old 09-26-2005, 02:55 AM
Spuetz

Hello Charles and everyone,

I just talked to Mr. Klementschitz of microsens.at. He told me that he sells to the US via the following Swiss distributor:

[link=http://www.classicbirds.ch/]Classicbirds[/link]

Their E-mail address is:

[email protected]

If you send them an e-mail, stating that you would like a microsens GLOW 7A, I am sure that they will send you a quote.

Meanwhile I am getting my Proctor Nieuport 27, equipped with a Seidel ST 770, ready to fly. It has been hanging in my Garage now for almost two years, because I didn't have a way of transporting it to the field fully rigged. And since rigging takes you about an hour or so, I had put it off. Now my neighbor is lending me his Ford Econoline that he bought from the US Army here in Germany. Now that is a spacious car! The Nieuport fits in it fully rigged! So I am getting ready...
Here are a couple of pics...

Name:	Mk26408.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	329286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35884.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	329287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37207.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	329288  
Old 09-26-2005, 08:13 AM
chasrb

R005 GLOW7

Glow plug driver for 7-cylinder 4 stroke radial engines

EUR 83,57
(ATS 1.150,00)

So this comes out to about $100 USD. Not bad considering the Sonictronic (McDanials) 7 cyl unit is $187 USD.

Real nice plane Martin! How about some video of it flying?

What brand of fuel are you using in your ST770? The manual calls out for very strict adherence to synthetic oil and low nitro.

Thanks for the reference to the Microsens.

Cheers
Old 09-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Spuetz

Hello Charles,

I don't have the setup yet to put video on the computer. My notebook is at it's limits anyhow... so when I get a new one I'll look into the video thing...

I am using pure methanol with 5% Oil. Most Seidel-Buffs here say that that's enough oil and the grease on the model is less. But I hardly ever run the Seidel at full power... . If you want to be on the safe side, use 7 % oil! I am using Aerosafe ore Aerosynth 3... I mix it myself...

As for the glow setup here's what I do (have I mentioned that before?): I am running double power supply on the big models as a personal safety standard. Now I run the current for the GLOW7 directly from one of the batteries (5-cell NMh 2400). The battery controller soon notices that that battery has less capacity and uses the other for the receiver and servos. Only if one battery had a problem the controller would take the power from the remaining, even if it is the one that drives the GLOW7. Since I use the GLOW7 only for starting of the engine and maybe for take off, there's always prenty of battery power... And this way I have only two batteries that I have to charge... Works great on my Stieglitz and will work on my Nieuport....

By the way, as battery controller I am using a microsens product as well: the SOLID 2.
The SOLID 2 is very lightweight, has a beeper that sounds when a problem occurs and that doubles as model finder and has a very safe switch (the unique feature of that switch: "closed" is turned OFF! "open" is turned ON. So in case of a cable or switch defect, the power is ON!) Also, when you turn it off, it still stays on for a couple of seconds, while beeping. So in case you turn it off accidentaly you'll notice it right away and can turn back on, before the power to the receiver is actually cut! I can highly reccomend this setup.

Cheers, Martin

Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 AM
chasrb

Hallo Martin, wie geht es Ihnen? I have just done a quick review of methenol and it's a bugger! I would mix my own fuel, but there has got to be someone who makes a fuel to the specs thet we need for the Siedels.

I will look at the solid 2 again as you mentinoed. That could work nicely. Did you ever look at the McDanials 7 cyl. unit?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Spuetz

Hello Chasman,

danke, mir geht es sehr gut

No, I have not seen MacDaniels products. Is it a glow driver as well?

I have been using microsens' products for a while now. They're good quality, not too expensive, lightweight and I have established a good communication with Mr. Klementschitz. He helps me with all electronic questions and always delivers fast. Good to get the products directly from the producer. He knows, what he builds an can explain everything very thorougly... Last year I wrote an article for the biggest German model airplane magazine. Part of it was a test review for the GLOW7a. Mr. Klementschitz gave me two units for free in return...

I have a club mate who sells fuels. He mixes whatever I want for me... But mixing it yourself really isn't that difficult. If you can get the base products, all you need is a measuring jug like you probably will find in your kitchen... Getting the products is sometimes difficult though, cause many distributers don't send them cause of laws, that prohibit to send toxic liquids (at least here in Germany). I just call my mate and he brings the stuff to the airfield. That's easy...

I would highly reccomend to use the best synthetic oil that you can get! Don't use castor under any circumstances. The only advantage that castor has is that it cools better. But cooling is not an issue with the Seidels. Castor does leave residue and can burn valves!

Also one more thing: After a day of flying I always defuel completely and then let the motor run until it stops for lack of fuel. Then I give it another 10 or so throws until none of the cylinders fire anymore. This way I make sure that no methanol rests in the cylinders. this is the best corrosion prevention. If you put the engine away for a while, do spray some oil into the carburettor while turning the prop rapidly. This for conservation and additional corrosion prevention.

Comes to mind: Starting the engine I do the same with fuel: I built a brass tube with a syringe needle at the end (sealed with heat shrink tube) that sticks into the carburettor. Before starting the engine I spray fuel with a syringe into that tube while turning the prop rapidly. The Seidel needs a lot of fuel in its cylinders to start! If you do that and then turn the glow heater on, the engine will fire at first throw every time! If it doesn't chances are that you didn't have enough fuel in the cylinders. I have never had a case of flooding! So be gernerous with the priming...
Here's a picture of the brass tube/syringe setup (this one still of the old cowling. Now its on the right side under the cowling, but same system)
Cheers, Martin

Name:	Sp45526.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	329560  
Old 09-26-2005, 02:33 PM
chasrb

Martin, I see you also changed out the wire harness for the glows as well or did your ST770 not come with a pre assembled glow harness?

The primer unit you put together looks good I'll keep that in mind! Did you ever try starting the engine with the throttle closed and then flipping through a few cycles to prime the engine that way?

Here is the detail on the McD unit.

The Driver is controlled by your TX at any time you desire, using an available channel, or it can be paralleled with your throttle servo using a "Y" cord for automatic operation at low throttle settings (fully adjustable set point). This unit is set up for a Seven Cylinder Engine. Custom Modification: We can customize your glow plug leads on your Mcd473 - Mcd479 at no-charge. You can specify wire length up to 72" and we can install your Molex pins for you. Just fill in specs on the order form under "Customer Notes". Custom units must be ordered direct from us will take extra time for assembly.
Details

Weight 0.54 lbs
Price: $ 183.45 USD

Name:	Om33072.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	329564  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.