Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Exhaust Deflectors for 4-stroke Advise

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Exhaust Deflectors for 4-stroke Advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 AM
ooooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Deflectors for 4-stroke Advise

I have a Saito FA 56 with a deflector on the muffler....it stays on but the heat kinda gets to it and it bursts after about 12 flights or so.
I also have a Saito FA 100 with exhaust deflector attached......doesn't stay on at all. Falls off in flight. I've lost about 4 this way. The costs adds up.
tied it on with tie wraps after cutting a groove in the muffler lip for grip. Fell off in flight
used heat sealant silicone with tie wraps again. Fell off in flight
used tie wraps + wire tied onto the muffler nut. Fell off in flight.

The Saito FA 100 vibrates a lot though....it's mounted on an anti-vibration mount.

Does anyone know of another method to hold the Exhaust Deflecto onto the muffler? Helps keep the oil off the plane.
Thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Deflectors for 4-stroke Advise

ORIGINAL: Kaz

I have a Saito FA 56 with a deflector on the muffler....it stays on but the heat kinda gets to it and it bursts after about 12 flights or so.
I also have a Saito FA 100 with exhaust deflector attached......doesn't stay on at all. Falls off in flight. I've lost about 4 this way. The costs adds up.
tied it on with tie wraps after cutting a groove in the muffler lip for grip. Fell off in flight
used heat sealant silicone with tie wraps again. Fell off in flight
used tie wraps + wire tied onto the muffler nut. Fell off in flight.

The Saito FA 100 vibrates a lot though....it's mounted on an anti-vibration mount.

Does anyone know of another method to hold the Exhaust Deflecto onto the muffler? Helps keep the oil off the plane.
Thanks.
I have had good luck using a Hose Clamp the type you would use on a garden hose. You can get smaller ones at Lows or an auto parts place. I lightly scuff the muffler with sandpaper for some bite. This was the only way to keep a deflector on my Ultrathrust muffler. It also worked for my Saito 120.

Pete
Old 05-11-2005, 09:12 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

I use soft aluminum tube from hardware stores, they have different ID dimentions, you may need to slit the end so the clamp will hold better. They never come off and you can use a cheap spring bender to customize the look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62511.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	270192  
Old 05-11-2005, 11:07 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it will not stay on I just drill the exhaust stinger so that I can attact a screw to it. The when you add the deflector you use a cable tie in front and behind the screw, holds on very well. Another good alternative is to use the hose clips that you see on your car airconditioning pipes ... they kinda look like the fuel line clips we use on our planes. You squeeze it to release the clip.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:40 AM
ooooo

Thanks guys for the tips and info. Excellent advise.

Cheers.

Kaz.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:40 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been able to keep the silicone extensions on either. I was chatting with one of the fellows at the field, and he suggested the same thing as mentorman, except he used brass. I would think that if you wanted to make some angled bends, that copper might even work better as it is softer. Either way, sounds like metal tube, slit to allow compression, with a hose clamp is the way to go. Good luck.

Pilgrim