Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Trouble w/OS 60FP

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Don Brent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble w/OS 60FP

Fellow Fliers,
I am fairly new to the hobby and am currently "running in" an O.S. 60FP on the bench. My problem is that, with the engine running at a rich 2-cycle (plenty of smoke and oil) setting, it quits after about 1 min or so of running at full throttle. I was told by someone at my local field that the 12x6 prop I was using might be too large of a load for it, so I switched to an 11x6 but the problem persists.

The engine starts fine and appears to run well until it heats up (about a minute or so)...then it begins to hesitate a bit, then a bit more, and finally stops. It will start again but I can't get it to keep running happily along.

Any thoughts?

Don
Old 05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Trouble w/OS 60FP

Try two things.

First, an engine usually will eat the first glow plug pretty quickly. Try it leaving the glow heat on, or reattach it when the engine starts to sag. If it picks up immediately with reattachment or keeps going leaving it on, replace the plug.

Secondly, you could be using more nitro than the engine likes, and it's just overheating. Stay at 15%, preferably less, for break in.

Additional note: How did you find a new "FP" engine? Been out of production for a long time.

Bill.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Don Brent

Thanks Bill,
I'll try leaving the glow heat on. I'm only running 10% Nitro (18% Castor), so I would hope it could handle that. As far as having a new 60FP, I bought it new in 1997 and since then it's been on my shelf while I was too busy working to have a hobby. I'm glad to be back at the workbench again.
Don
Old 05-25-2005, 01:00 PM
William Robison

Don:

1997? You may have one of the last that was true ABC. If so, take care of it, it will last a long time.

Bill.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Don Brent

Yup! The glow plug seems to be the problem. When I leave the glow heater attached, it keeps running smooth and when it starts to sputter, attaching the glow heater stops the sputtering. Any glow plug recommendations for this engine other than a #8? What about an idle bar?
Thanks for the help!
Don
Old 05-25-2005, 06:13 PM
William Robison

Don:

Shouldn't need an idle bar, if the #8 plug runs well in it why change? I'm partial to the K&B 1L plug, but they can be hard to find.

Bill.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The "Tower Power" plug from tower seems to work as well as the OS #8 for me? They look the same. The OS plug has the brand and number stamped on it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-26-2005, 01:35 PM
iAlex

Your problem might be related to your fuel. While running some old fuel I picked up from a friend I couldn't get my .60 FP to run without the glow driver. I changed over to some new fuel and the engine ran fine with no problems.

Another thought would be to lean it out a little bit before removing the glow driver. With my engine the little extra speed and heat helps to keep it running.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Don Brent

Thanks everyone for your help with this. After installing a smaller (11x6) prop, a new glow plug and setting the mixture at about 1.5 turns open from fully closed, the motor seems to run well at full throttle and also idles well.

One last question is about that mixture setting (1.5 turns). It seems on the lean side to me. Just looking for a sanity check as I don't want to burn the thing up!

Fuel is 18% Castor / 10% Nitro (it's new by the way)
Glowplug is an "A-3" (was using an O.S. #8 - not sure what the difference is - they looked similar)
Prop is Zinger 11X6.

So far I've run about a 1/2 gallon of the above mentioned fuel though it (mostly at a much richer setting - 2.5 turns +/- .5 turns)

Also, is it typical to re-adjust the mixture if I increase the prop-size after break-in (or is that not recommended?).

Thanks again for the help,
Don
Old 06-05-2005, 01:58 PM
William Robison

Don:

That 1 1/2 turns out is not carved in stone.

With the engine running at full speed turn the needle in slowly. If it doesn'
t pick up at least 200 rpm you're too lean.

Another test is holding the plane with the nose straight up at full throttle. If the rpm falls it's too lean. It's OK if it picks up a little.

The needle should be checked and adjusted as indicated if anything changes - even the air temperature., much less a prop, glow plug, or a different bottle of fuel.

Bill.