Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Como Engines ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 06:36 AM
Mr Shadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Como Engines ?

anyone who has experiences about como engines (especially .51)

please tell me whether that's a good eng. and a good reason to

buy it

is it good for extar 300L (vmar 60"WS)

thanks
Old 10-07-2002, 09:54 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Como Engines ?

In the USA, The COMO was nothing but a Super Tiger with a different name on it. They dissappeared in the mid Ninties because Hobbico objected to their major competitor selling the same engine under a different name.

There are a few COMO's around here and they all run just fine. Everyone knows what they really are and just enjoy them. I have a COMO 40 and So does a friend. We acquired them in trades.

I also have a Super Tiger .51 and it is a nice engine. It's very likeable but if you want all out power, the Irvine 53 has the edge.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 10-07-2002, 11:10 AM
Mr Shadow

Default Como Engines ?

THANX...
Old 10-07-2002, 05:33 PM
sgilkey
My Feedback: (180)

Default como 51

i have several Como 51 ABC engines. These are very different from todays STG51. The Como 51 ABC is in the same size case as the old S40, which is lighter and more compact than the GS40/45/G51 engine. The Como .51 is a beast of an engine and makes great power- the STG51 has a reputation for being a torquer, the Como51 is very rev-happy. Other than the specific liner, piston, crank, and head (and of course the case with the big S on it), the como 51 parts are generally interchangeable with ST parts such as carbs, mufflers, bearings, rods, etc. some comos used o-ring sealed back plates, while most older STs used gasket-sealed backplates. I have also seen two versions of Como 51 ABC, one has a specific mounting bolt pattern, the other has the identical pattern to the S40/45, so it is a drop-in replacement for those engine. You can get a substantial increase in top-end power by flattening the spraybar on the 51 carb (it is soft brass and files easily), similar to what was done by the factory on the 61/75/90 carbs. generally, this will tend to richen up the midrange.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:56 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Como Engines ?

Scott,

I would like to add some trivia here.

First of all, the G51 case is made completely different from the GS40/45 case for some reason. Most everything is the same size and in the same place but they look rather different.

I did notice that my G51 is not as rev happy as the GS engines.

I've never seen a COMO 45 or 51 but have seen several COMO 40's including the one I own.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 10-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Como Engines ?

There was also the Super Tigre "Bull Ring" model and the cases on them were a lot more similar to the COMO case design.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Como Engines ?

I have two Como .51 ABC's, they are great running engines. One of mine has to have at least twenty gallons of fuel through it over the years, it still has good compression. The other is used with a tuned pipe, it really sings in my Patriot. The ST.51 is a ringed engine, and will not rev like a Como.51 . I also have a Como.75, also a good running engine. Keep them on the rich side and they will give you years of faithful service.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:04 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Como Engines ?

I also had a Como .51 and it ran great. Wasn't a big powerhouse but it was enough for the plane it was in.
They are very durable , just like SuperTigres. I ended up selling it to some kid who needed an engine for his stick..