Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito .82 w/ tank on CG - Do I need a regulator?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito .82 w/ tank on CG - Do I need a regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Saito .82 w/ tank on CG - Do I need a regulator?

You have to remember that a tank pressurized by muffler pressure is only pressurized to the average muffler pressure, when using a check valve it traps the peaks of the pressure waves, therefore the pressure is much higher. Bill may have mentioned it above but a Saito will put a serious bulge in one of the stiff walled Sullivans. Graupner makes a tank that is really stiff and stands up to pressure very well.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:59 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hobbsy:

Post #20:
...Normally muffler pressure is used. With the check valve it gets more than high enough to make the tank look like a semi-rigid balloon.
Bill.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:20 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's correct for 4-strokes, only muffler pressure is needed (not crank case pressure). 2-strokes need crank case pressure.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:28 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Joe:

I can't speak for your experience, but I've seen several Cline installations on two stroke engines just using muffler pressure. And the tanks become the same "Semi-rigid balloons."

Bill.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:39 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I guess it depends on the 2-stroke. Some need crank case pressure and some don't. Jim Cline told me that the Moki's need crank case pressure. I could have just tried muffler pressure but I took his advice and just put in a crank case pressure tap.

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Joe:

I can't speak for your experience, but I've seen several Cline installations on two stroke engines just using muffler pressure. And the tanks become the same "Semi-rigid balloons."

Bill.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHPowelson,

I faced the same question when I built a Matrix using an OS 70 Surpass. The answer is to buy a ten ounce Sullivan flex tank. This will JUST fit into the space between the firewall and front of the wing saddle. You will need to be careful to route the lines so they don't get kinked, but it is doable.

In this location, the tank is low enough not to siphon and flood your carb out, and close enough to the engine so that fuel draw is fine. Dunno how thirsty the Saito 82 is, but ten ounces got me sufficient flight time with the 70 Surpass.

This airplane has other issues, which you've by no doubt already discovered. Good luck with that elevator control system; I dicked around for two days trying to get it smooth. I finally ripped all of that out and put two elevator servos back there.

Be sure to reinforce where the control horns attach to the control surfaces. Don't ask me how I know it will flutter otherwise...[]

If you plan to keep the model for some time, I would send that dead-soft janding gear to TNT and let them duplicate it in decent material. The kit item is made of pot metal.

Other than all of that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play???
Old 06-13-2005, 10:20 AM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called and ordered the Cline this morning. [8D]

Steve,

I’m replacing my worn out Razor 3D with the Matrix so I’m pretty familiar with the setup quirks. I setup the pull/pull system with the wire instead of the pushrods. After some careful tinkering, I’ve got it working very nicely, but it does require a high-torque servo. I was happy to see some nice improvements in the Matrix when compared to the Razor. The Matrix is a few inches bigger in all directions, has more wing area, larger control surfaces and the build quality and covering is much nicer. I considered mounting the tank behind the firewall (how my Razor was setup) but I wanted to reap the benefits of the CG-mounted tank.

I bought the Razor used and in poor shape (of course it was advertised as excellent condition.. [:@]). It had some bad habits due to the numerous repairs made to it and it was a bit heavy. My biggest complaint is that it was VERY ‘snappy’. Overall, I loved the way it flew, though.

With the exception of the missing hardware (tail wheel and wing bolts) I’m pleased with the Matrix. Tower has it for $109 so I couldn’t resist!