Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito .82 w/ tank on CG - Do I need a regulator?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito .82 w/ tank on CG - Do I need a regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito .82 w/ tank on CG - Do I need a regulator?

I’ll be building my Matrix 3D this weekend. The fuel tank is located on the CG. I will be running an inverted Saito .82. Will I need a regulator (Cline or otherwise)? Is anybody NOT running one with acceptable results? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Abram
Old 06-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Mettler1

Default RE: Saito .82 w/ tank on CG - Do I need a regulator?

I'm not sure if you will need a regulator but you will need a pump if you mount the tank at the CG. The carb will not pull fuel from that far away.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:49 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Abram:

Either a pressure system with a regulator, or a pump.

I personally prefer the pump, a failure of the pressure sytstem can fill the plane with fuel.

Bill.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A highly unlikely event after several years of using Clines and not having much luck with pumps.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:05 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Cline regulators best. They work. Plain and simple.

Pumps are cool too, but if it isn't built into the engine, like the YS, Enya, Webra, OS pumps, I stay away from them these days. Probably shouldn't. Just habit, I guess.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-10-2005, 03:20 PM
AHPowelson

Wow! The Cline Regulator is $60![X(] Does anybody have one they want to sell? (PM if you do!) Ouch. I was figuring $15-$20 max.. I may have to break down and buy one.. If I decided to go with the pump, what would be my best option? Thanks for the input, fellas.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:31 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Also try Ironbay, they are around $43.

ORIGINAL: AHPowelson

Wow! The Cline Regulator is $60![X(] Does anybody have one they want to sell? (PM if you do!) Ouch. I was figuring $15-$20 max.. I may have to break down and buy one.. If I decided to go with the pump, what would be my best option? Thanks for the input, fellas.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:33 PM
William Robison

Abram:

I've had good results with the Perry VP-30, I have never used the VP-20 "Shaker" pump.

Joe:

I think you'll find the Iroin Bay and Cline are both priced near $60, but the Iron Bay is a metal body while the Cline is plastic.

Bill.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:14 PM
AHPowelson

What is the farthest practical distance the engine will draw fuel from? It looks like my fuel line from the tank to the carb will be 10-11". The tank to the muffler will be 11-12". I'm guessing this will be too much for reliable operation?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:31 PM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

way too much....

go for the Cline... works GRRRREAT !!!!

[:-]
Old 06-10-2005, 07:31 PM
William Robison

Abram:

That set up should work very well with no pump or regulator. So long as all you do is level flight.

I don't think that's what you want to do though. Remember also that the distance from the engine to the tank is not the total distance - you have to measure to the back of the tank to get the total draw length.

Either put the tank up at the firewall or quit squirming on the hook. You're going to need one or the other to get decent engine run with the tank that far away.

Bill.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:45 PM
AHPowelson

You're right, Bill. It's time to suck it up and pick up a Cline. Does anybody sell it besides[link=http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/products/CFS/fuelsysdesc.htm]here[/link]? I'd like to be able to order one now but I don't see any place to do so on their site. If not, I'll have to give them a call Monday. [:-]

Old 06-10-2005, 08:21 PM
William Robison

Abram:

So far as I know, that's it.

Bill.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Ernie Misner

A regulator can't possibly make any more pressure than what is available muffler pressure, only regulate or keep it more constant, right? So if unregulated muffler pressure varies, say between .1 lb. and .5 lb or whatever, would a regulator try to keep it at a more constant .3 or so? What happens if the throttle is chopped to idle long enough that all that is left is the .1 lb from idling and then the plane is suddenly pulled into a nose up attitude, with tank far back on the CG?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 06-11-2005, 01:42 AM
William Robison

Ernie:

A check valve is puit in the line from the muffler. The tank pressure rises when running at high throttle, muffler pressures in excess of 20" water column have been noted. This pressure is held in the tank, dropping only as the fuel is used.

While the tank pressure does vary, and is falling while the engine is running at low throttle, the fuel burned at low throttle also is low volume so the tank pressure falls a lot less than you might think. And the regulator itself keeps the feed to the engine at the right level. Then when you open the throttle the tank pressure comes right back.

Bill.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Ernie Misner

Ahhh, the check valve, of course. In this way the regulator setup can actually "make more pressure". Of course we can use the check valve without a regulator but that seems to work poorly.

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 06-11-2005, 06:35 AM
FenceMagnet

the key to the regulator is that the fuel is not really supplied to the engine under "pressure" .... it is a demand flow regulator - the engine draws fuel from the regulator (only an inch-or-so away) and the regulator, sensing this demand or vacuum, opens and allows fuel to pass until the vacuum is no longer present.... the function of the tank pressure is merely to keep the regulator supplied with (potentially) more fuel than the engine needs.....
Old 06-11-2005, 03:59 PM
JoeAirPort

That is a very good explanation, please don't mind if I add a little of my own understanding. The inlet to the regulator is pressurized to around 5-10 psi via the engine case pressure, check valve and tank. The outlet pressure is kept at atmospheric pressure via the regulator's diaphragm and needle valve. If the engine sucks fuel and makes negative pressure at the regulator outlet , fuel is instantly supplied to the inlet of the regulator at 5-10 psi. It's a beautiful system and is the best solution for tanks on the CG.

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet

the key to the regulator is that the fuel is not really supplied to the engine under "pressure" .... it is a demand flow regulator - the engine draws fuel from the regulator (only an inch-or-so away) and the regulator, sensing this demand or vacuum, opens and allows fuel to pass until the vacuum is no longer present.... the function of the tank pressure is merely to keep the regulator supplied with (potentially) more fuel than the engine needs.....
Old 06-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Ernie Misner

Can muffler pressure be used with a regulator, or does it have to be crankcase pressure?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 06-11-2005, 05:34 PM
William Robison

Ernie:

Normally muffler pressure is used. With the check valve it gets more than high enough to make the tank look like a semi-rigid balloon. Crank case pressure gets way too high for most installations.

Bill.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Ernie Misner

Once a guy plunks down his cash for a regulator, is there any problem servicing or keeping them going forever? Also, is there a "best price/place" for the cline?

Many thanks for comments!

Ernie
Old 06-11-2005, 06:05 PM
William Robison

Ernie:

I don't know of any source other than direct for either the Cline or the Iron Bay. Both about the same price, but as I said earlier, the Iron Bay has an aluminum body, the hose fittings are brass.

I have heard some few complaints about the plastic nipples breaking on the Cline, but nothing else, and never the first complaint on the Iron Bay unit.

Both use the Walbro regulator diaphragm, so the only part that fails is no problem to get. Your local lawn equipment shop always has them. Usually last about a year with glow fuel. Iron Bay does say they will keep giving you new diaphragms as long as you have their regulator, just send the old one and one buck US money.

Bill.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 PM
JoeAirPort

Jim Cline told me that the diaphragm will dry out if there is no fuel in the regulator and that's how they normally fail. He says to just leave fuel in the regulator over the winter and plug the inlet and outlet so the fuel stays fresh. He said they last up to 5 years without replacing the diaphragm. I'd keep the castor content to minimum though. It can gum up the innerds of the regulator.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:37 AM
FenceMagnet

"I'd keep the castor content to minimum though. It can gum up the innerds of the regulator."

nonsense.... if it's sealed with a loop of tubing, it won't dry up, a flush with some fresh fuel will quickly free it up.... no heat to form any permanent deposits.....

let's stop the castor bashing!

Old 06-12-2005, 08:18 AM
JoeAirPort

I knew after I left that post I was going to start something. I kind of grinned and said, oh well.

On a more serious note, most people will not leave fuel in the regulator and will not seal it up so I still have a valid point. The castor will gum up over the winter. Jim Cline himself asked if I had castor in my fuel. I told him that I only have 1/3 castor in my oil mix and that it should not be a problem (I use Morgan 30/70 castor/synthetic).

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet

"I'd keep the castor content to minimum though. It can gum up the innerds of the regulator."

nonsense.... if it's sealed with a loop of tubing, it won't dry up, a flush with some fresh fuel will quickly free it up.... no heat to form any permanent deposits.....

let's stop the castor bashing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.