Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Slimline fuel bottle cap

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 10:53 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slimline fuel bottle cap

Just tried to install a Slimline fuel bottle cap to a SIG and Coolpower bottle and boy was I ever disappointed. The thread on the cap does not match the thread of both bottles and it leaks !! (see pic) And the manufacturer claimed that it fits "all gallon fuel bottles". I'm returning it for a full refund. Does anyone know where I can get a good leakproof and airtight cap with fuel line fittings in it ? Thanks..............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29768_10258.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	19052  
Old 10-10-2002, 02:49 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one of these. Mine says "Heliproz" on top, two guesses where I got it from.

Thy do thread on, but I have noticed that sometimes it threads on slightly "crossed" and won't seal correctly. I can see in your pic above that yours is crossed.

There isn't really a solution here. I just back mine off while holding the cap as flat as possible. When I feel the *snap* of the threads passing each other I screw it down and it threads on correctly. Works about 75% of the time.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:32 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I have three of these, if that tells you anything. I love being able to swap different fuel in and out of my totebox.

Yes, it can be frustrating at time trying to thread this cap onto gallon jugs, but the problem is not the cap - it's the plastic bottles. The cap is CNC machined to great precision compared to the cheap plastic bottles, which can vary in quality from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even batch to batch.

I have crossed threads on a few jugs, but I haven't yet found a jug that I couldn't manage to thread onto properly if I take my time with it.

Don't know if this is worth anything, but don't give up on it. I've tried many different ways of capping a fuel bottle with fuel fittings, and this is by far the best way. Seals great (once you get it to seat right) and the rubber o-ring is replaceable, which means this cap will last practically forever.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:51 PM
rajul

[i]
I have crossed threads on a few jugs, but I haven't yet found a jug that I couldn't manage to thread onto properly if I take my time with it.[/B]
Sullivan has a plastic fuel bottle cap that's much cheaper (pic below). Wonder whether it works well and durable ? Anyone has experience with this cap ? Thanks...............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29794_10258.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	19053  
Old 10-10-2002, 04:53 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Jug caps

I tried the Sullivan cap and found that it leaked a lot unless I could get the cap to fit very tight against the top of the jug. As with the problems cited above, this proved (at least in my case) to be a losing proposition so I just junked them.

I now have two of the Slimline caps and they work just fine. I had to play with the caps as visioneer_one did but once sealed all was well. After a while I found two fuel jugs that the caps fit really well without a lot of hassle so those are now my permanent jugs.

The o-ring inside the cap obviously makes up for a "less than perfect" fit whereas the Sullivan cap simply relies on tightness of the fit from cap to jug to seal the top.

My advice is to keep the caps and look for better fitting jugs. Maybe scrounge the empties at the field. Sooner or later you will be successful and you will be pleased with these fuel caps.

My experience - "your mileage may vary"...

Dan

edit starts here:

I forgot. DuBro (I believe) also makes a top that has a self-contained fill and vent in a red fitting. You have to drill a hole in your jug cap and install the DuBro (it also has an o-ring). I have used it and it works fine but, as with the Sullivan, the fuel fittings exit the top of the cap. My jugs are in a close enclosure so the side fuel fittings on the Slimline cap are my preference. That and the fact that the Slimline caps just look good (not that anyone can see them - but I know they are there).

end of Dan's edit
Old 10-10-2002, 06:12 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like a cap with side fittings too. The slimline looks pretty good. The fit problem is not the jug. Bottle threads are produced to very loose tolerances and so are the caps. But, they almost alway fit together. I think Slimline needs to change how they cut the threads. They probably make a female version of a bottle thread or, worse yet, screw threads. Either way is wrong. A proper cap thread is a positive bottle thread except on the inside instead of the outside. It allows for a lot of clearance and ease of assembly.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:40 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

The Slimline caps work fine. Like I mentioned earlier I've had to futz with a few bottles that weren't threaded perfectly but I've never had a bottle that couldn't be sealed.

Not a big deal with the cap but its a PITA with the M1 cap & pump combo. The pump throws the balance off so I always have to try a couple of times to get it locked down and sealed.

Don't get me started on the quality of the handcrank pump they supply with its soft plastic handle. The pocket that mates up with the (input?) gear on mine stripped almost immediately. It worked fine once I cross-drilled it and installed a servo screw. Paid $45 damned dollars and I stil have to MacGyver it in order for it to work right. Grrrr!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:22 PM
rajul

One way to be really sure that the bottle is sealed and airtight is to pump into the bottle (preferably almost full to minimise airspace) with a 50cc syringe or larger while the outlet line is clamped with a hemostat. Then clamp the inlet line. Wait 5 minutes and release one hemostat and hear for any hissing sound. So far all the bottles I've tried this cap on failed. I am not sure if the o-ring is positioned to sit exactly on the rim of the bottle mouth. Better to waste the cap than my fuel and plane..............
Old 02-04-2003, 05:14 AM
johnhardy1

Default PSP Fuel CAP

Anyone tried this one ? http://www.pspmfg.com/fuelcaps.htm

It doesnt look as good as the Slimline but does it seal and work as well ? Anyone have any experience with this product ?

I gotta get one , but which ?

- John
Old 02-04-2003, 06:25 AM
rajul

Hi John, I've tried the sullivan and slimline caps. Both don't seal well on my omega and sig fuel bottles. Tower gave me a full refund. I have been using the gp fuel bottle fitting with no probs. I apply some red rtv on the brass fitting/cap interface for additional sealing. Do the leak test to be sure.......
Old 02-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Caps

The PSPs work perfectly, I have three, the Sullivans don't work at all. The PSPs I have are great looking and of high quality. And PSPs engine test stand is a jewell.