Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM
dragonbuilder
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

Hi all,Does anyone know of a gas conversion for the Seidels?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[Hi 77chickenhawk

... They also seem to have some very interesting features, but asKweasel says, we are lacking technical information, like parts diagrams, photos of internal parts, reviews, etc. I wonder why the Seidel-UMS-Evo only needs 6% oil in the fuel when every(?) other glow engine needs 18+%? Has anyone taken their Seidel apart yet?

With Horizon now behind them, I am sure they will sell lots. Including at least oneto me...

Regards, radial1951

[/quote]

Radial1951

Thanks for your comments and your interest. We are currently working on the appropriate artwork and parts listings to add them to our web pages, with new instruction manuals. As for the oil question the reason is the conrods have ballbearings in them intead of bushings, which is the reason most glow engines require a much larger amount of oil in the fuel.

Pete
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
radial1951

[quote]ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

Thanks for your comments and your interest. We are currently working on the appropriate artwork and parts listings to add them to our web pages, with new instruction manuals. As for the oil question the reason is the conrods have ballbearings in them intead of bushings, which is the reason most glow engines require a much larger amount of oil in the fuel.

Pete

[/quote

Thanks Pete, I was hoping you would comment on the oil ratio. How about some "teaser" close-ups of an Evo Radial with the back off and one in pieces showing the cam drive etc??

That would keep some of us excitied...

Regards, radial1951
Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Pete Bergstrom

I'll see what I can come up with (photo wise) over the next couple of days to post.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
stevesak
My Feedback: (27)

The ball bearings is an interesting answer on the oil ratio. I had another idea, but am by no means a mechanical expert.

Would another contributing factor involve how the intake tubes draw fuel mixture from the carb and through the crankcase? I always thought it a benefit that all of those conrods spinning around in the case would create a natural impellor effect and keep the mixture nice and even. I also thought that it might do a great job of lubrication as well even on 6% given that internals are directly lubricated by the mixture instead of relying on piston blow-by, etc.

Am I on to something, or just confusing an otherwise easily explained answer? My appologies if it's the latter.....
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about adding those ball bearings to the oily intake mixture being swirled and agitated by those conrods, and never worrying about a lower end failure?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know that 62% giant Stearman brought back memories of people wanting me to do their maiden flights on their planes in the past. I sorta got where I hated to do it, as if something went wrong with the plane in the air, and it crashed, I would feel bad about it.
I can't beleive someone really built a plane that big. One could fly in it.
It did fly really nice though.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: stevesak

The ball bearings is an interesting answer on the oil ratio. I had another idea, but am by no means a mechanical expert.

Would another contributing factor involve how the intake tubes draw fuel mixture from the carb and through the crankcase? I always thought it a benefit that all of those conrods spinning around in the case would create a natural impellor effect and keep the mixture nice and even. I also thought that it might do a great job of lubrication as well even on 6% given that internals are directly lubricated by the mixture instead of relying on piston blow-by, etc.

Am I on to something, or just confusing an otherwise easily explained answer? My appologies if it's the latter.....
Stevesak,

No apologies necessary.

You are right, the conrods rotating and all that oily mixture does do wonders for the bearings in the engines, but the low oil content would not do well for bushings. A case in point would be any standard two stroke glow engine. The fuel generally goes right through the crank, into the crankcase and gets agitated around by the conrod yet we still need anywhere from 14-18% oil to have any life from the bushing at the lower end of the conrod.

Pete
Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Stevesak, To help Pete answer your question, A little BMW motorcycle history. The older models used a pressed up crankshaft so that roller bearings could be used on the big end of the one piece connecting rods. These bearings required small amounts of oil and therefore the oil pump to the crankshaft was a weak low flow design. Too much oil caused these bearings to run hot! The later engine design had a one piece crankshaft and the two piece connecting rods used shell bearings which are basically bushings. The oil pump had to supply much greater amounts of oil at higher pressure to lubricate and actually COOL these bearings. Same concept with the radials. -Tom
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
stevesak
My Feedback: (27)

Thanks to both of you for clarification. Ill be sur to make a mental note for future reference.

On another note, does anyone know if it possible to edit a much older post? It has been brought to my attention today that I misspoke on a post from 4 years ago concerning the availability of plans for the Forest Edwards radial construction project. It was back in post #1100, and I stated the following....

"The big 5.7ci engine is the Forest Edwards radial. This is an example of what happens when someone builds one of thier own. He built one.... flew it and made a dozen or so more. Then he made a bigger one on ingition (like the one shown) and made a nother dozen or so more (30 in total). Others have made them too as the plans are in the public domain and are free to be had (glow version only). "

What I should have stated is "Other have made them too as the plans are available by joining the R_and_R_engines group to obtain a free copy of the plans for personal use (glow version only"

It seems that they are not specifically available on the public domain. Perhaps a moderator can help?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Reginald

This a a Powermax from which the later Technopowers are derived
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29832.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1641458  
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM
super puma
My Feedback: (6)

The Stearman had both 7 cylinder Continental, and 9 cylinder Lycoming engines.
I know this engine fits nicely in the Super Sterman also, as I posted pictures of it inside the cowl about a year ago here.
The new GP Wacho will also be a great combination with this engine I'm pretty sure it fits, but Tower are sold out.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:03 AM
silver_cloud_3
My Feedback: (56)

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU GUYS ABOUT MODEL RADIALS; BUT EVOLUTION IS UNVEILING ITS 260cc 7 CYLINDER RADIAL, LOOKS BEAUTIFUL. NEED TO HEAR IT RUN. TROUBLE WITH THESE GUYS IS THAT THEY ALLOW THE ENGINES TO REV WAY UP WITH SMALL PITCHED PROPS. I HAD THE OS SIRIUS RADIAL, HATED THE SOUND AND THE GOO. THE FOUR STROKE GAS RADIALS SOUND BETTER, IF PROPPED RIGHT, BUT TAKE A LOOK AT THE EVO 7 CYL
Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 PM
77chickenhawk

they are the UMS engines,, not complaining,im glad more people are going to stock them.. hopefully it will keep the cost competitive. Its all Siedel technology,so I want 2 of each..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 AM
tiffitech

Hi,
my friend Volker bought an unusual radial engine lately:

..it looks like an unfinished self made project to me.
Does anyone here know more about this fragment,
eg if this is build following some plans that are known
or so?

Kind Regards,

Holm

~
Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Reginald

ORIGINAL: earlwb

You know that 62% giant Stearman brought back memories of people wanting me to do their maiden flights on their planes in the past. I sorta got where I hated to do it, as if something went wrong with the plane in the air, and it crashed, I would feel bad about it.
I can't beleive someone really built a plane that big. One could fly in it.
It did fly really nice though.

I do know builder and pilot Ludo of the Stearman quite well, we were camping together at this years air show at La Ferté-Allais ( near Paris ) France, that is the most
famous airfield in Europe and they do have a huge flying museum like the Rhinebeck in the US but much larger. It was the main WW1 airplane base of the Germans.
Who said there is'nt any flying in Belgium anymore ? Personally it is a little too big to my taste but it remains impressive.

Name:	Ec87605.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1649773  
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Reginald

Here's another Belgian large airplane by another friend of mine Wim van Schoor also at the La Ferté airshow.
Guess you all know what plane it is.

Name:	Fd90838.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1649774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84764.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1649775  
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Reginald

A beauty is'nt she ? And yes, radial powered. La Ferté 2011 again.

Name:	Ki18395.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1649776  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 AM
JariV

I'm probably the "smallest" radial guy here with Saito FA90R3 in a Pitts Special S-2C with WS just shy of 1,2 meters (50-size). The plane is a modified Kyosho ARF originally but I fitted my own cowl and this small Saito radial engine.

Maybe first start ever today. The cowl is oversized but I wanted to be sure that the engine would get enough cooling so I can get all the power out of it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Kmot

Your Pitt's looks nice! Well done!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
kivisto

Rock On Jari! post a vid if u can
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM
JariV

Thank you for the comments.

I shot a small video yesterday of it just idling and some rpms from engine break-in. The engine started immediately which was a very nice surprise. I thought it would have been much harder to get it started for the first time.

Total weight is 3,8kg without fuel.

Video from yesterday's break-in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn-fzX6gxcg
Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM
kivisto

Very nice plane Jari. Did you use glow driver, how did you set up exhaust?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 PM
JariV

I'm using a SonicTronics McDaniel OnBoardGlow system to light up the glowplugs. Very good piece and worth every cent. As exhaust I am using a Keleo exhaust ring.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Kmot

Sounds great! Nice Dodge Ram too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.