Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 134 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 3662

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Everything Radial Engines

Hello John, the 7B is definately 33ccm, the 7A is 22ccm (120 size). My 7A has power similar to a 70 four stroke, turns a 16 x 6 at 6000rpm (about 0.8hp).

I find it siutable to drive the glow plugs all the time (with onboard glow driver), but this obviously is only necessary with the very small 7A, ma 7B runs with 16 x 8 prop with glow driver only at idle.

Fuel with 12% Aerosave synthetic and 15% nitro works very well.

Your 7B seems to have the plastic rocker boxes (valve covers are always plastic) these type is claimed to be a little critical with rocker box problems.
    May be You ask Marc if the rocker boxes can be changed to th aluminium type...

Best regards, Jens

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the information. I took a closer look and noticed it is a plastic rocker boxes. Can't comprehend why plastic rocket was used, is it weight saving? I intend to use on-board glow for flying as I don't want this precious gem to quit during flight or in idle mode.

Btw, do you think it will fit well with GP PT-17, ESM Aichi or BH Corsair 91 ? The conern is the weight as I dont want it to fly sluggishly. Or should I choose a warplane that designed with 2-stroke 60 size engine ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi John,

my first try with the 7A was a K&W Thumelisa bipe. It weight nearly 5Kg (11lb ?) and it took off the ground but could not get out off the ground effect.
    So I think the 7B should fly with a 5Kg model quite well.

The Technopowers have only small output compared to single cylinder four strokes of the same size, may be halfe of it, and may be one third of a two stroke with the same size.
    They are no full throttle engines, and maximum rpm on the ground should be under 8000, I think rpm between 6000 and 7000 is OK. Instead, with onboard glow, safe idle is at 1000rpm,
    and after taxiing back, You can lower the idle to about 800.

I use my 7A now in a Velli Monocoupe that weighs about 3.5Kg, it flies very realistic at half throttle, I never had the engine stop incidentally. You can find a flight video of it here on the forum
    (just search for Technopower or Monocoupe) and a video of the engine performance in an earlyer model, a K&W Pfalz EI.

Oh, and as Dennis posted, the carb obviously is the original one and it's hard to understand why the engine runs that good with it, don't think about changing it.

Best regards, Jens

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deleted double post.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kivisto

Reading back through this forum reveals some big quality issues in the asp 400, have any of these been improved?? motor could be a major score at about 800 green backs
    The ASP/Magnum/FS400R5 had some serious QC issues when it 1st came out. There were issues W/the brittle link pins & cheap master rod & main bearings. Since these initial teething probelems they seemed to have vastly improved.

Here is a thread that covers a broad range of the problems & benefits of this bargain priced round engine. Take the time to read all the posts & you will lean much.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...20/key_/tm.htm

This link will open a page that is a collection of 88 youtube videoclips on the FS400R5. This engine has developed quite a following world wide.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jens,

Many thanks for the good advice. Based on what your have mentioned, it may be a challenges to fly the GP PT-17 as the overall weight is ard 6.5kg. BH Corsair 91 may be a better choice as total flying weight is ard 4.5kg. Think I will make a trip to the hobby shop and see if the cowling fits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cobra1

I saw this thread and just had to post this picture - as the subject line says - Everything Radial Engines.

I for one would NOT want to try "twisting the wick" on THAT!

The TQ would slam you right into the ground.

Much better to mount it longitudenally W/a gear primary drive.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: the Gnome

A gas engine has also normally more power than a methanol one, gas has mor internal energy than alkohol.

Holm und Rippenbruch

That's not exactly true as alchohol uses 33% more delivery volume on average in a given engine than gasoline & can be used W/higher compression ratios & more timing advance when spark ignition is emplyed.

One only has to look @ Saito's spec for the FA220 glow engine @ 3 1/2 HP compared to the same displacment gas version FG 36 @ 3.0 HP.

That's 15% less HP for the gas version.

Put RCXL spark on the FA220 W/glow fuel or E-85 & I wouldn't be surprised if the gap widened.

In automotive drag racing, many are going to E-85 to run more CR & spark advance curves that are more aggressive to make more HP. Iydoes require 30-33% more fuel delivery volume via bigger injectors.

Automotive engines
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's the best "scale sound" I have ever heard in an R/C model. 3 215cc Moki Radials. (too bad there's so much wind noise screwing uo the audio)

Turn up the volume & go to full screen for this one!
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GiFo1aXiQ[/youtube]
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SrTelemaster 150,

generally You are right when constructing or optimizing an engine to alcohol, I ment just changing the fuel on a given model engine, only modifying to spark ignition.

And we are not talking high performance engines in this forum, aren't we?

Jens

Holm und Rippenbruch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SrTelemaster 150,

generally You are right when constructing or optimizing an engine to alcohol, I ment just changing the fuel on a given model engine, only modifying to spark ignition.

And we are not talking high performance engines in this forum, aren't we?

Jens

Holm und Rippenbruch

Well generally speaking when some (Saito) glow engines are converted to gasoline the compression ratio needs to be reduced or the spark timimg advance has to be limited.

Here in the states we have E-85 (ethanol) fuel available in many areas. Running either methanol based glow fuels or E-85 ethanol (which is cheaper here than gasoline) can negate those factors allowing higher compression and/or more ignition timing advance, both of which will get you more HP. The 30 -33% higher delivery volume of the alchohol fuels compared to gasoline further off sets the reduced energy content (per unit volume) compared to gasoline.

After all, many of these (glow) engines were constructed to be "optimized to alcohol" in the 1st place. Just look @ Saitos reduced HP output for FG (gas) engines compared to similar displacement FA (glow) engines. Put spark ignitions on the FA version & continue to utilize alcohol based fuels & get more HP.

I've been running C&H spark ignition on Saito glow engines since 1997 while still running 15% Cool Power fuel & it reduced fuel consumption in my FA 150 by 60%.

Now that we have 85% ethanol fuel here in the "States" I see no reason to convert to gas when the E-85 will work well W/existing glow fuel carburators.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gents:

I've been reading through this voluminous thread, but haven't yet come across what I'm looking for, or I just missed it.  I'm new to the truly giant aircraft scene.  I've built a number of 80" -90" wingspan aircraft, but I'm wanting to step up.  I recently acquired the 1/3 scale Balsa USA Stearman and I definitely want to hang a gas radial on the front of it.  This will be my first go around with a radial and with a gas engine.  So here are a few questions for the intelligencia:

* I'm pretty drawn to the Seidel/UMS UT 7-260B and I saw a YouTube video where someone had one of those mounted on this plane.  Considering the Stearman should weigh in around 40-50 lbs, would anyone disagree that this is an appropriate engine for this airframe?

* I'm not real sure I'm clear on the fuel requirements for this engine.  The UMS web site says it's a petrol engine, but I presume that means we gotta mix some oil in the fuel.  So, what are we talking about for oil and what are the gasoline requirements?  Minimum octane, etc?

Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Cowboy

The engine you refer to is now known as the Evolution 7-260. Fuel is 32:1

See here: http://www.advantagehobby.com/188892/EVOE7260/?cat=384

Regards RossG
    radial1951

ORIGINAL: iraqi_cowboy

Gents:

I've been reading through this voluminous thread, but haven't yet come across what I'm looking for, or I just missed it. I'm new to the truly giant aircraft scene. I've built a number of 80" -90" wingspan aircraft, but I'm wanting to step up. I recently acquired the 1/3 scale Balsa USA Stearman and I definitely want to hang a gas radial on the front of it. This will be my first go around with a radial and with a gas engine. So here are a few questions for the intelligencia:

* I'm pretty drawn to the Seidel/UMS UT 7-260B and I saw a YouTube video where someone had one of thosemounted on this plane. Considering the Stearman should weigh in around 40-50 lbs, would anyone disagree that this is an appropriate engine for this airframe?

* I'm not real sure I'm clear on the fuel requirements for this engine. The UMS web site says it's a petrol engine, but I presume that means we gotta mix some oil in the fuel. So, what are we talking about for oil and what are the gasoline requirements? Minimum octane, etc?

Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, that's it, all right. Thanks for the lead, Radial.

Are we talking ordinary unleaded gasoline from the pump? And what kind of oil is used for the mix?

Much obliged...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Cowboy

Best look at Horizon Hobby web site, they have the manual available for download as a PDF...

It says 32:1 for break-in and then 40:1 thereafter. Nothing about octane rating so I would assume standard unleaded will be ok.

The EVO 7-160 version is also on the way. We are going to be spoilt for choice!!

Regards, RossG
    radial1951

Yep, that's it, all right. Thanks for the lead, Radial.

Are we talking ordinary unleaded gasoline from the pump? And what kind of oil is used for the mix?

Much obliged...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Holy crap, man! I've bought thousands of $$ worth from Horizon, mostly electric power, and this thing was right under my nose the whole time! I guess I just didn't think of them when it came to high end gas engines. Thanks very much for turning me onto this, downloading the manual now...

Is it correct to say that there has been no compromise in quality during the transitionsfrom Seidel to UMS to EVO?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, very interesting to see the EVO 160 coming soon.   http://www.advantagehobby.com/204597/EVOE7160/?cat=384

There's a big market for that size engine. Lots of ARFs just the right size. It was a pity the SL150 didn't turn out very good... it was a much more scale looking engine with enclosed rockers.

radial1951
    _________

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it correct to say that there has beenno compromise in qualityduring the transitionsfrom Seidel to UMS to EVO?
    Hi Cowboy

Umm, errr ... That's a tall order, although Herr Seidel was involved during the set-up at UMS. At that time, the radial engine dept was definitely a smallish operation. There are "staged" photos showing the same staff in different clothes in different rooms doing QA and "assembly" work!! To be fair, that was a few years ago, well before Horizon.

There are plenty of happy owners of the glow radials, but I haven't seen much comment on the gassers, it might be a bit soon yet. The specs are certainly impressive.I'm surprised Horizon let them leave the UMS name on it.

Regards
    radial1951

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gentlemen, There is a thread covering the 260 radial under warbirds and I have a thread covering the glow radials under glow engines. Both threads are on RCU. I have the 160 and I am putting it in the H9 beast. It swings an SEP 28x14 at 5200 and a Xoar 28x12 at 5600 rpm. The engines run much cooler and the cylinders also run evenly with equal fuel distribution. Vibration levels are delightfully low. I have been running my 160 at 40 to 1 Amsoil interceptor to phillips 66 premium. The engine sounds excellent and collector rings are available. Someone commented about quality, I have heavily flown the 7-70 and the 9-90 and they are a joy to operate and listen to. More pictures at the thread. -Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30380.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1729463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72994.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1729464  

thats a great looking engine!
    can you tell me if the standoffs came with your engine...
    I need 5 standoffs about 1.5in ...does anyone know where i can get these ..its for an asp 400
    any info much appreciated ,thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Evolution makes some 1.5" (38mm) standoff's

EVO3307

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...t-38mm-EVO3307

Pete
    Pete Bergstrom
    Saito, Evolution & Zenoah Manager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The pictured engine comes as seen with the stand-offs to a rear mounting ring which is where the ignition module is located. This picture shows the engine with the collector ring installed. -Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd92188.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	1729498  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maxam, Does the collector ring install easily (as compared to other set ups!), use the ring exhaust on the H9 Beast?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kivisto, Yes it is easy to install and yes the beast will use the 160 with the ring of course. I have with near obsession moved everything to the rear to obtimize CG without adding lead hopefully. Even the choke and throttle servos are under the rudder servo. Reciever and all batteries are far back. The batteries are all over the stab in the tail. -Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello John, the 7B is definately 33ccm, the 7A is 22ccm (120 size). My 7A has power similar to a 70 four stroke, turns a 16 x 6 at 6000rpm (about 0.8hp).

I find it siutable to drive the glow plugs all the time (with onboard glow driver), but this obviously is only necessary with the very small 7A, ma 7B runs with 16 x 8 prop with glow driver only at idle.

Fuel with 12% Aerosave synthetic and 15% nitro works very well.

Your 7B seems to have the plastic rocker boxes (valve covers are always plastic) these type is claimed to be a little critical with rocker box problems.
    May be You ask Marc if the rocker boxes can be changed to th aluminium type...

Best regards, Jens

Hi Jens,

Will removing the plastic rocker box from the engine solve of the heating issue ? What is the immediate concern if I fly without the rocker box ? Btw, I think it is cool to expose the engine and see the rocker and valves springs at work.