Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 139 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,475 of 3667

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Everything Radial Engines

The biggest issue with gas conversions on the radials is The ignition system...

About the only way I could figure was to add a pickup on each timming cam. and route it off 5-ignitions OR route 5=plugs off 1-ignition box...
    I don't know if it would be that easy as adding the spark plug caps to the ignition box.... It all depends on how many times per sec. the stock ignition is capable of firing ....

The other option to get a proper ignition pickup is a to machine a gear(s) setup that runs at the proper speed....
    I don't have a machine shop so the first seems more possible..
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: radial1951

ORIGINAL: kochj

Is there anyone that has a saito 325 5cyl radial check how much play there is on the crankshaft (push/pull prop hub to see if there is much movement)
    I guess I could just email or call horizon Hobby.....
    HiÂ*kochj,Â*my 325 hasÂ*ZEROÂ*end play in the crankshaft. There is no visible gap at the rear of the prop driver. I'm fairly certain that the prop driver is relieved at the back and the rim actually overlaps the nose of the front of the crankcase. This also appears to be the case with the 200R3, same design.

As you have had your 325 in pieces you already know what it looks like inside, but FWIW I have collected pics from the net of the 325 innards when other owners have dismantled them for repairs. Part #31 is a crankCASE (not crankshaft) set screw to hold the idler gear shafts in place, there are 5 of them.

You may find that putting a prop on and tightening it up will pull it all up tight... the tapered drive collet is probably not seated against the front bearing. (like my EVO 7-77 was)

Quite a few radials have been converted to petrol (gas) including the ASP 400 and Saito 325 and 450. I have the links somewhere if you are interested. There are several ways to fire radial ignition systems, none of them particularly elegant as an add-on, but quite workable.

Regards, RossG
    radial1951

Thanks... and Yes I am interested....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I emailed authentic scale a few months back about the 4 row they were developing. got a answer. was told early 2013. Looks like they aregoing to build some good looking and hopefully good running stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

I am setting up a BH 120 Coarsair with a Saito FA200R3. This is my VP30 fuel pump that worked great on a Saito .82/1.20 single and a OS 1.60 single. The pump runs off of the crank case presure. I have a multi cyl glow driver that is powered by a 5000 mAh NiMH 4.8 volt pack. The propeller is a 3 blade 16-8.

OK that's the set up. My question is when setting the high RPM needle valve it reached peak rpm (7500rpm) at about 5 turns out from all the way in. The rpm does not change when I open it further all the way until it comes out; when it stalls.

Since this is my first radial I am not sure if I have an issue or not. It seams to me that if I open the high speed needle valve past max rpm the rmp should drop due to a too rich mixture. Since it is not doing that I am wondering if the engine is fuel (volume) limited.

What do you think? One idea I came up with to test is to bypass the fuel pump and use exhaust pressure to drive the fuel. I have not tested this yet and was wondering if anyone has seen this befor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyrockets

Hello

I am setting up a BH 120 Coarsair with a Saito FA200R3. This is my VP30 fuel pump that worked great on a Saito .82/1.20 single and a OS 1.60 single. The pump runs off of the crank case presure. I have a multi cyl glow driver that is powered by a 5000 mAh NiMH 4.8 volt pack. The propeller is a 3 blade 16-8.

OK that's the set up. My question is when setting the high RPM needle valve it reached peak rpm (7500rpm) at about 5 turns out from all the way in. The rpm does not change when I open it further all the way until it comes out; when it stalls.

Since this is my first radial I am not sure if I have an issue or not. It seams to me that if I open the high speed needle valve past max rpm the rmp should drop due to a too rich mixture. Since it is not doing that I am wondering if the engine is fuel (volume) limited.

What do you think? One idea I came up with to test is to bypass the fuel pump and use exhaust pressure to drive the fuel. I have not tested this yet and was wondering if anyone has seen this befor.
    Hello flyrockets,

Your fuel pump setup will not work on a radial, as the pressure impulses on this engine type are too weak due to the big crankcase volume and the even suction of the multi cylinder.
    My advice is to provide a straigt feed with the tank as near to the carb as possible. Normally You will not need to assist by exhaust pressure, but my 325R5 has a pressure pipe on one
    of the exhaust tubes.
    And at last, yes, full throttle fuel quantity is an issue on nearly all radials, this is because the even suction causes much slower gas velocity in the carb compared to a single cylinder
    with its small intake pipe volume. With the correct carb diameter this is nothing to be worried, just make it rich enough for full rpm and open the needle some extra 1/4 to 1/2 turns.

Jens

Holm und Rippenbruch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you,

Iwill bypass the fuel pump and run it up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm thinking about building a Ziroli PT-17 87 inch version for my Saito 450R3. What do you guys think?
    Steve
    Club Saito #638, Ultra Sport BH #67, Cub BH #71, Spitfire BH #165

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Making progress with my UMS Evolution 7-77 break-in. The engine is running much stronger now and the idle has improved a great deal. Here is a video of one of the break-in engine runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR0f_...ature=youtu.be

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update (the crank play on radial)

The reason the crank moves forward and back = The movement forward and back, sliding on the wrist pins...
    If I don't want movement....... The crank needs to be pulled up tight, and then place the prop hub on...

This leaves the piston rods, slid all the way forward on the wrist pins, and the crank counter balance up, against the bearing....
    done deal....

One more note.... The prop hub on the Saito 325 is soooo tight, it has to be heated up in order to be moved.....It isn't going ANYWHERE....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Heli-NuBee

Making progress with my UMS Evolution 7-77 break-in. The engine is running much stronger now and the idle has improved a great deal. Here is a video of one of the break-in engine runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR0f_...ature=youtu.be

Roger
    Like all radials; The collector (exhuast) addition, makes the engine sound much deeper, and growly....than the short headers alone...

Thanks for the vid....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just ordered an ASP 400 radial from Hobby King. Hobby King has just received a limited supply. I plan to use this engine in my CMP 80" Zero, I believe that will be a good combination. I just love my other radial engines, the Saito 200 radial and the UMS Evolution 777 radial, so I could not resist buying one of the ASP 400 radials when it became available.

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCd7...F&feature=plcp

Here is a video of the new saito 83cc gas 3-cly engine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I heard the through the grapevine that the Evolution 9 cylinder, 99cc glow radial will be released as a GASSER... can anyone confirm or deny?
    The older I get, the faster I was...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That would be nice if they did. Heck they should do them all that way. They are strong enough internaly
    Just Make It Look Real !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RichardGee

I heard the through the grapevine that the Evolution 9 cylinder, 99cc glow radial will be released as a GASSER... can anyone confirm or deny?
    They would sell more if it was with the 77cc...
    What do they use on there crank/rod connection?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 77chickenhawk

That would be nice if they did. Heck they should do them all that way. They are strong enough internaly
    Strong enough?
    I thought that gasoline lowers internal preasure in the cyl.?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah true. Its the bearings ppl worry about and proper oiling. These engies would work fine converted to gas
    Just Make It Look Real !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/3 scale B-25 with Moki 400 engines! [X(]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZowexXfK_Ao[/youtube]
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kmot

1/3 scale B-25 with Moki 400 engines! [X(]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZowexXfK_Ao[/youtube]

OMG! I got butterflies just watching that. I can't imagine having that much $$$$ in the air under my control.

My knees would be knockin'.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kochj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCd7...F&feature=plcp

Here is a video of the new saito 83cc gas 3-cly engine

If they would offer that ignition system for the FA450R3 as A reasonably priced option, then they would really have something.

The higher compression of a CDI converted glow engine running Glow fuel would make more power than the Gasser.

Looks like YS is the only engine manufacturer that has a clue as to the advantages of CDI W/glow fuel.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I picked up a Fleet Bi-plane with a Saito 325R5 on it. I don't think its been run much and maybe not for a long time. What should I do to it before trying to start it? What should I use to clean it? How old do you think this is? What prop should I use? Any other info or help will be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71917.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1812659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51455.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	1812660  
    Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a single-plug Saito FA-325R5, so earlier version than the more recent dual-plug FA-325R5D. A 20x8 prop would be a good starting point. You may need onboard glow to keep all the cylinders lit. It should clean up just fine with some alcohol (or fuel); would be a good idea to liberally oil the cylinders (through the glow plug holes) and crankcase (throught the carb). I use a 50/50 blend of air tool oil and Rislone, but there are other after-run oils. It's not too difficult to pull the backplate and inspect the innards if some doesn't seem right, but I would avoid tearing into it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the feedback. It does have onboard glow.
    Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This forum has been far too quiet lately. I flew my Saito 200 radial engine powered Seagull Sea Fury last week and it was awsome. The engine seems to ge gaining power and running stronger with each flight. I am very pleased with this combination. The plane is very stable and flys great. The engine seems to be an excellent match for this airplane.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Roger the radial rabbit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The forom really is a bit quiet, so, here is a new project I have, and some questions, hopefully there are some folks who can set some lite on the problem:

Some weeks ago I ordered a Replica Engines Gnome Monosoupape from Scott Warner. My plan is to make a combination with a quarter scale Bleriot to fly with this engine.
    Of course, power will be a problem, I hope to get the flying weight under 7Kg, so the, may be, 1HP may just be enough to get into the air.

Since last week Scott has the Gnome on the test stand, he tells that it needs rpm above 1000 to start, is there anybody who has experience with this engine, may be even
    flying a model with it?

Whow do You start the engine when fitted to a model? Is a normal starter strong enough?

Scott recomends normal Methanol two stroke fuel, do You think that gas would be a better alternative?

What fuel pump is used to run the engine?

I will be happy for any help I can get.

Jens

Holm und Rippenbruch