Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 AM
TURBINATOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

I think most people run their engines with a high oil content for a bigger margin of safety should they have a lean run while flying. Down here in South Texas where I fly, the weather can change substancially throughout the day, ie. high humidity and quickly changing temps. Therefore, we are constantly having to "tune" our engines from one flight to the next. Also, most manufacturers have a very high oil content recommended in the owners manual. For instance, I run Saito engines and the manual recommends no less than 20% oil content, especially for break-in. With the cost of these engines, I just don't think people want to risk being on the edge. Also, since we are not running these engines in high rpm situations and don't do 3D with our radials, we don't try to get every last ounce of performance from them. So if they run rich and oily, so be it. A little windex will take care of the clean-up. We have year round flying down here too, so our planes don't every sit around to get gummed up. We fly every weekend just about.

Jeff
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Sandman Norway

I understad you point Jeff, but when Seidel recomend 6-8% its kind of strange that Saito\OS\ASP recomend 20%..
They work the same internaly..

Anyway, I*m going to fire up my Seidel 770 for the first time this weekend. Its going in the nose of a Sist Fw-190A7 (1:5).
I hope the neigbours like the same "music" as I do :-)

Have a nice weekend..

Best regards

Sandman
Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
TURBINATOR

Sandman,

Good luck with the break-in! I think if the neighbors can tolerate lawnmowers and weedwackers, they surely can tolerate the sweet music from a radial. Nothing like it and that's why we are in this forum.
Let me know how it goes for you.

Jeff
Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this isn't a for sale section, but I have decided to sell my NIB OS FR5 Sirius 300 - $1400 if anyone wants it before I list -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22062.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	762776  
Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
the Gnome

Hey Sandman,

there is e very good reason, why OS / ASP and Saito recommend such a high content of oil: Seidel engines suck the mixture through the crank case, so all the oil can reach the bearings, OS / ASP engines have a seperate intake housing, so only the amount of oil that passes the piston rings can lubricate the bearings. The Saito R5 has, as the Robart, a seperate intake chamber with an impeller to force the mixture into the manifolds, so the lubrication works as on the OS / ASP!

gnome

Holm und Rippenbruch
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Better too much oil than not enough. You will find out.........
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
chasrb

Here is my ST710 that I put into RCU Video earleir this year... enjoy I hope the link works...

[link]http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/XKZ67Y65R7LHV5F9[/link]
Old 09-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Sweet Music!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Sandman Norway

Gnome: Thanks for the input, that explains it for me..

Chasman: What size of prop are you using in the video. 24x10?? Any MAX and MIN RMP data..?

I though of starting mine with a 22x10, but I do see others use up to 24x10..

Hopefully the weather wil permit a test run tomorrow...

Best regards..

Sandman
Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
gdutruy

Sandman,

Do you plan to run your engine with our without a collector ring as i heard it was better not to unse it for the break in and first hours (it allow you to check that every cylinder is doing is job) ???

Gilles
Old 09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
the Gnome

Sandman,

I run my ST 710 with a 24x10, safe idle is about 900 to 1000rpm, max rpm is about 5500 to 5800, this is without collector ring. Mr Seidel sais, the ST 710 should perform at least 5000rpm max after one hour break in.

gnome

Holm und Rippenbruch
Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 PM
chasrb

I am using a 24x10 when I broke it in. I still have it on because on the test stand it put a load on the engine so it works harder and will, in my opinon, break the engine in as if were in use on the airframe.

On my last run I had about 6300 rpm max safe is 6800 I believe. I'll have to go look at my book. I idle about 1200, I can go lower but don't yet.

Oh also on the collector ring.. if you want one you will need to send the engine to Keleo because each one of teh Siedels is jussst a bit different from the other. I had my ring put on before I broke it in and I have had not one problem. I was going to remove it but it was a real pain and I never took it off.

If you want, break it in then send it to Keleo.

I also monitored the temp of each cyl constantly as I broke it in. Some were cool others warm. Shut the engine down start it up again and the cool one went warm! On average now the temps are around 193 - 211 Faren...
Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM
kochj

So do you start that up once and a while and just plop a chair in front of it and watch it run?
I would, for the daily engine FIx!

ORIGINAL: chasrb

Here is my ST710 that I put into RCU Video earleir this year... enjoy I hope the link works...

[link]http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/XKZ67Y65R7LHV5F9[/link]
Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
gizmo_454

AO, where abouts are you in Michigan? A few months back I happened to pass by someone flying something at the south end of the Big Rapids airport... Maybe that was you? LOL
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
chasrb

Yep, adds to the sounds of the night! The last run, this weekend, at bout 5 k or so I could feel the rumble in the ground next to the stand - that was very, very cool. I had not felt that before. Added a lot to the sense of realism.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Na, not me. I live in the Waterford Area in Oakland County. I fly at the pontiac Miniature Aircraft Club in White Lk. township. We just had out Scale Fly in this past weekend. Beautiful weather and lots of cool formation flying with all my WWII buddiies.......I'm the only Axis guy there with my little tired but true Zero ( only 45 sized). Just wait till next year when my radial powered quarter scale hits the blue!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Harrier Mate

Chasrb and others,

I'm currently building the Flair Stearman (contributor to: Flair 1/4 Scale PT17/Stearman Build) and HAD decided to go with the SAITO 180 GK (single cylinder) surrounded by the 6 dummy cylinders provided. When in place the effect is very convincing as a 7 cylinder radial. HOWEVER, having been drawn to this thread by Cybertom and your inputs, the SAITO may have to stay NIB in favour of a real radial.

Having not owned or operated a radial before, I have all the standard newboy questions: Which one? How easy are they to start, operate and maintain? What other onboard equipment is required (glow driver - what?) beyond that for single cylinder? With most of the framework complete, I am almost ready to start on the engine tube/firewall installation and therefore need to consider carefully what to mount up front.

Advice and pointers for radial 'virgin' appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73318.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	771380  
Old 09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Cybertom

Harrier Mate,

None Radial Comment
This would be a good time to move your cabane struts in a little until they touch the stringers. This is the scale location. Flair lost something when they went from prototype to production and they protrude out to low on the fuselage.

Radial Comment
As a owner of a Robart R780 I would say that the Seidel ST770 is the way to go. From a scale, weight, and power perspective its an excellent match for your aircraft. The Robart looks really cool and has gobs of power and weight and is overkill for this aircraft. I'm sure some of the guys that own Seidel's will chime in on this one. Sputez owns several of them and actually flys them unlike many other here who are simply collectors. Hopefully he will comment.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:42 PM
chasrb

Ok just to prove I am not a collector, but I have one on my ST710 LOL!! HM you will absolutely love the radials!! I have the ST 710, which is the updated ST770 from Seidel, I have also picked up two Saito 170 radials for my Tigercat I am working on. So I believe that if a radial can be used and it is a semi-scale or scale fit, then go for it. It'll be money well spent!

Just to toot my on Seidel here is the link to my St710 running if you did not hear it already. [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6367402[/link]

BTW, in my last run I noticed the lower two were not firing, need to check the harness....

I am using a Microsens 7 for this as aglow driver, the Saitos I'll be using a McDaniel’s 6 to light both 170's.

Browse the forum, lots of good info in here. It may take a while to read, but is really worth it.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Harrier Mate

Chasman and Cybertom,

Thanks for the inputs. I seem to have spent more time surfing the computer recently than building - but the info contained in the threads is invaluable. The video of the St710 running was what convinced me a radial may be a worthwhile investment. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't fully appreciate the beauty of such a fine piece of mechanical engineering art in operation (That's not quite the phrase she used).

Cybertom, rather than corrupt this thread with non-radial chat I will send you a PM regarding the cabane adjustments.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, check this thing out!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBgSMLHge0
Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Bone

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Hey guys, check this thing out!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBgSMLHge0
To quote Elaine from Seinfeld - "I am without speech" [8D]
Old 10-01-2007, 06:37 AM
chasrb

HM go to the Flair 1/4 Scale PT17/Stearman Build or Cybertoms orignal thread - lots of goodies in there - go to this thread Flair 1/4 Scale PT-17 Stearman Review..
Old 10-01-2007, 06:48 AM
chasrb

[link]http://www.mhm-scale-aircraft.com/#[/link] This is the link to the build site of this plane. If I could have such a workshop!

That is beyond an RC and all the way to a drone! What a beautiful piece of work!! I would either have to take something to calm my nerves or have been UAV pilot in the Military to fly that.

Too bad we in the States don't have a field like that as well.

Bone you are right...there are no words to express ....
Old 10-01-2007, 07:41 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What country was that video from, Kmot?

What beautiful artistry.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.