Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a sweet machine. How heavy is it???
Old 08-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Radial power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
That is a sweet machine. How heavy is it???
Hi Rv7garage, do you mean the airplane in the last photo or the engine? If it's the plane I haven't completed it yet, but I'm hoping for sub-1500g weight including everything minus fuel. That's with the Wankel engine, of course...
The Il-300 is listed at 2350g. I haven't weighted it to check whether this figure is accurate or not though.

Andrea.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:28 PM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by Radial power

The initial idea was to use the Il-300 in a P-51, but then I realized that such a choice is just too obvious. A less common alternative would be a Bf-109K, but then I found the perfect plane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggiane_Re.2005 . Very clean and beautiful lines, almost no one has it, smallish fullsize wingspan so that it can be built at a farly large scale without the plane getting to big and/or heavy while at the same time offering a reasonable amount of space in the nose for the engine. And it was built here in my town (the old factory still exists, even though it's abandoned now)!
I'll have to figure out how to mount the engine fully enclosed, drawing in cooling air from the radiator scoop under the belly. And also I'll have to somehow get a rather long prop extension, which will have to be supported at the front end.
Andrea, the other issue you will most likely have with the IL300 is that it will not run successfully inverted, at least in my experience. I know at least two people who have tried, both with the engine inverted in Tiger Moths, and neither had much success it getting the engine to run properly inverted. Hence the reason why I plan to put mine in a Gypsy Moth, upright. You might have better luck installing it upright with a reduction drive that puts the prop drive inline with the cylinder heads, so the engine can fit inside the cowl. Much like the full size inline aircraft do (e.g. P-51). You can then also swing a bigger multi-bladed scale prop. Just my two cents worth.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Radial power

Originally Posted by jymster
Andrea, the other issue you will most likely have with the IL300 is that it will not run successfully inverted, at least in my experience. I know at least two people who have tried, both with the engine inverted in Tiger Moths, and neither had much success it getting the engine to run properly inverted. Hence the reason why I plan to put mine in a Gypsy Moth, upright. You might have better luck installing it upright with a reduction drive that puts the prop drive inline with the cylinder heads, so the engine can fit inside the cowl. Much like the full size inline aircraft do (e.g. P-51). You can then also swing a bigger multi-bladed scale prop. Just my two cents worth.
jymster, I did take several measurements on a set of high(ish) resolution 3-views and compared them to the drawings of the engine in the owner's manual, obviously scaling the engine so that it is at the correct scale size. It seems like there's a little bit more space if I mount the engine upright in the Re 2005, but even if I do that I'll have to move the engine back some 10cm to 15cm (4" to 6") away from the prop, hence the need for a rather long and most likely supported prop extension. I'll certainly build a mockup of the nose to investigate the matter and determine the exact engine position before the actual construction begins. Does anyone have experience with long prop extensions? What would be the maximum safe unsupported length?
For sure I'd prefer to mount the engine upright anyway (why does the text editor always want to write "Mount" with a capital letter?), as it makes flooding less likely and would ease the oiling of the valvetrain before each flight.

I thought about the reduction drive option, but came to the conclusion that it's a much higher risk option: with a prop extension all one has to worry about is to add a properly supported ball bearing at the front. The engine takes care of the radial support at the rear end and also provides longitudinal support (i.e. it takes all of the prop thrust). A reduction drive (be it gear or belt) would need a completely independent prop shaft, which would require a much more capable support system able to take axial, radial and (possibly) tilting loads. I'd love to do it, but for now I'll pass...
The 1:5 scale prop for that plane would be a 24" 3 blade prop. I know that the engine can spin a 20" 2 blade, so a 18" 3 blade should be doable. Perhaps after some experimentation and when the engine is fully broken in it may be possible to switch to a 20" 3 blade. And the scale spinner would be 6" in diameter, so perhaps it may cover a little bit of the prop and give a small rpm boost. I've never used large prop spinners, so I'm not sure what to expect in that regard. Not a scale prop, but not too far either IMHO.

Just a little question for anyone willing to answer: the serial number in my Il-300 seems really low (less than 170). The engine has been available since 2006, so I was expecting something above 1000. 170 engines in 9 years mean what, less than 20 engines per year worldwide? I know these engines do not sell in large numbers, but I was expecting a little more...
My FR5-300 has a serial number close to 2000. True, it's been on sale since the mid '80s, but that figure indicates an average of 100 engines per year worldwide. Perhaps my Il-300 was stocked by the importer a long time ago and sold only now? Does anyone have any info about other serial numbers to compare (doesn't need to be the exact number, just an idea of what kind of figure it is)? No real need for this, it's just that I'm curious...

Andrea.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:55 PM
77chickenhawk

Because they cost to dam much money is likely why the low nmbers
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody wants one....no one can afford one :-)
Old 08-05-2015, 05:22 AM
Radial power

Originally Posted by SJN
Everybody wants one....no one can afford one :-)
Agreed. I's just that I didn't think that the numbers were so low.

Andrea.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably has a bit to do with the fact that there aren't very many good matches as far as airframes available, given the size and power output of the engine. So you're restricted to mostly kit builds, and kit builds of a specific plane type. Both of which lead to reduced popularity of an engine
Old 08-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Radial power

Originally Posted by chorner
Probably has a bit to do with the fact that there aren't very many good matches as far as airframes available, given the size and power output of the engine. So you're restricted to mostly kit builds, and kit builds of a specific plane type. Both of which lead to reduced popularity of an engine
Another good point. I think it was said a long time ago that the Il-300 uses cylinders that are much too long when compared to the actual stroke of the pistons. I seem to recall that the explanation was about having a more scale like engine for certain applications (perhaps WWI inline engines?). The downside is that this makes the engine unnecessarily tall, making it harder to cowl than it should be.
I wish OS would make a "short cylinder" version of this engine with, say, 1 to 1.5cm shorter cylinders. Same everything else. It would be so much easier to cowl...

Andrea.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:40 PM
jymster

Originally Posted by Radial power
Another good point. I think it was said a long time ago that the Il-300 uses cylinders that are much too long when compared to the actual stroke of the pistons. I seem to recall that the explanation was about having a more scale like engine for certain applications (perhaps WWI inline engines?). The downside is that this makes the engine unnecessarily tall, making it harder to cowl than it should be.
I wish OS would make a "short cylinder" version of this engine with, say, 1 to 1.5cm shorter cylinders. Same everything else. It would be so much easier to cowl...

Andrea.
Andrea, I think you'll find that the IL300 was inspired by the Gipsy engine, such as was used in the Gipsy Moth.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/ph...ine_gypsy1.jpg

But yes, it is also suited to a lot of WWI aircraft too.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I read some years ago that Mr OS. produced the engine to fulfill a promise to a friend. Had he put the exhaust on the other side he would have had a better audience for his product. I can think of a lot of 1/4 scale WWI planes that used the Mercedes 4 cylinder engine where that would work great in.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Fulcrum2111

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello how difficult to mantain are radial engines compared to single cylinder ones?

Last edited by Fulcrum2111; 04-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:15 AM
chasrb

Originally Posted by Fulcrum2111
hello how difficult to mantain are radial engines compared to single cylinder ones?
add up the cyl and then you have your answer LOL. Really!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:53 AM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If any one is looking to buy a new, collectible Wally Warner 5 cylinder radial, please check my post #2770 on page 111. The engine is for sale for $2,500 - negotiable. Please PM me if interested.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Hi all, with 149 pages to read through I hope you dont mind- does anyone know what 4 blade prop will work best with an ASP 400 converted to gas?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:01 PM
jymster

Originally Posted by AC2
Hi all, with 149 pages to read through I hope you dont mind- does anyone know what 4 blade prop will work best with an ASP 400 converted to gas?

Thanks!
G'day mate. I'm no expert in glow to gas conversions, but I have read that you will probably lose around 20-30% in power with the conversion. I believe the 2-blade prop range for this engine in its glow form is 18"-22". I'd suggest you be looking at a 4-blade in the range of 14"-16".
Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 PM
AC2

Hi Jame, less power? I never heard that one. Only that of same cu 4stroke less power than 2stroke but 4 stroke more torque.

Thank you for the responce
Old 05-23-2016, 05:20 AM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Glow (alcohol) fuels generate more power than gasoline because you can put more fuel through them. The air:fuel ratio for gasoline is more than twice that of methanol.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 AM
AC2

Wow, I seriously cannot recall if I have ever heard that before but its a very good bit of information. I switched over the gas years ago because of the the mess the glow engines leave on my plane, never considered the power aspect of it...but still going gas...just good to have this info.. Thank you guys!

BTW, does glow make the engine louder than gas? Reason I ask because on this particular engine I purchased it because I like the LOUD sound of a radial (first radial engine)

Still need that 4 blade prop Might consider staying glow.. but prop is a must have
Old 05-23-2016, 06:29 AM
AC2

So, I know once converted to gas you can use the same carb, or switch over the a Walbro... would one be better than the other when converting to gas as far as getting back some of the power loss?
Old 05-23-2016, 06:39 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's the deal with gas vs methanol. Gas actually has higher btu's but Methanol supplies better/more Oxidation for combustion. So it burns faster for a given volume.
No carb will make up the difference in power so far as I know. If your carb. is presently working fine it shouldn't make a difference if you switch to a Walbro or not.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 AM
AC2

Thumbs up

Good info... Thank you!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 PM
Armin de Vries

1/3 Pup with UML 160 Rotary engine

https://youtu.be/irfCnh9-rpU

Last edited by Armin de Vries; 06-26-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:04 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ctid3UtP4
Old 07-01-2016, 09:07 AM
AC2

My ASP400 is going in a Bates Dauntless. Converted to gas will probably start break-in next week.

So I'm at a point where Jeff Miko is needing to know what engine I am installing in my Hellcat so he can install my engine box

I am having a hard time deciding between the Moki 180 or the Evolution 160.

7 cylinders look better than 5.

Price difference is roughly 700.00 which is a huge difference but I can make that up just need some more input. I know where I want to go I just need a little nudge.

Thank you guys, any input is valuable to me and I appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.