Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

hand fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 07:24 AM
bako

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hand fuel pumps?

i have 0 experience in fuel tanks. i always filled my tanks with cola poliethilen bottle, with custom made adaptor.
anybodu used thees pumps? and which is better? how long will they last?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMA93&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB887&P=7

which one is beter?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: hand fuel pumps?

To me, the Six Shooter is bulky, hard to mount, and hard to use. I've used Hobbico pumps for many years and have been very satisfied.

Dr.1
Old 08-05-2005, 08:26 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

bako1,

I have used the Hobbico type fuel pump and prefer it over any of the others. I strongly recommend the Hobbico pump and also recommend you buy the fittings for your fuel jug at the same time.
I have been using a Hobbico type fuel pump for 3 years with no problems.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I also use the Hobbico Hand Crank Fuel Pump. I like being able to count the number of turns to fill the tank, as it helps me keep track of fuel consumption. Had an interesting experience the other day at club training. One of our new pilots showed up with his electric pump mounted on his flight box. Unfortunately, he hadn't charged the battery, and had no other means to move fuel. I showed him my Hobbico hand crank and explained the "batteries" had never gone dead yet . We pumped the fuel for him, and I bet next week he shows up with one!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the Hobbico and the Hangar 9 hand fuel pumps over the Dave Brown Six Shooter. I tried the Six Shooter once and didn't like it because I couldn't really hold it in my palm while cranking it.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with the above. The Hobbico is a good pump for the money. I have two hand and one electric. The electric is faster but the life span on the hand pump is longer. When I get home I will post a pic of the mounting on a metal fuel can. Very simple.

David
Old 08-05-2005, 12:38 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a "Six-Shooter" and the next day traded it for the Hangar Nine/Hobbico pump.

Bill.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 PM
bako

tahnks boys. after so much + replyes i'll get hobbico of course.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:38 PM
RC-Captain

My hobbico pump crapped out on me the second time I used it , due to poor construction or me not knowing my own strength. Any way I opened it up and put the gears back in place and never had a problem since then.

GL
Old 08-05-2005, 07:40 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Here the pic I promised. Wish I had taken a better one. I took this to show off the fuel tank stopper in the can lid. Anyway the pump has some two sided tape behind it to hold it steady. Then a big zip tie around it.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69846.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	306056  
Old 08-06-2005, 02:24 AM
bako

thx for pix
Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]I've been using the Dave Brown Six Shooter for 20+ years with no
problems. It did come with it's own gallon can way back then. I
recommend it.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:51 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I too have tried the Dave Brown six-shooter pump 20-25 years ago...since then I've only used electric pumps...lately I have been trying some Hobbico pumps and I'm impressed....they are definitely much better than all the pumps I've tried previously, electric as well as mechanical.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 08-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I like the Hangar 9 Ultra and the MPI
Old 02-12-2006, 09:09 PM
fxrider

I just found this thread in search of a new hand pump. I was so impressed with the set up daveopam came up with I printed it and set my fueler up just like it....If you ever return here thank you daveopam....
Old 02-13-2006, 01:56 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; I have both of those pumps; The Six shooter is a peristaltic pump, it moves the fuel by squeezing the pipe that is filled with fuel and moving the squeezer along the pipe. The hand pump works by moving the fuel into a chamber that has two gears in it, the chamber fits tight to the gears so the fuel must move along the same direction as the gears, it can't feed back to the inlet because the gears mesh together tightly enough that the fuel can't get between the gears. There is a geared increase before the pump, so that one crank of the handle gives you 9 or so revolutions of the gears.
I use the six-shooter with my diesel fuels, and the crank pump with glow fuels. The six shooter has a diesel kit in it, which means that the tube that gets squeezed is Tygon.
I wore out 3 electric pumps before I went to the hand cranked pump. They must have improved the pump quite a bit since the electric (hobbico) pumps, I haven't been able to wear the cranked pump out yet.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

You will wear out two or three of those cheap Chinese Hobbico pumps before the Dave Brown needs a service kit. The Dave Brown will go into your estate. As to the previous comment about about hard to mount I just don't understand that because it has a mount available for the fuel jugs.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB888&P=7
They have one for cans too.

You can extend the life of those Hobbico pumps by not pumping them as fast as you can turn the handle. I've seen guys crank on them like it was a contest.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:43 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

I have worn out several electric pumps, they do not seem to last very long. I also wore out a handcrank pump which is just the same as the electric internally except for the electric motor. A friend gave me an old Six Shooter and thats what I use today. It can be repaired again and again; the others leak, must be tossed away after a while. They are just not well made and will not last as long as the Six Shooter.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
pilotpete2

Hi to all,
Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 PM
pilotpete2

Hi again!
Too quick on the finger there, anyway I am a big fan of the slimline electric pumps, they are also peristaltic pumps, they're a little more $$ but they last, also they stock rebuild kits (tubing and rollers) they come in a 2 styles, one to mount on top a fuel bottle and a bracketed unit to mount on your field box.
Good luck

Pete
Old 02-13-2006, 07:03 PM
GLflyer

Get the TowerHobbies brand pump, it's exactly the same as the Hobbico pump, but a few bucks cheaper.

Greg
Old 02-14-2006, 03:40 PM
bla bla

Hey guy's lets just get one thing straight here for the record... Fuel pumps break!
Regardless of how much or little you spend, electric or manual, branded or not they'll cease to function, garenteed!
The disatisfaction of that event is directly proportional to how much you've invested (read been suckered into by the adverts, shop owners or the bigDIC down the strip) on your pump.
Their longevity doesn't seem to controlled by quality or money... instead shear luck! Some last for ages others have broken down after a few gallons
Go cheap and get a couple, keep one in the background as a back-up... and don't develop and ego about it it's only a Pump.
Having said that........ if you really want to do what some of the big pattern Nobs do... you'll use a giant 25oz medical syring for one shot filling your Tetra bubbless bladder tank. Then you're hangin'!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:29 PM
britbrat

I find that the Hobbico hand pump lasts about three years for me -- & thats OK
Old 02-14-2006, 05:31 PM
bri neasham

May i offer yet another possible contender for the "best" fuel pump?

For years i used to use the Dubro hand cranked pump, it clamped onto the rim of a metal fuel can, this was the early 80's. worked great, very fast filling, never leaked, then after about 3 or 4 years (yes really!) it started to slow in its fill rate. Broke it open to see what was going on and found it was a "impeller" type pump and some of the impeller blades had broken off, i guessing probably due to constant exposure to glow fuel making them more brittle. Replaced it with the same type pump but this one didn't last half as long for some reason.

Next one i tried was the "DB Six Shooter", never had any luck with it, slow fill rate and was a lot harder to crank compared to the Dubro pump.

Next i tried a electric pump for the first time, a Kavan one made in Germany. It had a 12v motor and brass gears to do the pumping and was superb with a very fast fill rate ( i had to zip lock all connections or they would blow off!) and never leaked. Eventually it also started to slow up, what was happening was fuel eventually began leaking from the pump unit into the motor and getting onto the brushes and causing the slower speed. Stripping the motor and cleaning the brushes was only a temporary cure. Tried 2 more of the same type of pump and they both went the same way, only much quicker.

Anyway, to cut a long story short after MANY failures the pump i am using now and have for the past 2 years with ZERO problems using mainly 30% nitro fuel is the

MK Fuel pump, manual version which is made in Japan

Best Regards

Brian
Old 02-14-2006, 06:01 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bako1

i have 0 experience in fuel tanks. i always filled my tanks with cola poliethilen bottle, with custom made adaptor.
anybodu used thees pumps? and which is better? how long will they last?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMA93&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB887&P=7

which one is beter?
I have two of the Tower Hobbies brand hand pumps that have been in use for six years now (had to take one apart and mess with the gears a bit). I also have a brand new Dave Brown Six-Shooter pump/metal can set-up that is still sitting in the shop, unused. the Tower pumps will give you great service; just don't crank on them fast.

Good flying,
desmobob

PS-- I also keep a bulb-type fuel pump in the bottom of my cleaning supply bucket just in case. That gives me two back-ups. Nothing worse than getting to the field with all your stuff and not being able to get fuel into your airplane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.