Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

help on a OS48

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 01:10 AM
quarterhrses
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on a OS48

This poor engine is about a prop turn away from being thrown out the window. With the glow driver on it will run fine but the second you take it off the engine dies instantly. I have went through a dozen different glow plugs thinking one might work better then another but no luck. So with that said i am open to suggestions. Bring em on!!!!

Thanks to all in advance
Dan

P.S. This engine had sat for about a year up untill the other night when i started to mess with it and it has a new muffler on it also. Don't know if that will make a difference but thought i would let everyone know.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:36 AM
Mr. Wildcat

Default Engine Fix

First of all, go to hobby store and buy an OS F or an Enya #3. Buy a brand new one and don't rely on any used/old plugs on your bench.

ALSO, buy a fresh gallon of 15% fuel or if you can get it 20/20 fuel.
Don't use any fuel which has been opened/exposed to air. It is possible you got a bad batch--it happens often. I just opened a new gallon last week during our New Year Fun Fly and found out that it was contaminated with lots of water, and this was a new gallon too! I won't say the manufactuer but it wasn't one of the big three.

Replace glow plug wiht NEW OS F and fuel with NEW FUEL! Start engine and move throttle to 1/4 position. Remove plug. If it dies than restart engine and leave glow plug. Let engine warm up for 2 minutes. Squeeze fuel line when running and measure with tach how much engine speeds up. If it speeds up more than 300 rpm you are TOO RICH and need to lean out your low end. Adjust low end mixture so it runs reliably without quenching your glow plug. Go to full throttle, and adjust with tach your high end mixture so engine is 300 shy of max lean rpm at full throttle. You should be good now.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

Default OS 48

I have one of these myself, nice little engine. In addition to the above, I'd offer two points.

1-The carb is an air bleed type, so the low speed mixture is adjusted just the reverse of the high, turning the low speed screw clockwise RICHENS the low end, instead of leaning it. Also, Until you get the high speed needle pretty close, the low speed adjustment won't come in right.

2-Use the Type F OS plug. I've heard YS has a not new 4-stroke plug, but until I see different, the OS F is the best 4-stroke plug going.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:51 AM
quarterhrses
Banned

Default Thanks

Appreciate all the advice. Here is one more. I am wondering if i dont have a major leak in the front of my fuel tank, you know where the rubber is when you squeeze the screw down. Friend of mine said he heard they were having problems on this type of gas tank. Food for thought.

Happy flying
Dan
Old 01-09-2002, 02:24 AM
Mr. Wildcat

Default help on a OS48

All of our recommendations are made on the assumption your fuel tank has no leaks, is not too far back from engine, is centered with your carb, and fuel tubing has no pinholes, and proper muffler pressure to engine.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:23 AM
drywaller

Default help on a OS48

In addition to the above, check the compression. If it is too low you will run into problems like the ones you described.
Hope this helps, Marc.
Ps. if all else fails I might like to take this engine off of your hands.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:47 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OS 48

Hi!
The best glowplug for any OS fourstroke engineis the OS F plug Donīt use any other plug (even the Enya 3 ).
YS has a good plug too but I have not been able to test it yet!
It is of vital importance that the tank is centered so that the middle of the tank is inline with the carb. also the tank should be as close to the model as possible. Any tank will do as long as the size is correct fot correct fueltanks size is also important. (for your OS .48 a 200cc or 240cc is enough .Too big tank and you will have problem
with the engine setting (running too lean as the tank is nearly empty.
Best tank on the market is the Tettra brand sold by Pylonracing Worldchamp Dave Shadel
(Performance specialties Nevada)He also sells YS engines.
Also dont use too small prop or to large.
A 11x6, 11x7,12x5, 12x6 or 13x4 prop could be tried. APC is the best propeller ,even compared to wood! This rekommendation at sea-level
(Sweden).

Best of Luck!
Jan karlsson
Sweden
Old 01-13-2002, 12:09 AM
GoNavy
My Feedback: (15)

Default OS 48

All of the previous comments are on the money, though I would stay away from a 12/6 or equivalent load. Mine could not handle that much prop. In addition, it took me a loooonnnnnnggg time to learn how to deal with the air bleed carb.
Now I have different problems after 8 seasons, see "OS 48 rehab" thread on this forum.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:51 PM
quarterhrses
Banned

Default Thank you so much

Just in case anyone who posted here came back i wanted to say thank you for all the advice. You guys are the best Your not going to believe this (ok you might) All i did was put a OS F type glow plug in it like Jaka, Mr. Wildcat and Jim D. said to and it is runnung like a new engine. It has never run this good before, what a difference. I have almost always run enya 3 plugs but have been converted. Anyone who is running four strokes, Get the OS F glow plug. It makes a difference. The only down fall is that here in Kansas they run 10.49$ a peice. WOW, the price for a good running engine is steep

Again thank you everyone.......

Happy landings
Dan