haefeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My phone makes up words. I meant hardner
Old 01-24-2015, 02:56 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haefeli
My phone makes up words. I meant hardner
Did your phone do it again? Did you mean hardener? My keyboard does the same; my grandfather said his Oliver typewriter misspelled his words. Next we can blame it on our brain waves when we use thought controlled writing devices.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-24-2015, 05:52 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Did your phone do it again? Did you mean hardener? My keyboard does the same; my grandfather said his Oliver typewriter misspelled his words. Next we can blame it on our brain waves when we use thought controlled writing devices.

Sincerely, Richard
No
I think I would have to blame my thoughts. They jumbo things a bunch

Ken
Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 PM
FNQFLYER

Ok for old fart, we usually operate the Saito 15x8 at around 5,000rpm give or take a bit for Texaco. For revs I would expect the 65 with a 15x8 with 20% to go out to about 8,000rpm with a MAS prop and I know with 30% and a Bolly carbon 12x6 it will turn 10,000 rpm easy and on the day sometimes even more.

Now MEK, that stuff is banned in OZ but we have MEKP which doesn't have all the "nasties" and of course doesn't work as well. On paint thing use a fuel proofer with your paint or Estapol or similar after wards. works a treat.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 AM
Rudolph Hart

The only paint that will handle 30% nitro is automotive enamel single stage with urethane hardner added. Even in smallest quantity to buy the paint. Reducer and Gardner about 60 bucks. Strip the rest of the paint with mek available from the hardware store. It is base solvent for most paints. Do not let it absorb into your skin. Don't smoke either. Its bad news. Its sold almost anywhere. Methylethelketone
You can add about 5% poly hardner to any single pack enamel,it lifts the chemical proprties of the cheap enamel base huge.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:47 AM
haefeli

Mekp is methlethketone peroxide shock is polyester resin hardener or what most guys call fiberglass resin. It will not remove baked on paint. Many fuel proofers will lift regular spray bomb paint so you are aware. Put zip strip on it and then wire wheel it. A bare cylinder expells heat better anyway. If you paint it on the cheap try bbq paint and this hardens with heating cycles. Just don't get fuel on it before you run engine.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:49 AM
haefeli

Replace the word shock . it is to be "with". Smart phones, not fun to type on.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by DBD1
blw, they are more of a pain to set up. The problem with the mount that came with the kit is that the area that mounts to the firewall is 5/8" thick with the molded in nose gear bearings, making the engine sit too far forward.
Perhaps I can cut off the bearings and gain enough room to make it work. Glad you brought that up.

Just eliminate the back portion & mount the 2 engine mount beams separately. There are engine mounts designed that way from the start. I was able to shoehorn an FA 91S into a 1/5 scale J-3 Cub by doing using the same tyoe mount sans the backplate. Just make sure that the firewall is stout enough.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:42 AM
spaceworm

Mekp is methlethketone peroxide shock is polyester resin hardener or what most guys call fiberglass resin. ...
MEK is a solvent as we all know. MEKP is methylethylketone peroxide that is a catalyst for polyester resins, and NOT a solvent as I understand it. It is however, extremely hazardous and can BLIND you instantly if it gets in your eyes. I suggest NOT using MEKP, for anything except as a catalyst, And then very carefully.

Best regards, Richard
Old 01-25-2015, 05:48 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those interested in using MEKP. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) my advise is DON'T!!!!!!!

It was supplied as the hardener liquid for polyester resins and only took a drop or two incorrect ratio to seriously affect curing times. Also, that curing was exothermic. Add too much and it could become, as Catherine Zeta Jones says, "Very Vigorous".

In aviation college we were doing vacuum bagging and before getting into it had the WHMIS course. Pretty nasty stuff.

First off, if ANY gets in your eyes and is not washed off immediately, and I mean RIGHT NOW, (if memory serves, we were told a max of 10 seconds) you would suffer loss of sight. The time between exposure and cleansing was directly proportional to the span before that end result.

The second and more insidious is exposure to Ketone. This can be absorbed and will never clear out. Again going for memory, but as with lots of other allergens or toxins, once you hit a threshold you can suddenly suffer severe side effects and likely show symptoms even when exposed to other compounds or chemicals.

Back to mounting; I often use the separate composite beam mounts as they offer a greater range of engine choices. I have had some interference issues with the HS needle and aftermarket muffler, but as long as the mount is not structurally compromised, material can be removed to give you clearance.

Most common problem is when working on an ARF or previous build where there are holes predrilled in the firewall. I fill them with epoxy/FLOX then start from scratch.

Last edited by Cougar429; 01-25-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 AM
haefeli

That's why I said it won't clean off his paint. Maybe even citrus paint remover which is water soluble and let it soak overnight. Its not as strong as industrial stripper for cars. I been using mekp forever glassing stuff. Never thought twice about using it for anything except glass work.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:56 AM
haefeli

Men absorbs thru the skin and heads directly to the liver and kidneys. I used it daily for 2 years cleaning and rebuilding positive displacement pumps for assembly line robot paint guns for chevy. Believe me I know its hazards. In Michigan you can buy it in the paint department at miejers and Walmart stores in quart sizes. Right next to paint thinner and mineral spirits.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 AM
BJ64

...we can blame it on our brain waves when we use thought controlled writing device...
That's why I always wear an Armadillo hat

BJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheev.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2067582  
Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 AM
Cougar429

One we used in aviation to remove old paint was Toluene, Even nastier than MEKP and killed brain cells on contact.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 AM
Cougar429

haefeli, it seems over your side of the border it is much easier to buy things that can kill you over the counter.

I have a big problem now just getting paint to stay on, rather than come off. Nothing available will stand up to nitro fuel.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Cougar429
...Most common problem is when working on an ARF or previous build where there are holes predrilled in the firewall. I fill them with epoxy/FLOX then start from scratch.
I drill the existing holes oversize to the next wooden dowel size and then epoxy the dowel into the hole. I then use washers on the back side of the firewall that extend beyond the perimeter of the new dowel so it can't pull through. If using blind nuts on the back side, I make sure the prongs press into wood and not epoxy. I think this gives you a more uniform mounting surface to drill into. Just my approach, others may vary.
Sincerely, Richard
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by BJ64
That's why I always wear an Armadillo hat

BJ
In areas that don't have Armadillos, a simple hat made of aluminum foil (PREFERABLY RECYCLED) will keep all brain activity to a minimum. Of course, some people I know, not RC flyers of course, don't need anything to limit their brain activity, they don't have any.
BTW. I would love an Armadillo hat. Are they available UP OVER? Or are they importable? Or do you have a kit, short kit, plans, or instructions for making one? Or an ARF? Do you start with a live Armadillo, or road kill? Or is you hat a LIVE Armadillo? I am serious, (sometimes), Sincerely, Richard

)
Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 AM
hsukaria

In areas that don't have Armadillos, a simple hat made of aluminum foil (PREFERABLY RECYCLED) will keep all brain activity to a minimum. Of course, some people I know, not RC flyers of course, don't need anything to limit their brain activity, they don't have any.
BTW. I would love an Armadillo hat. Are they available UP OVER? Or are they importable? Or do you have a kit, short kit, plans, or instructions for making one? Or an ARF? Do you start with a live Armadillo, or road kill? Or is you hat a LIVE Armadillo? I am serious, (sometimes), Sincerely, Richard

)
Just go to Texas and pick one off the highway.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Cougar429

Back to mounting; I often use the separate composite beam mounts as they offer a greater range of engine choices. I have had some interference issues with the HS needle and aftermarket muffler, but as long as the mount is not structurally compromised, material can be removed to give you clearance.

Most common problem is when working on an ARF or previous build where there are holes predrilled in the firewall. I fill them with epoxy/FLOX then start from scratch.
The 3 piece mount that came W/the Worlds Models Cub still lined up perfectly W/the OEM firewall "T" nuts when the backplate was eliminated..
Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

)

Worm, if you would like a Armadillo just let me know. I go hunting in Texas at family ranch many times a year and the things are everywhere. I can get you a road kill or fresh kill. Fresh will cost you a little extra......

I don't offer any kits so you will have to get the drawings online.

Keith
Old 01-25-2015, 03:41 PM
FNQFLYER

I caused a real stir with the MEK and MEKP thing. Back in the day both were ok until we learnt what we know today. I used both these products to thin out araldite adhesive and the various PR (Proseal) sealing products so I could paint them into the area to be treated. Both were used to strip paint but none as good as good old fullers paint stripper that "stripped" everything in is path. For the record I use none of them today. For paint stripping I use glass bead blasting (at various pressures) or co2 pekket blasting to remove paint from "everything" including balsa (glass pellets at low air pressure) if needed. For fuel proofing structure I use "estapol" which is a covering painted onto wooden and cork floors. It is an epoxy of sorts and when suitably thinned (with acetone or similar) goes onto models easily and gives good coverage.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM
FNQFLYER

I have just finished doing some mowing some of my yard. What has this to do with Saito?? Well I use a product call "Start ya *******" (yes that is its name) which is an ether based starting aerosol along the lines of Aerostart which is used for diesel engines. I have discovered and will share with you the fact that a squirt of this "magic dust" up the intake of a clapped out Saito said engine with start on just a little flick and in the process scare the crap out of you. Don't believe me try it, I dare you
Old 01-25-2015, 06:21 PM
BJ64

...BTW. I would love an Armadillo hat. Are they available UP OVER? ...
First up, you'll need an Armadillo.

If the Texaheekan can get you a fresh one, all the better - they're supposed to taste delicious.

My Uncle was working in Sth America and while driving a tractor, an Armadillo came out in front of him. He could hear one of the locals screaming at him from a distance, so he gave the critter a wide berth. When he got back to base, the local who was doing all the yelling came over. He thought he was in trouble for nearly running over the beast - he was in trouble all right, but for not running it over. They're apparently a delicacy in that neck of the woods..

BJ
Old 01-25-2015, 06:27 PM
BJ64

Re the 'Start Ya B@stard' - the recommended method of using it and Aerostart etc. is to have the motor turning over before you give the carb a spray, IIRC.

If you don't, you stand a fair chance of smashing the piston crown when it fires the first time

BJ
Old 01-26-2015, 05:16 AM
Rudolph Hart

You guys know there's only so much armadillo you can spread around here,the pre flattened version is easier to get in the pan.While they still live they are round,*****ly,argumentive and downright dangerous,bit like the ex handbrake.On a serious note flew the 82 yesterday on three year old fuel,only 10%.Every time i fly it now the low speed needle gets closer.The 182 in the taylorcraft has had a new remote glow system fitted so looking forward to putting the cowl back on.

ps did i ever tell you about the flash gent who came out to a bush shooting camp with a brand new akubra hat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.