Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting carb, it has a pressure release that reduces tank pressure during a sudden throttle reduction from full to idle so there will not be excess tank pressure to cause a rich idle mixture when first reduced. I ordered two for my Webra .91's. I'll wring em out and see. They are metered carbs with an air bleed trim. MECOA has them.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:32 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

""pressure release""

interesting !!, let us know how they work,

Jim
Ducati, it's where the fun is, but I can't spell it

Last edited by the Wasp; 09-01-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:29 AM
Hobbsy

All Kavan products are high quality, it should work great. I am replacing some of my wheels with Kavan wheels. They are perfectly round, no wobble but a bit skiddish on pavement but I don't fly on pavement but once a year.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:55 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy

Interesting carb, it has a pressure release that reduces tank pressure during a sudden throttle reduction from full to idle so there will not be excess tank pressure to cause a rich idle mixture when first reduced. I ordered two for my Webra .91's. I'll wring em out and see. They are metered carbs with an air bleed trim. MECOA has them.
Dave that must be quite old with a west germany stamp on it?

Sokay jim i'll send you an aussie english manual
Old 09-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Hobbsy

And endorsed by that world famous Irishman Pat Pending.

I have two Webra .91's and only one carb, a DynaMix, which is a great carb.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:16 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saito 100 Dead Stick

Having 4 or more of these have suffered two probs not seen through the rest of the Saito fleet that runs from the 56 up to 125, (sold the 150).

A while ago I swapped out a noisy 100 in the Super 'Bolt and found the liner peeling. The replacement was running strong through at least the last couple seasons, although to be honest work and life made yesterday about the 7th session all season. Did have it up several times during a show a couple of weeks ago and it honked.

Engine came to an immediate stop on the second flight of the day and glided it into the top of the corn.Son commented he could hear some pinging, but his hearing is much better than mine. No damage, engine freewheeled and thought the rod had popped. Brought it home to find the cam had lost 3 teeth and the followers appear to be pretty hard to move. Cam stopped with the exhaust and intake open and when cylinder released a bit to close the valves good compression.

Only other time I saw this type of damage was on a friends 56 that went across my table years ago. May do the vent mod on this, moving it up under the cam.

Question is if anyone else experienced cam gear failure on these. Checking part numbers shows both cam and tappets fit 56-125 so this could potentially be the same throughout.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:30 AM
Hobbsy

Since roughly 1989 I've only had one Saito problem, it was a new 50 that had soft compression. While checking it out I heard an almost inaudible hiss in the intake port. In looking into the cylinder there was a tiny flaw just outside the intake valve seat, it apparently was a tiny passage around the valve seat and into the intake port. I mailed it to Horizon on Thursday and it cam back Tuesday with a new cylinder. The fastest turn around ever for me. I've never had a valve train problem though.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Dave that must be quite old with a west germany stamp on it?

Sokay jim i'll send you an aussie english manual
Pete, they have a bunch of different sizes, maybe I could adapt one to my extra Saito .56 and see what happens. I don't think 29 bucks is too much to have a little fun.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar429
Having 4 or more of these have suffered two probs not seen through the rest of the Saito fleet that runs from the 56 up to 125, (sold the 150).

A while ago I swapped out a noisy 100 in the Super 'Bolt and found the liner peeling. The replacement was running strong through at least the last couple seasons, although to be honest work and life made yesterday about the 7th session all season. Did have it up several times during a show a couple of weeks ago and it honked.

Engine came to an immediate stop on the second flight of the day and glided it into the top of the corn.Son commented he could hear some pinging, but his hearing is much better than mine. No damage, engine freewheeled and thought the rod had popped. Brought it home to find the cam had lost 3 teeth and the followers appear to be pretty hard to move. Cam stopped with the exhaust and intake open and when cylinder released a bit to close the valves good compression.

Only other time I saw this type of damage was on a friends 56 that went across my table years ago. May do the vent mod on this, moving it up under the cam.

Question is if anyone else experienced cam gear failure on these. Checking part numbers shows both cam and tappets fit 56-125 so this could potentially be the same throughout.
Cougar,

I bought my first Saito back in 1979. Since then I have serviced Saitos for three local hobby shops, members of several local clubs and of course the many that I have owned over the decades, including loads of abused used and just plain very high time engine used with just about every fuel around.

Worn cams , tappets and bearings do happen.

Well before Saito began, I had experimented with the forward vent. Not only to move fresh oil to the cam gears and bearings but also to make after run oiling far more effective.

I have had plenty of opportunity to evaluate the results and they have been good.

I do this with my own engines that I intend to keep and use as well as for personal friends or at the owners request.
The cam cover on the right side works well and is quite easy . Just make sure to keep the threaded part of the nipple inside the cover close to flush in order to avoid gear contact.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:06 PM
the Wasp

Pete, Sokay jim i'll send you an aussie english manual
will I have to read the manual upside down ? snicker snicker heehee hee

Jim
Old 09-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have been working on engines for nearly 3 1/2 decades now, including my own and friends in the area. As a Saito fan collected quite the fleet and converting almost the last of the 2-stroke fleet over, (Seamaster 40 now sports a 56).

Only other problem encountered was a peeling jug on another of my 100's. Cannot account for that one either, but the cam is otherwise in good shape with no excessive wear. Believe stuck tappets the cause, but until they come out cannot see why.

I have done the lube fitting mod before since I have quite a few small examples and think once the season is over will do the 100 now in the plane as well as any others have access to.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Jesse Open

Since we only live across the river from one another, we may meet sometime. I will bring along some examples of worn Saito tappets and cams. I have tossed most of them but a few still remain. Some show .012" to .014" wear and concavity at the cam nose and rolled burrs at the tappet face.
Saito does sell quite a few as replacement parts,obviously they do wear.
Of course the bearings can benefit from the mod as well.

Not saying a must do but I am always glad I did.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:30 PM
the Wasp

did you guys see this ??

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ry-List-9-2-18

Jim Bob
some times

Last edited by the Wasp; 09-02-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:59 AM
Rudolph Hart

Pete, they have a bunch of different sizes, maybe I could adapt one to my extra Saito .56 and see what happens. I don't think 29 bucks is too much to have a little fun.
Yeh it's all good fun.

Gary thanks for the well written comments it was easy to follow what you were saying,bit of humour too.

Jim that aussie english manual is easy to read.Think back to 70's trials bike manuals for say bultaco or gas gas,the spanish to english translator must have been off his rocker on who knows what,did'nt always add up.Here's my theory about what may have gone wrong when the spanish to english translator landed in spain to write the gas gas manual at the factory.They whisked him straight off the plane and in to the nearest pub for a bottle of tequila.First you use a skinny bamboo stick with a jag on it to fish the worm out of the bottom of the bottle,lay the worm gently on a big slice of cheese that's been lightly smeared with degummed first press castor.Sprinkle lightly with red hot green chili flakes and let it marinate while you drink the whole bottle.Eat the cheese right after that and you'll get some idea of how hard that translator was working the minute he got there
Old 09-03-2018, 05:25 PM
the Wasp

Jim that aussie english manual is easy to read.Think back to 70's trials bike manuals for say bultaco or gas gas,the spanish to english translator must have been off his rocker on who knows what,did'nt always add up.Here's my theory about what may have gone wrong when the spanish to english translator landed in spain to write the gas gas manual at the factory.They whisked him straight off the plane and in to the nearest pub for a bottle of tequila.First you use a skinny bamboo stick with a jag on it to fish the worm out of the bottom of the bottle,lay the worm gently on a big slice of cheese that's been lightly smeared with degummed first press castor.Sprinkle lightly with red hot green chili flakes and let it marinate while you drink the whole bottle.Eat the cheese right after that and you'll get some idea of how hard that translator was working the minute he got there

LOL that sure would do it, but I thought Spaniards liked Rum

Jim
Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 PM
Rudolph Hart

This is the present i was hoping for on fathers day

Dave,waiting to hear back from an old friend who still lives in the south island,did you send the new snail mail by registered post?

Jim that mustang surely deserves an fa115 or 125 so here's a challenge.We'll both make up a list of pro's and con's,see who wins in a friendly argument
Old 09-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Hobbsy

This is the present i was hoping for on fathers day

Dave,waiting to hear back from an old friend who still lives in the south island,did you send the new snail mail by registered post?

Jim that mustang surely deserves an fa115 or 125 so here's a challenge.We'll both make up a list of pro's and con's,see who wins in a friendly argument
Thanks Pete no sir, I haven't sent it yet. I've been powerful busy doing home front stuff. I was kinda waiting to hear from you, Thanks again, Dave
Old 09-05-2018, 11:07 AM
the Wasp

the 115 would be a very good engine for this Mustang, but I rather much wright a 200 page booklet on why I hate Worlds Models LOL,, their covering is pure garbage, pure garbage, it's pure garbage, if you ever buy a Worlds Models make good and sure it comes with NO covering, what junk !! I don't see myself ever buying another plane from them,

I have to bend 3 linkage rods, and the manual tells to drill out the servo arm holes to fit the rod, but I refuse to do that because that will weaken the holes in the arms, it's the same thing for their plastic clevises> you got to drill out the holes in the servo arms to fit them,,, I will make my own linkage, I have a lot of linkage left over from my Heli days.

BTW, did I say that the covering is garbage, what a waste

Jim
Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

Jim if you don't stop whingeing soon you'll make our saltwater crocs look friendly every committed saito pilot knows that you never have heli parts anywhere near your workbench,it's bad juju.And 3d heli pilots are a twisted bunch,wreaks havoc on a good flying day.I used to fantasize about taking a paintball gun down and having some fun,some teenagers with a spud gun did bombard the strip one day tho.I thought a wheel had dropped off a model that flew by but no,it was a large unpeeled spud,bloody good shot.

Who thinks jim should stop dithering and stick a fa125 in his midget mustang?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 AM
Hobbsy

Good morning Pete et al, Mr. Russell sent me a really nice catalogue, about 25 pages of plans like this:
Old 09-06-2018, 04:16 AM
Jesse Open

Jim if you don't stop whingeing soon you'll make our saltwater crocs look friendly every committed saito pilot knows that you never have heli parts anywhere near your workbench ,it's bad juju .And 3d heli pilots are a twisted bunch ,wreaks havoc on a good flying day .I used to fantasize about taking a paintball gun down and having some fun ,some teenagers with a spud gun did bombard the strip one day tho .I thought a wheel had dropped off a model that flew by but no ,it was a large unpeeled spud ,bloody good shot.

Who thinks jim should stop dithering and stick a fa125 in his midget mustang?

Yeah ,why waste a perfectly good FA-115 when a low-life FA-125 will almost work as well?

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-06-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

Gary one of these days i'm going to get saito (the dog) to dig up that still hot when he buried it saito fa125 out of the back yard.I don't think he was too keen on the grey boiled plastic graupner 16x6 prop that it was running but,he might have seen the tacho figures over my shoulder too.

Good morning Pete et al, Mr. Russell sent me a really nice catalogue, about 25 pages of plans like this:
Good news dave,so that means less than a hundred bucks USD for the plans plus postage? i see it has a working hopper (sixth servo?) and would you consider scraping up some dried seagull poo and dropping it on your flying mates at the field?

Jim it's all in fun...but if you stick a smelly weedwacker two stroke in that good looking mustang that's all they are in my opinion,good looking.They sound awful in a nice looking plane,spoils watching it fly mate.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:40 AM
Hobbsy

I still can't get paying him to work. Thanks

Last edited by Hobbsy; 09-08-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:42 PM
the Wasp

Jim it's all in fun...but if you stick a smelly weedwacker two stroke in that good looking mustang that's all they are in my opinion,good looking.They sound awful in a nice looking plane,spoils watching it fly mate.

Pete, the Mustang is a thoroughbred threw and threw, it's even fast out of the corners, so it don't need no stump puller, it needs a Screaming Smelly Mimi that will yell as she passes "don't worry !! Grandma will still love you for trying !!"

Jim
I said it before, and I will say it again

Last edited by the Wasp; 09-08-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:46 AM
Rudolph Hart

I still can't get paying him to work. Thanks
Dave i think it's time to revert to the old technology face to face.Make sure you fold the USD's square with nice sharp edges and shove them separately up his clacker.Here's a pic of one of the new breed of harleys,it appears the young yuppies who are harleys future market are dragging them in to the world of 'adventure' bikes too.Harley are releasing a big bore version sim to bmw r1250 etc with road going semi knobbie tyres and they all have one thing in common,very heavy you struggle to pick one up on your own and you would be picking it up a lot,unless you stick to the tar or smooth graveled roads.

ps don't forget to get the wife to iron some sharp creases in them notes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.