Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 AM
brockettman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Guys,

I'm finally getting around to firing up my GK100 for the first time. Will it be OK to break the engine in using the TurboHeader muffler?

Every club needs a logo! I'm partial to the cartoon/caricature style. Anything will be cool....

Thanks!
Ben
Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It will be perfectly OK to break in you GK 100 with the Turbo Header muffler
Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

One thing I did and this may just be me being picky but I broke my .82a in with the stock muffler to keep all the oil out of the pretty Tubo Header.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:10 PM
brockettman

Thanks for the input w8ye... I know what you mean michaelh! The TurboHeader sure does look sharp!

Ben

Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
BAlbertsman

Question for the experts on this thread.

Saito 100 rebuilt new valves, head, bearings piston and ring.

The engine seems to be running fine, idles good and transitions to full throttle good also. I only get about 8900 - 9100 rpms out of it at full throttle. The problem is its spraying fuel out of the carb like crazy, I mean a ton when the throttle is advanced all the way. High spead needle valve is about 2 turns out from closed, and the low is about two full turns in from flush with the throttle arm. Do you think I am still to rich on the low end? The fuel does not spray out or not as much when its idleing just a full throttle. Is there seals or something I need to take the carb apart to check?

Help please.

Bernie
Old 03-29-2008, 04:06 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They say that's some of the benefits of using the velocity stack and the air filters.....it does not allow all that fuel to fly about.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:09 PM
BAlbertsman

I have a velocity stack and I did seal it with an O ring. I almost think that some of fuel is coming out of the High speed needle. i guess I am goin to have to take it apart.
Not sure what I am getting into with this though.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:17 PM
mike early

wait a bit and let some of the experts chime in, before you dismantle it
Old 03-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Michaelh

also state the prop size you are using, brand etc.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
the pope

This is just a guess but if the timing is off could this be the cause ? Cheers the pope I didn't read about the needle leaking fuel, I would fix that first.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:09 PM
w8ye

If the intake valve is too tight or sticking could cause this problem
Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those would be my two guesses... first, check the valve gaps (I had that one loosen up on me after I rebuilt my old .56) and then double-check that the gear timing is correct, that the two dots match up on the crank and cam.

Bob
Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
mike early

Do you have other saitos that expel far less fuel? Mine splashed quite a bit around on the bench. Of course it was running rich and no stack at that time.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:58 PM
awolfe9
My Feedback: (7)

I NEED A BOX!

I need to get a box for a Saito FA-80! I bought a brand new motor from a guy that was getting out of the hobby. It was a bran new motor, but the guy couldn't find the original box. I'm real anal about having stuff like that for my motors. I currently have 2 planes powered with Saito motors and i'm trying to get the rest switched over to Saito as well. If you have one laying around the shop please shoot me over a P.M. or check out my wanted ad.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
verfur

add me in I have a antique (old and lots of miles) 180 and a new 220
Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Capt Lou

Bernie:

I had this problem with a new Saito 100. They are known to do this so I put a velocity stack on it and it stopped. I still needed to adjust the carb for the corect fuel injection. If you put a stack on, make sure you put an o-ring betwen the stack and carb body as there will be a small open space there that needs to be sealed.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Capt Lou

I have a white Saito box for a .65 that I don't need. It has all the original white foam storage/packing and is clean.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM
linkadrip

ORIGINAL: P47 Jug - Al

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Al, I like to set the Saitos to idle well at an rpm slower than what I'm actually going to use in flight. At the slower idle its easier to tell if the mixture is set correctly, using 2,200 rpm as an example, they'll idle on a pretty poor setting at the higher idle rpm. At 1,800 or below they'll let you know instantly if the mixture is not good, by quitting or shaking, when the mixture is "dead on" they will idle smoothly no matter how slow you can get it to idle. This is a picture of my second Saito .62, both will idle forever below 2,000 rpm.
Hobbsy, thanks for the reply. Then when you adjust the low end, are you cutting throttle back and adjust low end for best idle.... cut back throttle some more and adjust low end again for best idle? Something like that?

What I was doing was:
1) turn in the low end
2) adjust throttle for the slowest RPM
3) Throttle up and if I had a good transition, I went back to step one.
When the engine quit upon power up, I richened a little and stopped when had a good transition. That's when I discovered what I posted originally.
ORIGINAL: Al
Tuning question. Saito 82, 13 x 8 APC, tuned per manual, idles at 2300 RPM, good transition to full power, 9600 RPM. If I let it run at full throttle for 10 / 15 seconds, throttle back and hold at idle, the RPM immediately drops to around 4000 and holds there for about 15 seconds, then the RPM drops back to 2300. I slightly richened the low end and now the idle comes down right away to 2300. When the low end is a bit too lean, why did the engine behave as it did?
Well i ran my .62a today in my pitts and it just not performing very good for Some reason i cant get it to idel below 2000 Rpm. MAx rpm is 8500 with a 13X5 prop Just doesnt seem right. I adjusted for max rpm and the most i could get was 8500. then backed it off 200 rpm. Lower throttle to 2000 and it runs pretty rough Turned low speed need in till it smoothed out then tried to go lower with RPM and it just dies. i was trying to get down to 1300 rpm. Wondering what the lowest throttle setting is for a Saito .62A to sucessfully run..

But i'm just gonna wait till i get my turbomuffler for it before i try again. Kinda frustrating when it dies i have to prime it again to get it to start buy plugging the muffler. My other saito doesnt act this way. this one is mounted upside down inverted. but i wouldnt think it would make that much difference..
Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
w8ye

If yu want your 62 to idle lowest, use a heavy prop. They never idle good with props like a Top Flite wood.

I think the Groupner is pretty heavy.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
linkadrip

I have a MAS MAster air screw prop on it. Its plastic So i guess that is why it wont idel very low i'm sure the prop is very light. I'm wondering if a heavier Prop is going to make the Top rpm higher. According to the saito web site on this engine FA-62A AAC is should Turn an APC 13 x 6 prop at 9900 rpm. My peak rpm with the MAS is only around 8600 RPM.. Hmmm Going to have to look for a Different prop. Graupner Sounds like a good idea..
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
linkadrip

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Link, You're in luck, I had the opportunity to wring out the proto-type of the TurboHeader for the Saito .62 today, it's the new style which is better looking and more compact. It's well packaged in a bubble pack envelope, the TurboHeader body and pressure tap have their own little plastic envelope, the pressure tap is not assembled to avoid poking holes in the packaging.

Engine=Saito .62a plain/velocity stack
Prop=Graupner 12x7
Fuel=WildCat 10%/18%-80/20 lube.
Plug=GloDevil 4C Special from Fuelman
RPM with stock cast muffler==10,030
RPM with TurboHeader=====10,288

I could not take tach pictures, the camera simply wouldn't work in the 22 degree temp and I didn't work too well either. I will test it on the Saito .50 and .56 as soon as I can. As soon as I can I'm going to pick up a couple more of them for my Saito TS .90 twin.
Well Hey what do you know if found the Post i was looking for.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Michaelh

Yep from the suggested prop sizes and coming to know the Saito's those RPM's look about right.

Ive done quite a bit of prop testing (well all I could afford) , and it comes out to the same verdict.

Want to run at the top of the prop list you have to do something else ,which I can not preach anymore for fear

of getting stones thrown at me [:-]

Will work good though if your flying a pattern around the field though. If you need a good resolution on your throttle for aerobatics or 3d

Then prop down.There is only one other thing to do besides that to keep the same prop. Well two one is a Turbo Header.

I could be wrong though. But thats my backyard study conclusion. Take it for what its worth

If that engine is turning a 13x6 @ 9900 Im selling my .82 and getting one, youll best my 14x6 rpm if you switched to it.

Proceed to telling me Im wrong guys
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Michaelh

Uhhh Helloooo If Im wrong ,Im wrong teach me the way. Im here to learn and have discussion ..
Old 03-31-2008, 08:11 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: linkadrip

Well i ran my .62a today in my pitts and it just not performing very good for Some reason i cant get it to idel below 2000 Rpm. MAx rpm is 8500 with a 13X5 prop Just doesnt seem right. I adjusted for max rpm and the most i could get was 8500. then backed it off 200 rpm. Lower throttle to 2000 and it runs pretty rough Turned low speed need in till it smoothed out then tried to go lower with RPM and it just dies. i was trying to get down to 1300 rpm. Wondering what the lowest throttle setting is for a Saito .62A to sucessfully run..
If this is a new engine, you can expect to set your idle around 2200 RPM for now if it will hold that reliably. While a new engine will run fine after about an hour of time on it, it is still finishing breaking in. Some of the things that you can look for during this period is even better fuel consumption, smoother running, and more stable needle valve adjustments as time builds up on the engine.

Using the low speed needle valve to get a low idle will probably cause problems unless this is all you want to do with the engine. A low idle will come later if the engine has under a gallon of fuel through it now. Even then, 1300 RPM is a very low idle to be looking for. I have a .72 that flew well with an idle of something like 1800 RPM, or lower (I can't remember), but it did quit on me on approach one day. I must have been flying it that low for a while without realizing it.

W8YE has a .56 that is the lowest idling 4 stroke that I've seen. He wouldn't tell me what it was turning, but you could barely hear it. Unless it was an unusually quiet engine, I would guess that one was turning somewhere under 1900 RPM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM
linkadrip

Yes after some more reading on the engine i agree 1300 is just crazy would probably be a record or something for the lowest idle on a saito. Yes it's a new engine and has had maybe a half gallon of fuel run through it. I should be happy it idels real good at 2200 Rpm. My throttle setting aren't right i was trying to get it to idel to low and have to re adjust my linkage with the throttle stick all the way down and the trim all the way up it will barly idel and drops to 1500 rpm and will run real rough for about a minute then put put put And die.

I always seem to have a hard time getting my linkage right on the throttle for some reason. My saito .72 GK idles at 1800 any lower and it will die. But i'm realizing that i dont need a real low idel for landing. The pitts is probably better off having a higher idel to land So there wont be any tip Stalling.

So i'm going to have to Adjust the throttle linkage so my lowest idel is 2200 RPM.. And the trim is centered at least that way i can stop the engine with the trim and with the trim all the way up it should be around 2500 rpm hoping. Other then that the engine runs real good, transition from low to high with no problems. But i'm going to wait till my Turboheader gets here then will Recheck it all and change my linkage. Then i Should be able to maiden my pitts with now worries..

Thanks for your input blw appriciate it..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.