Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
stallwart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Kmot,

No, I didn''t make the engine mount. It is made by J-Tec, and it''s darn expensive, so I had to scrimp on the rest of the stand.

Your stand seems to have a nice oiled finish, though.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not an oiled finish, well at least not on purpose.

Maybe some residual glow fuel oil from many years prior. That stand was actually photographed shortly after it had rained, so it is wet wood. I took the picture right before I waved my magic wand over it and turned it into this:

Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 PM
alfredbmor

Isn’t magic a wonderful thing?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 PM
s10junky83

HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!!! My saito 100 is spinning a 15x6 APC at 9000 RPM but my high speed is only 1 1/4 turns out. Will that hurt? The peak was 9250 on 30% so i richened it to 9000. Is this going to hurt the motor? oil is 24% full synthetic!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

So what seems to be the problem
Old 04-17-2008, 11:25 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems pretty normal to me
Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 AM
linkadrip

Just wanted to Say my Saito .72 is running great since i richened her up a littel it will fly straight up with no problems and do what ever i want it to. The trainer is fun once again actually its the best it has ever been. Added a little more throws to the Aeilerons and rudder and elevator and can do all kinds of cool stuff with it. And with the turbo muffler it sounds like a real plane amazing. My bud was telling me he Couldnt tell the difference. I flew it so much the other day that it was just covered in Goo lol Seems like the Gooyer it got the better it flew.[sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

So now i'm itchen to fly my Other saito and get that Pitts all gooy too. lol Think i will go easy on it its a new engine. But once there dialed in right there awesome little engines.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Speaking of the TurboHeader, I ordered one of the new style 14mm THS and ran it on Saito 1.50 with the RC Specialties 90 degree adapter. I ran the 1.50 on WildCat Premium Extra 15%/18%/80/20 lube. The TH for the 1.50 is the same as for the 1.80 except it has a baffle in it. As mentioned above they have a deep, cool sound and enhance performance on most Saitos by 220 to 300 rpm. Jim, you've got another winner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15475.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	931819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65929.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	931820  
Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Michaelh

Ok so Im really trying too fine tune the LS in on the 82 , Im thinking Im getting too lean somehow.

Ill tune it in like normal, Cut the engine off put the cowl back on then its running like poo . Will not run without the glow driver and getting
up to half throttle is tricky due to the engine bogging down.

I wonder maybe something may be not so right on the carb. Maybe air leak or something? Why would it immediatly start doing this just from setting
a couple of minutes.

BTW Im getting my 82 up to 10,700 and still climbing on a 14x4w . Very nice prop for this engine! I didnt realize Id pick up this much RPM from it.
Its a 1700 rpm difference !
Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 PM
colmor

In the past month have added a new 1.25 and a used 1.25. Keep movin' on up!
Member 550
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM
otrcman

First post on this thread for me. Wow, 418 pages to this thread !

I recently fell heir to a Saito 50. It looks pretty good overall except that someone has done a modification on the rear case which appears to have been aimed at installing a different carburetor. I don't have a stock 50 to look at, so I'm not sure whether the present carb is the original. It sure doesn't look like my 45 Mk II. Questions:

1. Does Horizon still provide parts support for the 50 ? It looks like I will need to buy (at a minimum) a new back plate, a new intake pipe, a prop washer and nut, and possibly a carburetor.

2. Do I need to identify the specific model of 50, or are they all the same ? If there are differences, how do I identify the one I have ?

3. Does anybody out there have a crashed 50 available that has the parts I need ?

Thanks in advance,

Dick
Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 PM
swixtt

ORIGINAL: Michaelh

Ok so Im really trying too fine tune the LS in on the 82 , Im thinking Im getting too lean somehow.

Ill tune it in like normal, Cut the engine off put the cowl back on then its running like poo . Will not run without the glow driver and getting

I wonder maybe something may be not so right on the carb. Maybe air leak or something? Why would it immediatly start doing this just from setting
a couple of minutes.

BTW Im getting my 82 up to 10,700 and still climbing on a 14x4w . Very nice prop for this engine! I didnt realize Id pick up this much RPM from it.
is this inverted? can you get the HSN tuned properly?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:06 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello OTRCMAN,

I just checked the Horizon Hobby website and can't find a carb listed for the 50, but I may have overlooked it. It looks like it would be part no SAI50821B. If you don't have a manual for the engine, I have a PDF file of one that you can use. I tried to upload it, but I got a warning that .pdf files are not supported. If this is of any use to you, send me a PM with your home email address. It's a little over one MB.

As for parts, I would contact Horizon and ask. They helped me rebuild a vintage 120, though I had to use parts from a newer model 120 (crankcase, etc.). They were good about it.

As for the model, others can probably tell you better, but look on the edge of the mounting lug. There might be a letter engraved there which could tell the model.

I know that this isn't much help, but thought I'd toss it out for you.

Bob
Old 04-20-2008, 07:10 AM
N1EDM

I may have been wrong...

I just checked a 2004 Saito manual, and it lists the carb as part no 50821C, which is the same as the one used on the 56. Check out the link at http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI50821C . That shows a good shot of the carb.

Bob
Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM
otrcman

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your replies to my FA-50 questions. The carb that's currently on my 50 doesn't look like the one on the Horizon Hobbies link that you gave me, which gives further evidence that the prior owner was trying to "upgrade" the engine. I'll send you a PM with my email address and would very much appreciate having a manual for the FA-50.

Thanks,

Dick
Old 04-20-2008, 01:24 PM
speed lover

I just bought my first saito a 56fa it has been run for 1 tank and never taken over 4000rpm. It was run on Irvine sport 5 but I think I will go to supaglow 10% nitro I have to say the quality of the casting and all round engineering is far superior to anything I’ve seen that’s made of metal. Is it true that keeping the castor content below 5% is recommended also do you you need to run a gallon of fuel with a rich mixture until these things bed in also could anyone advise me on the next 5 or 6 tanks of running to make sure it is bed in right to start with.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Michaelh

ORIGINAL: swixtt

ORIGINAL: Michaelh

a couple of minutes.

is this inverted? can you get the HSN tuned properly?
Yes inverted, OSf and SS plugs . Coolpower 30% and a Tubo Header. Peaks out fine and I can adjust the low end in fine.
I think its letting me lean the LS out to much when its running? or just me not tuning in the 30% correctly?
The plane flew beutiful on its first flight. Took it out a couple days later and seemed a valve was sticking. Ran it some more and that cleared up.
The thing is the symptons are the same as the valve stick only this time the compresion is coming on strong when slowly turning the prop over by hand.

It deadsticked and Im fixing the LG on the plane now. Ill just go back over the engine. RTV the intake ,set my valves back out at .004 from .0020
Old 04-20-2008, 02:38 PM
otrcman

Here are a couple of pictures of my FA-50 with what appears to be a bogus carburetor. I looked at all the Saito carbs on the Horizon parts web site and didn't see anything that looks like this particular carb. Maybe it's from an earlier engine?

Picture 1: The carb

Picture 2: The modified carb mount. Note that it is welded to the back plate, rather than cast in place as on a stock Saito

Any thoughts ?

Dick

Name:	Fd92338.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	933347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79978.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	933348  
Old 04-20-2008, 05:23 PM
w8ye

It is a Saito carb.

It appears to be missing the fuel inlet fitting and the needle valve is a little different.

I have an earlier version 50 with a carb like that but the needle valve looks like the picture on the hoizon site.

I think your back plate was broken? Mine looks just like yours except for the weld. There are two back plates available for this engine. With/without the crankcase vent.

The first 50 engines had a air bleed carb I think but I've never seen one. Yours is the very first model made and it is possible that someone changed it? Some early Saitos had a single screw mount that the screw went in side ways.

You can buy a new intake tube also for I do not see yours.

The carbs for the current 50, 56, & 62 are all the same.

Here is a picture of some Saito 45 engines. The third one is the current style mount but not the latest carb, one is the early mount With a carb earlier than yours and one has a home made repair of an early mount.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
otrcman

OK, thanks w8ye.

Your picture and words clear up the mystery a bit. Maybe my engine just had a broken carb mount and the guy tried to weld it rather than buying a new back plate. So all I need to do is buy a new backplate, intake tube, and fuel inlet nipple? I wonder if Horizon stocks parts that are compatible with this engine? I'll call them tomorrow.

I have a 45 just like the center one in your photo except no muffler. Terrific engine and has run an amazing long time. I estimate that it has 400 hours on it, all in the same airplane !

One other thing that puzzled me: The exhaust pipe on my 50 doesn't have a take-off for fuel tank pressure like my FA-45 MkII does. If that because I'm supposed to have a muffler and the pressure take-off is on the muffler?

Dick

Dick
Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
w8ye

Most of the exterior parts for the 56 and 62 engines will work on your 50.

The last 50 size engines made had the crankcase vent up front so the rear cover was not drilled a tapped for a vent.

The mufflers for the 56 and 62 will fit your 50

Also the pipes from the Saito twins 60T, 90TS, 100T, and 100Ti will work on your 50. Select one with a pressure tap. I can give you specific numbers if needed.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:10 PM
w8ye

Here is the replacement rear cover for your engine
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI5017B

Here is the intake manifold
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SAI5069

Here are the O rings for the intake
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI5691B

Saito pipe with no muffler but with pressure nipple
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=SAI100TI74

Fuel inlet nipple
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI30S147

Current new complete carb for your engine
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI50821C

A copy of the manual
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...der_Manual.pdf
Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 PM
N1EDM

Hello Otrcman,

By coincidence, I was helping out at my Club's auction today. One of the engines was a NIB Saito .50. I checked the carb and, yup, it's just like my Saito .56. Here is a picture of my .56. You'll notice that there is a 'bell mouth' at the bottom/intake of the carb. It's called a Velocity Stack. It's an option that doesn't come with the carb, but it does help to keep the intake from 'spitting' raw fuel and making a mess inside the cowl. That bell-mouth comes standard with the GK version, or you can buy it at Horizon Hobby. It's Saito part number is 50GK93. Horizon Hobbies refers to it as SAI50GK93. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI50GK93

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Saito engines in general, but you can mount the carb so that the needle valve can go to either the left or the right, your option. Hope that this helps.

I'm looking forward to your email so that I can get that manual to you. From what I can see, the .50 and the .56 share a bunch of common parts, so a lot of them should be available to you. I've also noticed that the backplates are the same for the .50 and .56.

W8YE, it looks like our messages crossed in the ether.

Bob

Name:	Tr51022.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	933486  
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the new club members.

otrcman 593

speed lover 594
Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 PM
otrcman

Thanks for all the good help with my FA-50 questions, guys.

I have gone to the Horizon links provided by w8ye and all the prices look very reasonable. So that's all OK. Now I just need to verify that the basic engine warrants the new parts. I have taken off the valve covers and back plate. No corrosion or even much fuel residue. I've applied a liberal dose of Marvel Mystery oil all around before turning the engine. Now it turns over with a satisfying pop and the bearings feel good. My only concern is that when I turn it through compression slowly I think I can hear some leakage. Can't tell for sure whether it's intake or exhaust, but it is most noticeable with the valve covers removed.

My current thinking is to temporarily rob the back plate, carb, and induction tube off my FA-45 and put them on the 50 so it can be run. Then evaluate compression and leakage again. Any comments?

Any thoughts on using the straight exhaust pipe versus the muffler? My 45 has just the straight pipe and the noise level is not at all objectionable. Any effect on power output or running qualities with or without the muffler?

Bob, I sent you a PM with my email address. If you didn't get the PM I guess I can add that to the long list of things I don't know how to do on a computer. Anyway, its dick(dot)fischer(at)mac(dot)com. I did download the manual for which w8ye provided a link. That manual seems to be generic for all the small Saito singles as of about 2004. Is your manual more specific to the FA-50?

Dick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.