Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

8.7 and 6.7mm inside diameter for the 82 and 62 flex pipe ends respectively.Can't see up the pipe with a torch and my glasses.Any of you whizz kids got a good micro light and a camera??
Old 11-16-2008, 12:38 PM
jkovar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys new saito owner checking in...

I am in the process of breaking in my Saito 82 for a Great planes reactor. Most of the break in was done on engine stand, now I am completing it mounted on the airframe. Wow what a great engine. Very moist at first, but now that I have just bout got it leaned out the way it should be I am blown away. I am running a 14x6 prop for break in. It is a wood prop and after reading the last few posts, I will switch it over to an APC prop.

Peak RPM is holding about 9400 RPM and 3000 on the low end. The next tank or so I will adjust the low side down some. This is my first saito, but I think I am in love..

Cheers
Old 11-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

JK, it's addictive.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
alpal

Hi Guys, I have a 5th scale FW190 with a 300 twin that is my pride and joy. I have a problem though! One cyclinder often stops firing (after idle) and it is then difficult to get it firing again, dry it out and hope it fires. I have cleaned off the valve seats(as per instructions I found in this forum) but problem persists.
It is also running very rich, yet if I go leaner on the high speed needle, revs drop. 7300 20x10 classic pop)
I found somewhere on this forum (How does one search?? I try "mid range" search in this forum and get the same 5 items nothing to do with mid range!!) an article or post, on setting low speed mid range and high speed, but just cant find anymore.
I suspect something wrong with my mid range, too rich. Also one cylinder smokes rich and the other not much at all.. single carb
so:
1 can anyone help with "how to set up mid range" post I have seen somewhere?
2 how to search this forum?
thanks guys
Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Are you using an onboard glow driver? How's your idle mixture? Sounds like you need to lean out the low end a bit.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Anyone know if the connecting rod for a Saito FA-30S will fit the older FA-30?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:23 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: 72

"I have a Saito or 3". So how do you go about finding out if you have a member number and what is would be?? My Saito's are feeling left out!!

72, you are member #614

jkovar, you are member #615
Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thank you and my engines thank you !!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM
jkovar

Thanks for adding me to the club!!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
alpal

Hi Gageebees, yes I have a glow driver on board. I see from other posts that I may have it on too long, I have it on from idle to half throttle!. My bottom end is fine, no smoke. The mid range smokes and lots of oil. I am still looking for that article on setting up a 300 exactly. All the best Alex
Old 11-17-2008, 12:33 AM
alpal

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Are you using an onboard glow driver? How's your idle mixture? Sounds like you need to lean out the low end a bit.
Hi Gageebees, yes I have a glow driver on board. I see from other posts that I may have it on too long, I have it on from idle to half throttle!. My bottom end is fine, no smoke. The mid range smokes and lots of oil. I am still looking for that article on setting up a 300 exactly. All the best Alex
Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: jkovar

Hey guys new saito owner checking in...

I am in the process of breaking in my Saito 82 for a Great planes reactor. Most of the break in was done on engine stand, now I am completing it mounted on the airframe. Wow what a great engine. Very moist at first, but now that I have just bout got it leaned out the way it should be I am blown away. I am running a 14x6 prop for break in. It is a wood prop and after reading the last few posts, I will switch it over to an APC prop.

Peak RPM is holding about 9400 RPM and 3000 on the low end. The next tank or so I will adjust the low side down some. This is my first saito, but I think I am in love..

Cheers
Good luck with your 82 jkovar,mine has good compression and turns an apc 14x6 pattern prop at 89/to 91 on the tacho.Can you give me your results and are you running a flex pipe?? cheers mate
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: alpal

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Look on page 19, post 451 that might help.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
jkovar

Old Fart...

I am running about the same as you on the tach... I can lean it out to 9700-9800, but this engine is still new.... I am running it with the stock muffler as well.... Keep in mind, mine is spinning a wood prop as well.... I will switch over to an APC shortly..
Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From Bill Robison
Adjustment/operation of the Saito FA-300TTDP engine. (sic -Dual carb-)

Preparation:

Before we talk about settings, let’s check the installation. Set properly, this engine can suck two ounces of fuel per minute, so we want a tank with the large size hoses all the way down to the clunk. And the clunk drilled out to match. This needs to feed a tee, again with a large bore. From the tee medium hose can feed the two carbs, but make the two hoses as close to the same length as your can.

A better set up is using a tank with two clunks in it, and individual feed hoses for the two carbs. Again, make the two hoses as close to the same length as you can. With two clunks medium fuel line will do fine.

The Saito pump does not pump fuel, it pumps air to pressurize the tank. Depending on the age of your engine you could have either of two systems. The early type had a diaphragm pump mounted under the left cylinder cam box, the late one has what seem to be two breather nipples on the crank case. With either system roll the engine, you will feel air blowing from only one of the nipples. That nipple should have a hose going to the next part. You should also have what looks like a remote needle valve, with one extra nipple on it. This is the pressure regulator. Two of the nipples will be directly across from each other, and the third down on the side of the part the needle screws in. The first two are one from the pump or crankcase nipple, the other to the tank vent. Doesn’t matter which is which, they interchange. the third nipple is the bleed line, you can leave it open if you have the real pump, or if you are using the crank case nipple it is also the excess oil drain from the engine, run a hose out the bottom to keep the inside clean. The hose needs to be a minimum of 4†length to give the vent the restriction needed.

My choice for the glow plugs is the OS “F†plug in the rear holes, K&B 1L plugs in front. The new “Saito†plug from Horizon seems to work as well as the “F†plug, in front almost any medium to cold plug will work.

Now the initial settings:

Now pull all four rocker covers and set the valves as close to 0.002†as you can. With the twin carb version you wont have to bother with them, except for routing check and adjustment.

Holding the engine pointed away rom you check the throttles. They should reach full throttle together, and close off on the low speed end at the same time. Diddle/bend/adjust the linkage to get them together.

Set the low speed needles to have the flat level with the face of the throttle levers, if you have metal levers leave them there. If your levers are plastic turn them in exactly one turn from even.

The most common mistake with a Saito pumper is running the pressure too high. Turn the regulator needle in to seat (gently, please) then out five full turns.

Seat the HS needles, open them three turns.

Now with your starter choke the engine, get fuel to the carbs. If you’re running two clunks you can choke them one at a time, with a single clunk you have to choke them together – the one being choked will draw air from the other.

Now hook your glow driver to the rear plugs – you don’t have to heat all four – set the throttle to 1/4th, apply the starter. It should start right off.

If the engine starts, runs momentarily and quits, open the main needles another ½ turn, reprime, restart it.

It has been my experience that a cold Saito wont start at an idle setting, ¼ throttle or a little more seems to work best. Let it run at ¼ for 30-45 seconds, it wont idle until it warms a bit.

For initial running adjustments turn both HS or both LS needles equally. Check/adjust the high speed first, then the low. As you set the low needles go back and check the high speed regularly. The LS will affect the high a lot more than the HS affects the low.

When you have high and low running nicely set the engine to approx ½ throttle, and check it there. Now is when you can adjust the pressure. If the mid range is lean, turn the regulator needle in ½ turn at a time, or if rich turn it out, until the mid range is close. Go back and adjust the low and high needles again – the pressure affects both high and low as well as the mid range.

From this point there should be no problem to get it run in, or if it has some time on it, to set it for flying.

Hope this does it for you.

Bill.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Rudolph Hart

GUYS! GUYS! i frightened..woke up this morning and found i can speak fluent japanese.I can read my engine manual and interpret it!.....i put this down to reading to many saito forums
Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
iflyg450

Hey I have 2 questions about my saito 62. I want to mount it inverted and was wondering how well it runs inverted. Also the Flex exsaust saito sells do you attach your muffler to the end if the pipe? If it doesn't have the muffler attached to the flex pipe were does the pressure come from

-Jason
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
w8ye

They run pretty much the same inverted as any other position as long as you have the tank centered at the same level as the center of the needle valve.

Flex pipes don't really need a muffler but some have threads on the end where you can attach a muffler. Some flex pipes also have a pressure attachment.

Flex pipes reduce power a couple hundred rpm from the standard muffler

Flex pipes crack very easy in sharp bends from vibration
Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
pilomeza

Thanks for your advice with the Perry Oscillating Pump for the Saito .82
It is working beautiful.

Happy Landings

Luis
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
w8ye

Anytime. Hope you have many enjoyable flights
Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
kochj

Well it looks like Saito and Horrizon just raised the prices.....

$1,999.99

for the 5cyl radial

$949.99 for the 170 3-cyl

$799.99 for the 90 3-cyl.....

Gee, I sure am glad that I waited for that one to happen!!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Robert_Ellis

I need some help with a Saito 120S. My 1st 4 stroke - came with a KMP P-51 (no manual for the engine). I got the engine running - it runs great. BUT...

I cannot get the throttle close completely - or enough to kill the engine. It's not the servo or linkage - the darn thing won't close enough. Is there some sort of throttle stop or idle stop set screw I am missing? I am used to OS 2-stroke and you just add a throttle cut and it moves the throttle closed a bit more and the engine dies.

Almost ready for the maiden - but want to be able to kill it!

Thanks in advance.

- Rob
Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM
w8ye

There's possibly something caught in the cam groove of the throttle barrel that the retaining screw travels in. Remove the throttle barrel and check the groove.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
mike early

Or maybe a vacuum leak somewhere,
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 AM
sodbuster 1

does anyone find that one glow plug helps their 1.00 run better than another?

if yes, in what way?
have been using the one that came with the engine and haven't really had much issues with the running of it other than it tends to burble slightly during transition but only in flight and only when it's been running at an idle and snapped open. When opened slowly it's fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.