Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:28 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Ok the spelling is at bit erratic.  My excuse we were drinking up (read finishing) all the old open bottles of booze.  Managed to knock of most of te liquers and Brandy and 2/3rds of the port, but still a little bit more to go.  I will though combine all the left over port and brandy and put into a small keg for future consideration. 
Old 06-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps you could seal that explosive mixture(keg)and bury it with full honours in the back yard along with a few of your most treasured old saito engines..in twelve months time you could invite us all up there for a treasure hunt
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Rudolph Hart

What say you SWINE flyer??
Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

FNQFLYER,
You can't fool me. TEXAS is everywhere.

Please give us a full report on your experiences with the Saito radial gasser.

Cheers,
RJ
Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 PM
FNQFLYER

The radial is still a twinkle in my ete and you are right Texas is every where in fact it is about 250 kilometres from where I expect to settle.
The Cricket (French Storch was built by Mourainne Saulier and was a very effective unit.  I believe an pld associate of mine Kermit Weeks ( I looked after his "Weeks Solution" when it was out her for the world aerobatic champs) has a one of each version, but I don't know if they survived Hurricane Katerina. 
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
FNQFLYER

One of my posts went missing (probably to long and off point) but not SWINE but SEQLD Flyer maybe might be new moniker.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM
richrd

Been searching but anyway quick question
FA100 mounting in 4*60 carb is on top of tank just about level with top of tank can this saito 100 suck fuel to bottom of tank. Or due I need a rebuild on mounts hope not
Thank Rich
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Find your HS needle setting with the tank half empty and set it a couple of hundred rpm rich.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM
JohnB96041

Do you have the engine upright or inverted?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
FNQFLYER

Nominal tank position is the middle of the tank in line with the high speed needle either upright or inverted.  Any higher and the engine will have a tendency to flood.  I always err on the lower position.  The variables are tank pressure (yes or know), fuel pump, and finally if you can draw fuel into the fuel line (not matter what the tank position) by flipping the prop, you have a good start point.  Poor fuel delivery due to to low a tank position can be cured with pumps etc but to high a position will cause the engine to flood, not a good thing and very difficult to fix.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
richrd

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Find your HS needle setting with the tank half empty and set it a couple of hundred rpm rich.
So your saying it can pull from a low tank.
This is 4*60 engines are upright, if I bolt the engine on bottom side of beam the carb is level with top.
Either I rebuild the fire wall or leave level just do'nt want problems if it's known not to work
Rich
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM
JohnB96041

If you bolt the engine to the bottom of the mount, the engine will not be on center with the body of the airplane. It will create a tendency for the model to climb under full power. Much better to relocate the fuel tank if possible.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
FNQFLYER

Actually it will either dive or climb depending where the C 0f G is located.  Better to consider the pump / tank pressure options.  If the tank isn't installed already, and you ARE really concerned consider doing a mock up in the test stand.  Position the tank in the same relative position as what it would be in the airframe and test it.  Tanks make or break a good model (one component at least) but fortunately there are a large number of fixes available.
As an example when the C of G is critical in our old timers I have been known to strap the fuel tank on the side of the airframe to best determine the ideal position to achieve best glide etc.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Hobbsy

There is another option Rich, its a little work but doable. Make the right cowl/fuse cheek removable and make it so the cylinder can stick out through it. With the 1.00 there won't be much of it left but it will look fine.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Rudolph Hart

I agree,the engines run well when sidemounted.What about a cline regulator dave?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

One of my posts went missing (probably to long and off point) but not SWINE but SEQLD Flyer maybe might be new moniker.
It's not showing up as ever being posted here. I would see it if it was posted. It wasn't deleted and the system doesn't support moving away just one message. I've had this happen to me a lot. My post never shows up.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Hobbsy

The Cline would definitely cure it and much easier than any other way.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 PM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobbsy,

How is the Cline system working in conjunction with the Saito engines? I'm asking as the cline is a demand type regulator while the Saito carbs normally see fuel pressure on HS needle? I've heard that some engines with oversize carbs, like Moki 2.1, won't work well with clines, too. And if I remenber correctly the installation instructions of the cline system refers to this matter suggesting to change to demand type carb if the original carb is an oversize carb.

Just curious..
Old 06-20-2013, 02:50 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: blw

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

It's not showing up as ever being posted here. I would see it if it was posted. It wasn't deleted and the system doesn't support moving away just one message. I've had this happen to me a lot. My post never shows up.
+1
Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

If you bolt the engine to the bottom of the mount, the engine will not be on center with the body of the airplane. It will create a tendency for the model to climb under full power. Much better to relocate the fuel tank if possible.
I did exactly the opposite thing on a U. S. Aircore Nighthawk by mounting the engine inverted on top of the power cartridge..

No significant change in the flight characteristics.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Hobbsy

The pressure is contained at the valve in the regulator, fuel flow can only happen when the diaphragm opens the valve. To answer your question, the Cline works perfectly on a Saito, even on the little .30
Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Rudolph Hart

If it helps in a tuning sense i look at a regulator like this.In a normal fuel setup with a bit of exhaust/atmospheric pressure to push fuel along to the carby things generally don't go well for most people.With the cline and it's demand for high pressure fuel delivery the valve/regulater right next to the carb lets it sip what it wants that easy.Kinda like having a loud and demanding missus really but you crash less.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 AM
Hobbsy

Pete, every once in a while you'll see a complaint about the Cline or IronBay in that you cannot make an engine sloppy rich because as you say it gives the engine what it demands. You can however richen it enough to slow it down a little. Since there is no leaning as the tank empties there is no need for 300 rpm richer than peak. The Cline is a winner all the way around. This is my overdone for fun 1.30 wearing two Clines. At one point I had tw TurboHeaders on it also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1893492  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM
richrd

ORIGINAL: AeroFinn

Hobbsy,

How is the Cline system working in conjunction with the Saito engines? I'm asking as the cline is a demand type regulator while the Saito carbs normally see fuel pressure on HS needle? I've heard that some engines with oversize carbs, like Moki 2.1, won't work well with clines, too. And if I remenber correctly the installation instructions of the cline system refers to this matter suggesting to change to demand type carb if the original carb is an oversize carb.

Just curious..
Ok thanks guys

On mounting on bottom of mount is because the oem SIG mount got broken an replacement raised it a beam width
prop back as stock on lower mounting.

So cline will be the fix if can not tune with carb this high...

Does the cline need a pressurized tank like YS ??? cause iam already going to use muffler pressure.

Thanks again Rich
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM
FNQFLYER

If you mount the engine (say upright) in the correct position (assuming the mount is correctly aligned), all will be well if you mount the same engine the same way on the bottom of the mount then you have thrust line problems.
Now tank pressure, in Old Timer Texaco we do not use muffler pressure.  This is an economy event and 2 things are paramount best run with fuel allocation and using every bit of the fuel in the tank. Tanks have no clunk and the positioning is critical, and the engine is tuned to run on the low speed needle in the lower RPM range.
On Ys engines and tank pressure, DO NOT repeat DO NOT use plastic tanks for these engines.  If you have the engine set up for max performance you will at the very least distort and bulge the tank, at the worst it will split inside the airframe and fuel under pressure goes everywhere and I have found that the new you beaut digital servos most people use these days are very sensitive to methanol and nitro.  One good thing about using these engines my soldering skills have greatly improved, my trainers (in my apprentice days) would be pleased.  Though it is a little funny to see the "modern" era of so called modellers (ARF assemblers) struggle with the process. 
To all those who are interested in learning the finer arts of tuning engines (what ever the breed) I would suggest a trip to a local SAM event and observe the various methods and lenghts people go to to extract power and economy from the power plants used.  You might find it informative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.