Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2000162  
Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Oil all comes out in one place.
I take it that you do not use AR on that engine...
Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 AM
blw

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Is the honda s2000 a hardtop?
New soft top last year. I have it and another car in a carport, and the truck is outside with a soft vinyl like tri-folding bed cover. Those are perfect for carrying planes and they install/uninstall in minutes.

The problem with the S2000 used to be cats! I used an Ultracote cardboard tube for a gun barrel, and aimed bottle rockets with it. I could hit within inches of a cat too. There were about 4 of them in the neighborhood. I would shoot over my neighbors yard when I spotted them and they learned to give my yard a wide berth when prowling around. We've seen them come down the street and detour our yard by going a street over to continue on. If I caught them sleeping on the top I would drop firecrackers off the 2nd story deck down into the carport. They learned.

On a sad note, we aren't flying for a few weeks at least because the land owner of our field passed away about 2 weeks ago. He was a good man.

Last edited by blw; 05-31-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2014, 08:06 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

When I was a kid in my teens we had a cat that would come into our yard and terrorize my dog (small) and get in our basement and create problems there. I bought a bunch of bottle rockets that made a big bang at the end of the motor burn,and used a tube as a launcher. When i'd see that big tom I would load up. I could get the flight path pretty close to him. His eyes would get big as saucers when he saw the hissing rocket headed at him. The jump when the rocket went bang close to him was something to see. I did not know cats could jump that high and far, nor did I know they could run that fast. A couple or three times of that and you could see him go clear across the street skirting around our house. It was the neighbor's cat.

My bud and I flew CL at that time. Any ideal how much of a panic it causes some one flying a CL to have when you launch one of those rockets into there flight path? Good thing we were really good buds or there might have been a beat down with me as the beat downee.

Ken
Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
I take it that you do not use AR on that engine...
Yes sir Jim, I do, I use NAPA Fogging Oil, I just pop the vent off of the little pipe I soldered into the K&S tube.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 AM
jeffie8696

The problem with Aerosave is that it isn't commonly available in the US.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Just had an explosion in the shed.PHNUT!! is a european word for jesus h christ,i had bits of plastic spinner and backplate rattling off the roof and a window.Don't know whether it backfired or not.I run the lsn in the middle and was checking transition.The engine had a brief over rev but the prop was still reasonably tight,not much plastic backplate left.You could wiggle the prop from side to side a bit.Fitted a new apc14x6.Turned the prop over and it sounded ok so hit it with a starter still no bad noises.Put some 10% in it sounds and runs sweet as.Flying it next monday it's australia day here then but our weather here is as crappy as yours sounds.
You've definitely got the aussie spirit there Old Fart and a brave man as well . Those plastic spinners and backplate are only good for the bin . At least youve learnt your lesson ( you have haven't you ? That was one of first things I was told when I started out and I havent used one since . I never had the pleasure of a prop departing the engine or a spinner exploding but those who have say its vary scary and they dont forget it in a hurry . I always tell club mates who are hanging around standing in frond of an engine to get behind and am dismayed how many are blind to that danger . i certainly wouldn't want someone wearing a prop . Anyway sermon over and the pope wont be at church today as he's going to the footy to watch the not so mighty crows at the new Adelaide oval.
http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/galle....aspx?aid=1009

Last edited by the pope; 05-31-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: seatgeq
Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM
FNQFLYER

Old fart, Australia Day next week, I knew you WA types were behind the rest of us but Oz Day in May / June??? You are a silly bugger using plastic backed spinners on big Saitos what did you expect. The very least type spinner is ally backed plastic or total metal or spinner dome nuts but plastic???
Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart to save you from something dastardly I could even just maybe supply you with some of our you beaut sippner nuts (just right for starter) or you could go to local hobby shop and buy a few Dubro ones. Cost of our spinner nuts would be a few bottles of white port or sandelara from Margaret River
Old 05-31-2014, 03:43 PM
SrTelemaster150

Dan, is that a USAircore Knight Hawk you're speaking of, I had one in the early 90's and quite literally wore the paint of of it with an Enya .46MKII and then many hours with a SuperTigre Diesel conversion.

Yes it's the USAircore Knight Hawk. When I bought the original back in 1998, I took the assembled airframe to Hobby R/C on the east side of Indianapolis & tried engines for balance. An FA-91S balanced the plane beautifully. It was a bit of a shoehorn job, but it fit.

I crashed that original when I "range checked it in the air" W/the 72Mz radio. I had it hooked up W/a buddy cord & was teaching my 9 year old son to fly. It lost signal about 250 yds out & went into picked corn flat & level @ WOT.

I purchased a replacement & partially assembled it then lost interest as other life responsibilities took precedence over my hobbies.

They're not as light as a built up balsa structure, but they sure are durable. Nothing wrong W/ the way it flies, it's just not a floater.

The current version has already survived 2 crashes, one of them was pretty significant as the plane snap rolled @ about 20' up & went straight in.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 05-31-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Rudolph Hart

I'm still laughing about what our american cousins are doing to their cats over there.What a pity fireworks were banned from sale in australia years ago but then..perhaps not

I only ever had one good spinner and aluminium backplate for the saito 82 and that got damaged so i thought i'd try the one they supplied in the new kit,my only excuse was my only excuse.Turned out to be the same quality as the blue plastic engine mounts,the 82 can turn one of those into useless real quick.

WA (western australia) is sometimes known as 'wait awhile' yes it really is australia day this monday and really looking forward to flying the 82 again,it sounds better with a straight thru pipe off my fa200r3 which now has a keleo ring on it.

ps popey do you remember the one about the young bloke sitting in the sold out packed grandstands at the footy final? and next to him is an old bloke and beside him is an empty seat,the only one in the house.The young bloke says 'i can't believe someone would pay that much for a ticket and not be here'...the old bloke says it's his mates seat but he could'nt make it.'Why not?' says the young guy...the old bloke thinks for a minute and says 'he had to go to my wife's funeral'
Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I took the advice of tuning with a half tank. My Mangum ran good, and now my OS is running good at under a half tank, seemed like the low speed was a bit lean.

Now I am a bit disturbed though. My Magnum in teh Chipmunk ran great on the ground. But with the cowl off. I ran through a half tank of fuel, and it transitioned perfectly from idle for over a minute to WOT with not a single stumble. I took it to the field, it fired right up, but this time I had the cowl on. I taxi tested to check my rebalanced and larger wheels took care of the tail bouncing high. It did, it taxied perfectly, so I took off and started to fly. About a minute in, at WOT, the engine quit. Could it have over heated? I am so puzzled by this, it ran perfectly on the ground, but with the cowl off and starting at a half tank. It had a nearly full tank when it left the ground. Unfortunately I could not land it dead stick, it was too windy and it got away from me. It needs a little repair work, but until I can find a solution for the engine dieing, it will sit on a shelf for now.

I would like to swap in my Saito, but it would require moving the throttle cable, and using different mounts since the carb is further back than the Magnum. I thought I had the Magnum tuning licked, it fooled me.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:37 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

Pete, Cougar, 1Q and others, I converted my 1.50 to C&H Ignition today thanks to Dan switching the end to a 120 degree clip. All it needs is to re-install the carb and exhaust. The degree whell is a 10" one I found on line and smallified to the more manageable size you see, the pointer is a 1/32" control rod bent to suit and Thick CA'd into a piece of basswood. Homemade aids are just part of the hobby fun. I have it set to 35 degrees BTDC. The pointer lays in the groove between the two center cooling fins.
I have two 1.50's that I want to convert to CDI. I had my 125 converted and never looked back. I runs so good I sent my FT-160 in for conversion.
Hobbsy, how does your 150 run at 35 deg BTC?

John
Old 05-31-2014, 06:37 PM
jeffie8696

Perhaps a little richer on the top end would help it run somewhat cooler. Sounds like the cowl is restricting the airflow some.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 PM
Rudolph Hart

You could be right tho he does'nt say he heard it sagging before it quit.

Ac if you a doing a major re tune from bad settings i do the following just to re check things.When you get to the field just fill the tank to half or less.Once the engine has warmed up and runs well at full throttle get a mate to hold the aeroplane up vertically for you and check transition and full throttle again.Then fill the tank and do it again before flying.Like jeffie said it sounds like you are still lean.

ps i've crashed three electric helis chasing the next door neighbour's cat
Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 PM
FNQFLYER

Just back from a session at the field. Re tuning nothing frustrates your day than an engine that won't "tune". Especially when you ultimately find out that it is a jumping / sticking servo that costs heaps and is on its first installation. Getting the gear ready for Queens Birthday w/end comp here at the local field. State O/T champs. Biggest problem for me is deciding betwen a hot Irvine 25, an equally hot ST 29 or a Saito 30 for my vertical drag racer (Duration machine). Could use the Saito in the Texaco machine (fuel efficiency type), oh the problems. I have 3 models sitting on my bench waiting decisions, procrastination is the state of play today.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Rudolph Hart

Can we all vote on it? i'm going for the saito 30 on 45% nitro hows that sound? and you were right it's actually WA day tomorrow

A bottle or two of that sandelara from our margaret river wine district and a hand rolled cigarette should help you mull over the problem and come up with a solution.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:18 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by johnboy151a
I have two 1.50's that I want to convert to CDI. I had my 125 converted and never looked back. I runs so good I sent my FT-160 in for conversion.
Hobbsy, how does your 150 run at 35 deg BTC?

John
Did you ever get that slightly rich cruise throttle issue sorted out? The big blocks run great at 35° BTDC.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 AM
acdii

Well I did hold it vertical at full throttle and it kept singing, but it took both hands, so didn't transition it from idle to full. At WOT it has some serious pull too.

Well this does give me the opportunity to fill that gap behind the wing now.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by flyingagin
When I was a kid in my teens we had a cat that would come into our yard and terrorize my dog (small) and get in our basement and create problems there. I bought a bunch of bottle rockets that made a big bang at the end of the motor burn,and used a tube as a launcher. When i'd see that big tom I would load up. I could get the flight path pretty close to him. His eyes would get big as saucers when he saw the hissing rocket headed at him. The jump when the rocket went bang close to him was something to see. I did not know cats could jump that high and far, nor did I know they could run that fast. A couple or three times of that and you could see him go clear across the street skirting around our house. It was the neighbor's cat.

My bud and I flew CL at that time. Any ideal how much of a panic it causes some one flying a CL to have when you launch one of those rockets into there flight path? Good thing we were really good buds or there might have been a beat down with me as the beat downee.

Ken
I have had cats and dogs forever and the ONLY ones that hurt my models where my kids and the dogs. The oldest too a brand new top wing to a Super Stinker and used the leading edge for a hammer. After he had been pounding for a while I asked him what he was doing. He told me and I said that I would pound that nail in for him. That was when I discovered he had been using my wing. SO I built another and the darned dogs chewed on it sending me BACK to the building board. That plane was almost snake bit.

Before I got married I had a calico. I was living with my parents while going to college (if I paid the electric bill they had lights and I got a place to stay - fair trade - well sort of). My calico used to roam the neighborhood and always brought back 'interesting' things. One afternoon I saw her doing something odd in the street and watched her heard a mouse to the driveway so she could present me with the fresh kill. A week or two later, I put the trash out in the evening and noticed she was sleeping, on her back, in the middle of the neighbors yard. About the same time I noticed the neighborhood dog pack coming down the street checking trash cans which was a weekly event. They got next to the neighbors house and crossed the street and did not come back across until past my house. Some time after that I was told about the large dog that put his snout in her sleeping belly and was last seen running down the street with my cat in hot pursuit. That was when I finally figured out I had a street fighter.

Some time later, after I was married, a neighbor came over and interrupted my building session with a request about my calico. It seemed he had a large dog that had been rejected from the Air Force training program on a chain in his back yard. HE said he WATCHED my cat come over the fence and saunter up to his sleeping dog and whack it full in the face and run for the fence which was just out of his reach. I convinced him to hold a wing so I could stretch the covering tight while he told me that this was not just a singular occurrence but happened frequently. I suggested my cat was just trying to see that his dog got exercised. He didn't buy that one at all. He stayed until after 11 that night helping me and regaling me with all the things he had seen my cat do.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:49 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
Did you ever get that slightly rich cruise throttle issue sorted out? The big blocks run great at 35° BTDC.
Yes sir I did. I hate to tell you this, but I could not figure it out so I sent it back to C&H and he re-tuned it. I never could get a straight answer out of him regarding what needed to be redone. I think it was just too far advanced. No big deal, I know your shop was under ice when you set it up the first time. It will turn a 15x8 at over 9000 and transitions flawlessly now. I will get a kit for the 150 soon and try it for myself.

John
Old 06-01-2014, 03:15 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart suggestion taken on board but not the smoking, didn't ever take it up couldn't afford to intiallly fast cars and fast women (and booze and good food) and now in my dotage (65 in October) to many more Saitos to acquire. I am about to open my last bottle of Sandelara dam it. You could bring some over when you come to the Scale fest thingy her the last week in August. Nothing under 80 inch w/s
Old 06-01-2014, 04:16 PM
acdii

I have a cat that comes to help me in my shop, He will make sure there are no mice to eat my planes. He likes to lay next to me while I'm working.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
I have had cats and dogs forever and the ONLY ones that hurt my models where my kids and the dogs. The oldest too a brand new top wing to a Super Stinker and used the leading edge for a hammer. After he had been pounding for a while I asked him what he was doing. He told me and I said that I would pound that nail in for him. That was when I discovered he had been using my wing. SO I built another and the darned dogs chewed on it sending me BACK to the building board. That plane was almost snake bit.

Before I got married I had a calico. I was living with my parents while going to college (if I paid the electric bill they had lights and I got a place to stay - fair trade - well sort of). My calico used to roam the neighborhood and always brought back 'interesting' things. One afternoon I saw her doing something odd in the street and watched her heard a mouse to the driveway so she could present me with the fresh kill. A week or two later, I put the trash out in the evening and noticed she was sleeping, on her back, in the middle of the neighbors yard. About the same time I noticed the neighborhood dog pack coming down the street checking trash cans which was a weekly event. They got next to the neighbors house and crossed the street and did not come back across until past my house. Some time after that I was told about the large dog that put his snout in her sleeping belly and was last seen running down the street with my cat in hot pursuit. That was when I finally figured out I had a street fighter.

Some time later, after I was married, a neighbor came over and interrupted my building session with a request about my calico. It seemed he had a large dog that had been rejected from the Air Force training program on a chain in his back yard. HE said he WATCHED my cat come over the fence and saunter up to his sleeping dog and whack it full in the face and run for the fence which was just out of his reach. I convinced him to hold a wing so I could stretch the covering tight while he told me that this was not just a singular occurrence but happened frequently. I suggested my cat was just trying to see that his dog got exercised. He didn't buy that one at all. He stayed until after 11 that night helping me and regaling me with all the things he had seen my cat do.
Cats are just funny things. My flying buddy when growing up had a Manx cat. King of all he wanted to be king of, 'nough said. And I have had cats bring me presents of fresh kill. It is an honor I reckon, and the same for being groomed. And then One brought in a live bird to the house. I took it away and released it. That cat would not have anything to do with me for almost a week. This was cat that was always in my lap. Quesse she was mad at me for taking her fresh breakfast away.

But like you never had a pet damage a plane. Lots of mud dobbers of recent creating problems. I hate those things with a passion.

Got a stray cat that is peeing on our front door. I am still plotting a response. Might be entertaining.

Ken
Old 06-01-2014, 05:00 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by johnboy151a
Yes sir I did. I hate to tell you this, but I could not figure it out so I sent it back to C&H and he re-tuned it. I never could get a straight answer out of him regarding what needed to be redone. I think it was just too far advanced. No big deal, I know your shop was under ice when you set it up the first time. It will turn a 15x8 at over 9000 and transitions flawlessly now. I will get a kit for the 150 soon and try it for myself.

John
I've set up & run my FA91S @ 28° BTDC & 35° BTDC & it ran better on top & the same on transition @ 35°.

Same for my FA-150 & my various FA-150/180/FG-57T hybrids.

The -38°F temperatures weren't the worst if it, I had a brush W/pneumonia. I just didn't have the resources to do a thorough tuning job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.