Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
I hard that! One try'd for 30yr's! LOL.... Did not work, althow, it could of worked.
Which tried for 30 years Sammy? A plane or a woman? I flew a few junkers that kept trying to do me harm. Well, I also had this wife who went for slow and quick kills. Grrrrrrrr. I now only refer to her as the defendant.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:11 PM
slamn sammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dee,dee,dee

LOL! Well? I had both! I had a woman that tryed driving me (CRAZY) For 30 Years! Got away from her! Than I have a Gold Wing MX2 that took off three finger's! The Dr's saved two and left me with just enuff nail that l wake up with cuts and scrtches that l don't know where they come from? If you go to my photo gallery, you will see me in a cast. A 21X14 3D Slow Fly prop on a DL50, cut threw my thumb and broke the bone, blew up my index finger (NO PARTS LEFT) cut off my middle finger, (WAS HANGING) by a nerve, Dr, was fixing to cut it off. Sewn finger back on, got it crooked! Wore 2 pins in one finger for 9 weeks, 2 in thumb for 6 weeks, that was after l got a complet sholder replacment in May 2013, Fingers in july 2013. (JUST BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY) trying to get this year with out Cutting, Blowing myself up! Started the year with a Colonoscopy and have already stabed myslef with a screwdriver! Not looking good! LOL........ How you doing? P.S. Need a Guitar?

Last edited by slamn sammy; 06-19-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Rudolph Hart

Why sammy..can you strum the theme song to the movie deliverance?? just kiddin mate ! has anybody mentioned to you that you might be accident prone? and should not take part in dangerous activities like bench running a saito or anything that involves starting a chainsaw?

ps you're funny dude

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 06-19-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:44 AM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeesh you two. Thought I was bad. More broken bones, cuts and burns than I can count, a pair of cases of amnesia from head injuries, two crushed fingers from a press, (came out 1/4" thick and still attached) and tried to saw my cornea off........

As for the wife, we're celebrating 36 years in September, so really can't relate there. She's had to put up with me through most of the injuries listed.

Hmmmmm...........................
Old 06-20-2014, 03:35 AM
tarcure

Thank you very much for the offer. The engine is not apart at the moment so I'd like to try and buy a tap. I don't know enough about the various types to find what I need at mcmaster.com. If you have the time, could you please send me a link to the specific one I need? I very much appreciate your offer and taking the time to respond. I have found this forum a wealth of information and I am grateful to all who spend the time to respond to such queries. Thank you again.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:44 AM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked through Mcmaster Carr site and this one looks right:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plug-taps/=shm8zz

Use some form of thicker oil on the tap threads and do NOT try this with the jug installed. Afterwards, clean threads with alcohol and blow everything clean to ensure no gunk remains in the cylinder or in the threads.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

http://www.microfasteners.com/tap143...eed-steel.html

Here ya go @ $9.55, I have many tools, bolts and nuts from MicroFasteners.com. All are high quality, they also have the matching die to clean up the threads on the occasional roughed up glow plug.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 AM
Rudolph Hart

Tarcure sr telemaster is hovering in the wings and ready to pounce...'ever thought about putting a spark plug in the head?' then you can run cdi ignition on gas,way cheaper..hang on...i'm in the wrong thread

ps sammy,david hobbs plays geetaaar real good
Old 06-20-2014, 04:01 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Tarcure sr telemaster is hovering in the wings and ready to pounce...'ever thought about putting a spark plug in the head?' then you can run cdi ignition on gas,way cheaper..hang on...i'm in the wrong thread
When did I ever suggest using smelly, volatile gas that will make the engine run hot & most likely shorten the life of a Saito?

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 06-20-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

I assume people have done CH ignitions on their Saito's on here? I have a FA 200R3 i plan on sending to Adrian at CH ignitions in a couple of days for the gas conversion. Engine has not had any fuel ran through it yet it is new. Is there a difference is performance and power and sound between gas and nitro? Sorry I'm kinda new to the conversions.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:27 AM
slamn sammy

ROFL There Oldfart! now Thats Funny! l don't know what was trying to kill me faster, the plane or the woman? LOL..........The rely funny part is that right before my surgery, l had just got my stitch's out where l opened my self up with a #11 blade! l think she was trying to kill me slow, the DLE was QUIT pi**'d off! And....... Ya, l have been told that i'm accident prone! l think l just get in a hurry? Thats what l get for trying to start a (GAS PLANE) without a holder. We all do things every day that can get us, just of it is that my time ran out. The last time l road my ATV l broke 7 bone's and clapped a lung.........? Think ur right! l can get hurt just getting out of bed! LOL..... Just got a call, looks like where going flying tomorrow, Anybody have a hockey mask? May rain, maybe l'll drown? LOL........ Stay Safe and stand behind me!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:32 AM
taildragger1589

Hi Bad!
I've done the conversion back in '88 on my OS 120 but back then we had a mechanical advance on it and ran on cool power. No gas carbs for OS then.
Still, it worked very well on the quarter scale Cub.
Now I've put the Saito FG11 gasser on my restored smith.
I wanted to see how the smaller gassers performed and I didn't have anything to convert on the bigger engines.
I can tell you, that even though the new gassers have less power than their nitro brothers, they still have as much power as the glow 4 strokes had 20 years ago.
So basically, if you go petrol power, you're trading off 20 years of technical advances for 20 years of cool power price increase.
Also the gassers run hotter, so you gotta be careful if you're going with a cowled installation.

The sound is the same. If you want to see the diff for yourself there are vids of the FG smith (its a .66) here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...-build-47.html

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SmithFinished 014.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	923.1 KB
ID:	2007067   Click image for larger version

Name:	CUB-1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	2007070  

Last edited by taildragger1589; 06-20-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:45 AM
slamn sammy

Cougar, Are you my long lost brother? LOL..... You know there, they say we all have a dubbel! Keep out of the trees!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:03 AM
taildragger1589

I hope you guys aren't planning to take up skydiving!

SrT...
Have you ever done temp readings on that FA180?
Tried, but couldn't find any refs.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:26 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
Cougar, Are you my long lost brother? LOL..... You know there, they say we all have a dubbel! Keep out of the trees!
Hi there Sammy , as a fellow bad speller you make me look good . Your post are pretty funny , keep up the good work and you what they say about women ? If it wasn't for that thing down there you would put them on a island and throw rocks at em !!! . Cheers from the pope
Old 06-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
When did I ever suggest using smelly, volatile gas that will make the engine run hot & most likely shorten the life of a Saito?
Never let the facts spoil a good yarn sr.In australia we call this 'pulling your leg'...in other words,a joke

ps do you play the guitar also?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Rudolph Hart

Nick that's a good vid did you throttle back at all apart from the first landing? used to fly the previous deccy with fa 82 like that with apc 14x6 prop.Lasted four years,took a hell of a beating airframe wise.

I think you would have to seriously over prop a fully cowled methanol saito to have overheating problems assuming it's not lean at full throttle.On the big block singles the nitro definitely has a better bark than the milder gas versions tho your fg11 sounds good to me.

Will post some pix soon of the fg57 fully cowled in the edge 540v3 with a simple ducting arrangement and shotgun pipes out the sides.If you go to pe reivers old site he has some good advice on ducted cooling for petrol powered engines,i found the theory interesting.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
slamn sammy

LOL! Only if sheep could cook!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:08 PM
slamn sammy

Did, Don't anymore.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:12 PM
slamn sammy

H*** no! Something about jumping out of a good airplane is not right! Alto, I used to fly, got boring! Can't afford a real plane and you can't rent one that you can have fun in. With my luck, l would kill myself and take some with me!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 AM
taildragger1589

Nick that's a good vid did you throttle back at all apart from the first landing?.
We don't do "throttle back"
My airframes usually take a beating as well.
(more so since I laid out a few years from heavy IC ships and have to learn how to land softly again)
I love the full throttle inverted snap on the downward vertical leg of any maneuver, sometimes you can hear the airframe groan over the sound of the engine.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 AM
slamn sammy

Good Moring Girls! Don't see munch going on? All asleep? LOL..... Was going flying, But! Just got up myself (Stay'd up late with TV) It's 92* on my front porch, rain is coming and the guys at the field said there dying from the heat and fixing to go home! Guess my planes dodged a bullet to fly another day! Some days even aircraft have a good day. Ya'll have a good weekend and stay out of the heat. Later P.S. Coffees Goooooooood!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM
blw

Wake up everybody. Sammy's back.

I was going to fly a new 82 today for the first time, but we have a 60% chance of rain so I didn't even load up.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM
slamn sammy

LOL, thats good! l can till l'm getting older. l used to go out between rain showers, deal with the heat and fight the cooled. Now it takes it out of me to go to the mail box. I have a Briggs & Stratton four-cycle weed eater engine thats cool looking! Looks like a very small lawn mower engine. I got a Sr,Telemaster that l'd like to make into a float plane. Have tach'd it with a 20X10 prop and got 5700 RPM and gown down to a 16X10 and got 7700 and without a prop got 8000 RPM's. The Tele, needs the nose wait and this engine runs on no mix. Will see?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 AM
taildragger1589

used to fly the previous deccy with fa 82 like that with apc 14x6 prop.Lasted four years,took a hell of a beating airframe wise.

I think you would have to seriously over prop a fully cowled methanol saito to have overheating problems assuming it's not lean at full throttle.On the big block singles the nitro definitely has a better bark than the milder gas versions tho your fg11 sounds good to me.

Will post some pix soon of the fg57 fully cowled in the edge 540v3 with a simple ducting arrangement and shotgun pipes out the sides.If you go to pe reivers old site he has some good advice on ducted cooling for petrol powered engines,i found the theory interesting.
Don't that little 11 sound good?
I just wondered how much hotter the gas runs, than the nitro.
I've heard that the normal temps for gas is 210 - 220 F and the FG11 is running at 221 on a 93 degree day with high humidity. So I guess it's doing ok.
re: baffling.
I've done a split crankcase overhaul on 3 1600cc Beetle engines and I messed up the baffle positions on the first one...
Believe me, when I opened the hood (trunk?) and saw the generator and fuel shut off wires melting from the heat, I realized the importance of baffling.
Looking forward to the posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.