Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 AM
taildragger1589

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Transsubstantiation eh ?
No disrespect to the church, just that I thought I had it so tightly sealed that the only way bubbles could appear was for the substance of the air to trans thru the tubing into the fuel.

seriously, once or twice I've had the bubbles reappear for the first 30 seconds of running then disappear the rest of the day. It almost looked like they were coming from the carb. (Not the connection to the carb, but from inside it)
If it were constant I'd be less confused, but intermittent problems are so darn intermittent!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe they are shipped with the throttle lever on the left making the engine narrower. I might be wrong though.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:01 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, the tanks we make up for most O/T models will hold about 50 to 60 mls. Allows for extra fuel needed if you are running a Duration engine. We were adding 30mls at a time after intially filling the tank to capacity. Corrosion was the death of the tank after at least 10years of use.
Question have you seen the new OS engines (petrol) powered by a glo plug not a spark plug. Called GGT engines. Interesting prospect, I don't have any spare cash otherwise I might have been interested. Now exploring the possibility of making our own rings to replace worn out ones. Found an article on doing it on the national Control Line newsletter from the 80's. The material used is Mennonite 4 which I can get from Blackmores. Just got to find a good 500degree heat source for annealing (and warming up the w/shop
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sammy do you have the 91 mounted in a model ? if so what do you think of them.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Rudolph Hart

No i hav'nt seen the new os.I started my fourstroke collection with saito's and i've never looked back,or anywhere else for that matter.I just love them,the sound they make with a good pipe and the performance they give for their weight and size.Plus they smell real good on castor and nitro mate !

ps whats the reason for making your own rings and do you have an oxy set and some temp chalk ?

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 06-29-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: rings :)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are just in need of rings that are not produced anymore, talk to Frank Bowman. But if you are tring to do something special I am also curious.

Ken
Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by acdii
That is how mine is setup, needle on the left, muffler on the right. I wonder why yours is on the right same side as the muffler, would be tricky to adjust and not get burned by the exhaust.
Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I believe they are shipped with the throttle lever on the left making the engine narrower. I might be wrong though.
Every Saito single I have ever dealt with comes W/ the HSN on the starboard side. As Dave pointed out, that makes for a narrower installation width.

I always add an extension W/a short 90° Bend on the end for reference.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 AM
slamn sammy

Hay there OldFart! l have it in a BT13 Military Trainer. I think it has a lot of power, have not had any trouble with it! Running Power-Master 15% fuel. My O.S.90, it's always something with it! Plugs keep burning out, Having to keep resetting the valves, Muffler coming lose! Had to put a pump on it & l got it mounted on it's side The Saito is inverted with out a pump! The Saito just keeps on plugging! I don't know what size prop to use? l have a 13X6 on it and it seems to be just right. Don't know what kit the plane is? Wished l knew! l got it used, my wifes father worked on them & the first Mustangs in the Air Force lt has a WS of 69in. Guess l need to get a Mustang too! What l like is it's completley concelled in the cowl! This thing looks like a T6 without retracts. I'm going to have to build a F4 too. My wife was a engine tech & teacher on the F4 engines in the Air Force Also. My brother has a Saito 91 that he needs a set of push rods and push rod tubs for it. Do you know where he can get some parts? Horizon has push rods, no tubs?

Last edited by slamn sammy; 06-30-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Rudolph Hart

We use advantage hobby from over here i think horizon only ships inside the us.A 13x6 is on the small side for my 82's try a 14x6/14x8 it will give you scale speed at less than full throttle.The bt13 is a nice looking 1930's aeroplane and ww2 trainer for sure.

ps your wife was an f4 engine tech? maybe she should be working on your saito's mate while you sit back with a nice cold one or three
Old 06-30-2014, 03:00 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, I have a lathe (as yet unused) and most of the other gear a workshop should have in some form or another. Making rings is just a thought. We run OS 32sxh's and OS 37sxh's as duration engines and I have some early K&B rear induction rear exhaust types as well. I think there are some Rossi's and OS pylon engines in the box and in need of rings. This is a project that will include flash chroming of bores and making better rods etc. Just a small thing to while away the time. I actually become an OAP on Oct 1 so got to plan these things. Re the OS engine thing I think their petrol engines sound just like a radial on first start up on a bloody cold morning, rattly, not like our Saitos. I was just interested in the idea of running petrol with a glo plug. Different permutations and combo's. Still cold here low single digets for morning temps. My mates in Cairns are laughing their collective heads off and complaining about the cold 15 degree mornings. Such is life
Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM
FNQFLYER

Old fart did you know we have a 1:1 BT13 flying in Victoria. Interesting a/c
Old 06-30-2014, 04:13 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Old Fart
We use advantage hobby from over here i think horizon only ships inside the us.A 13x6 is on the small side for my 82's try a 14x6/14x8 it will give you scale speed at less than full throttle.The bt13 is a nice looking 1930's aeroplane and ww2 trainer for sure.

ps your wife was an f4 engine tech? maybe she should be working on your saito's mate while you sit back with a nice cold one or three
Hi there O.F. horizon are more than happy to ship to Aus , and so they should be . I saw that they had a Saito 40 glow engine for $160 (or $140 cant remember ) and thought you little ripper but then the shipping was $130 so that took the shine off it a wee bit . Sent them a email saying that I got a 15 OS gas engine sent for $16 from Tower but they thought their shipping was something special and they were quite happy with their price so for about the 3rd time I wished them the best and bought something from Tower instead . With their attitude and shipping costs they wont break into the Aus market anytime soon . A big thumbs up for their business plan. Cheers the pope
Old 06-30-2014, 05:11 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

So have someone here get it for you and ship it.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
. I have around five Ryobi motors that I have not dun anything with yet. I see in some of the old High Flight Mag's, They use to sale the converted Ryobi four cycles, BUT! I think they where low on power for there wight?
Sammy- I had a Ryobi 4 stroke straight gasser that would run all day. That was a great 4 stroke. It didn't mske the move here by oversight and I regret that.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 PM
FNQFLYER

Pope, Horizon already have a presence in OZ, we have had their reps visit our big comps and the QLD rep is a member of our club. I agree with you that their freight costs are over the top which is why I don't buy direct from them.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by acdii
So have someone here get it for you and ship it.
If I and others did that then they will never change their ways . Nah I got a better idea , give them the big middle finger . Cheers
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 PM
FNQFLYER

Flyinagain, the purpose of the project in doing rings etc is to 1/ resurect old 65's and maybe just maybe breathe a little performance enhancers into the old engine. BTB my Sportster 40 has an open rocker 30 in the diagrams for setting up 4s engine installations.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Pope, Horizon already have a presence in OZ, we have had their reps visit our big comps and the QLD rep is a member of our club. I agree with you that their freight costs are over the top which is why I don't buy direct from them.
Hi there FNQ , one of our local shops here in Sth Aus. seems like a mini Horizon hobby as they sell alot of the same stuff but I cant find a 40 saito for $140 or whatever $ it is here in Aus .The point being is their shipping is redonkulas !!!!!!!!!! I hope they read these forums . Cheers
Old 06-30-2014, 08:34 PM
jetpoweredmonkey
My Feedback: (11)

Hi all, I'm working on another big Saito twin, a nice score from the RC Universe classifieds. This one is an FA-300T, single updraft carb, it looks like it has very little time on it and the outside cleaned up like new. However, it has a nasty squeak when you turn it over. I removed the intake and the rear cover bolts. Now that the rear cover can spin, the squeak is gone and it turns over more smoothly, so I guess the rear bearing is bad. I oiled it up really well through the crankcase breather nipple, and pulled off the valve covers to oil up the rockers and down the pushrod tubes, but it still squeaked.

Is there any way to get the rear cover off without dismantling the whole engine and pushing the crankshaft out with the rear bearing still attached? I was hoping I could get away with just replacing that one bearing if the others aren't rusty. I tried heating up the rear cover pretty well but maybe not well enough, it's not coming off that bearing with gentle persuasion (i.e. no hammers and no screwdrivers jammed in between the back cover and crankcase!).

Thanks guys for any help.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Rudolph Hart

I lusted after a fa300 twin for months,ended up with an fg57.

Since the engine is secondhand and you doubt your bearing condition i'd strip it,do the bearings gaskets o rings and seals it costs peanuts for peace of mind if you don't count your own time.Big reward tho when you first start it.I think sr telemaster owns one so if he reads this he may come along and o9ffer some good advice.For gawds sake don't let him talk you into a cdi conversion !

Fnq zero degrees c is no fun in the mornings man,the old 'f' scale sounds better at around 28f ?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:09 AM
SrTelemaster150

"You can't tell a book by looking @ the cover". This is especially true of "used" engines.

I bought a "used" FA-450R3 a while back. While it looked great on the outside, it was a basket case on the inside.

Tear it down & have a good look @ the innards.

It it may self destruct on start up if you don't. That FA-450R3certainly would have.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 AM
slamn sammy

LOL, Man l got some of thows! l try to get her to work on stuff! Shes got three airplanes (That she will not let me fly) the last one was a RCAF Chipmunch 81in ws (it's in the gallery on RCU, plane & cockpit under 'Shes a red head') she atill walks the walk & talks the talk, BUT!! l bought ger this l Pad and all we't out the window? Will not even go to the field. Dam* (FaceBook Games) l got planes all over the house, She still has the love for aircraft, She..... We finished the Chipy & l knew that it would get flown that munch, l put Mag, 120 twocycle on it & after 5Mo, of cussen it she bought it a DLE 20 RA, fluw it one time, now it's a hanger qeeen. Cooler weather ic coming and she will be back out there. Shes as bad as l am for buying modlel's! l got that Saito 50 soaking apart in a vat, may get her to put it back togather! Thanks for the info on the prop's! l'll try one. P.S. the BT13 is her's! LOL....... That makes four?

Last edited by slamn sammy; 07-01-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: dee,dee,dee
Old 07-01-2014, 02:17 PM
FNQFLYER

Pope, try Col Taylors site. Not as good as when Col owned it but bargains do turn up and some days the individuals at Monaro Hobbies (new owners) actually want to talk deals. Would you like me to try and source a "cheap one" for you?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

I can't seem to find any selection of mufflers for the Saito FA100. There must be some way to adapt other mufflers to the Saito. Or maybe some info on how to build your own mufflers and exhaust pipes. I found a couple of mufflers but $75.00 seems a little high to me especially for a muffler that does not even increase performance.

I'm wondering if any members of the Saito Club have found solutions to this shortage. The header pipe is 12x1mm. Has anyone found something that will screw to that to extend the exhaust out of the cowl? Is there some sort of tubing that will slip over the header pipe?

Bob
Old 07-02-2014, 12:14 AM
the pope

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Pope, try Col Taylors site. Not as good as when Col owned it but bargains do turn up and some days the individuals at Monaro Hobbies (new owners) actually want to talk deals. Would you like me to try and source a "cheap one" for you?
Thanks anyway for your kind offer FNQ but the moment has passed . I already own one N.I.B. and when I spotted it cheap as , thoughts of a twin flashed through the popes brain . As I said in a earlier post I have since got other stuff from tower being some H.V. servos and a uproar kit so the pope is broke . Truth be known I need another engine like a hole in the head but i cant help myself . Cheers the pope

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.