Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pete, do you think a Weatherby 460 Magnum would keep this on topic? My 1995 F-150 has the air intake under the forward edge of the hood.

Outside of the TurboHeader and the C&H Ignition I haven't seen anything that would enhance a Saito's performance. Some things are just so simple and straight forward that improvements are hard to come by.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shootin a 460 weatherby magnum scrambles most peoples senses for quite some time,are you serious ?
Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 AM
Hobbsy

No sir Pete, I wuz a-funnin you a little. We used to get my Dad a new Stoeger Shooters Bible every year for Christmas. At one time I new it from cover to cover. Weatherby 460 muzzle velocity==2,600 fps, energy leaving muzzle==7,504 foot lbs. @ 500 grain slug.
A friend of mine said I was a walking encyclopedia of worthless knowledge.

What I know about Saitos seems be under debate. What do you think of my mount for an IronBay regulator on a Saito 2.20? John at IronBay wasn't sure that the regulator would flow enough fuel for the 2.20 but it did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 2.20 with IronBay.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	2013007  
Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 AM
slamn sammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one for you, I KNOW,I KNOW! It's not a Satio, But! Let's see how all you rocket sinaest (DON'T IF I SPELL'D THAT RIGHT) are. I got a tween and I have Air ducks and a baffel and one cylinder is running 100* hotter than the other, one is running 180-187* and the other is running 280-287, What you think? 32:1 oil! The cooler one in the rear? GO! LOL.....
Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Pete, do you think a Weatherby 460 Magnum would keep this on topic? My 1995 F-150 has the air intake under the forward edge of the hood.

Outside of the TurboHeader and the C&H Ignition I haven't seen anything that would enhance a Saito's performance. Some things are just so simple and straight forward that improvements are hard to come by.

How ow many RADIAL Saitos have you worked with?

That is what I repeatedly cite. That Radials will be the type of engine mist likely to benefit from cold air induction rather than pulling hot air from inside the cowl.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
I got one for you, I KNOW,I KNOW! It's not a Satio, But! Let's see how all you rocket sinaest (DON'T IF I SPELL'D THAT RIGHT) are. I got a tween and I have Air ducks and a baffel and one cylinder is running 100* hotter than the other, one is running 180-187* and the other is running 280-287, What you think? 32:1 oil! The cooler one in the rear? GO! LOL.....
That is quite typical of the flat twin or boxer engine configuration for two stroke engines. The left cylinder winds up with a un-natural air-fuel mixture flow through it, which causes that cylinder to run more lean. You have to richen up the mixture more as a compromise in order to keep both cylinders running OK. Thus one side runs more rich and the other side tends to be more lean. You can alleviate the problem by flipping the left cylinder around so the exhaust faces up while the right cylinder exhaust faces down. That then has the air-fuel mixture flow through the engine come out about the same. Then the two cylinders run much more closely together for temperature. But people tend to consider the engines more ugly looking like that though.

They have some videos up on Youtube. The guy who fired the .600 Nitro Express was in for a shock. The video of the guys firing the monster guns like the .577 Tyrannosaur was almost comical with the pain it was producing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrImp-ek3bI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-scFZql5k

this was funny a pro hunter fell over shooting a .416 Rigby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvJXWqqwIpc

Of course it is totally off the wall but a company actually makes revolvers (handguns) that shoot the .600 Nitro Express too.
But carrying a 13.5 pound revolver on your hip is not going to work for very long. Of course it might be handy for thick brush where you might walk up on a bull elephant or a Cape Buffaloe in a bad mood, or maybe that T-Rex that just snuck up behind you.
http://www.guns.com/2012/02/17/the-p...nitro-express/

Last edited by Hobbsy; 07-10-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Hobbsy

Dan, I had a Saito .90 triple for several years, it wore a Keleo ring exhaust. It was on a BTE Flying King with the cowl cheeks cut off.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 07-10-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Drawing from my past once again, hot and high (my experience here was with B727 and 737 a/c) was more of a problem than cold for power repeat power but we hated cold cause the engine (no matter what type) would stop if it got cold enough. That being said I have noticed on numerous occassions (in Cairns) the moisture forming on the intake tube of both single and twin Saitos. The engines thus tuned (a little rich, but not screaming lean) all performed ok. Methinks people are over thinking this. You are not in the competitive flying mode just sports type flyers. As my mate says when I get like this (over egging the issue) get out to the shed and do some building. That being said I agree with Snr and blw with their statements
I do a lot of touch and goes. I have had many a flame out and unplanned landing as my Saito 80 choked on carburetor ice on humid days. Took me a few times to isolate the problem, but the key was the water on the outside of the updraft tube when I got to the airplane. I never found a great solution other than a chunk of wire wrapped around the jug and the updraft tube to the jug because partial power take offs just were not on my agenda. With the wire connection in the lee of the jug just enough heat to prevent the formation of the ice was transferred.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Dan, I had a Saito .90 triple for several years, it wore a Keleo ring exhaust. It was on a BTE Flying King with the cowl cheeks cut off.
"With the cowl cheeks cut off".
Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Rudolph Hart

Hey dave that looks like a good setup with the ironbay regulator,did you tune as normal and then fit it?

I have an fa220 inverted in a 74" percival mew gull that is yet to fly.The 24oz fuel tank is about an inch high so will be fitting a cline regulator,also hoping that the cline will not restrict fuel flow as they don't hesitate to throw a prop when that happens as you know.

Acdii how about donating your fa1.00 for some target practice down under??

A quick look at gun ownership figures here will sink your maths popey,lots of us grew up hunting and fishing,in fact you can shoot fish if your keen enough..ask me how
Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck, when I lived in Arizona, I remember getting off the school bus, running home, grabbing my rifle or shotgun and heading out to a large open desert area and going rabbit or dove hunting many years ago. The last time I went back to see relatives in Arizona, I drove by where I used to live and it is all totally developed now, the desert is all gone. Of course that was many years ago now.

I need to put my ol'Saito .80 on something again soon. it is itching to go flying some more.

Last edited by earlwb; 07-10-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Hobbsy

With the cowl cheeks cut off, that's the only way it would go on there. And, there were no worries.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 AM
blw

We, uh, got a little too far off the path and I made the decision to delete a few posts before someone else made that decision for me. I have to say this is a first for me. I deleted 2 of my own posts as well. It may not seem fair sometimes to have a moderator delete something you wrote but deleting my own contributions to the chatter seemed the only fair way to do it.

Personally, I enjoy just about everything that gets talked about in the Club Saito thread and admit that I am a big offender when someone complains about being off topic. Just so everyone knows that I'm not trying to say anybody did anything wrong, but this was a point where it seemed very prudent to pick a neutral point in the talk and keep it more in line with, uh, there was guns, and fishing with guns, and then gun rules, then the Constitution.......maybe cutting off cheeks was a good place to derail the side tracking.......

Anyway, sorry if this has offended anybody. I tried to spread it out including my own posts. I'm all for picking back up where the fun left off......

edit to add: I gotta admit the fishing with a gun was my favorite!

Last edited by blw; 07-11-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Nah you were just gunning for a reason to do it, thats all. It was a bit off topic, shoot, don't even recall how it got fired off here anyways. Any way thanks for killing some of my time.

And yes I am a punny person.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Hobbsy

Barry, I got a shipment of BOLLY props from Dar today, a 9.5x6 and a 10.5x6 for the Saito .30, an 11.5x6 for the old FA .40, a 13.5x6 for the Saito .80 and .62 and a 13.5.x8 for the Saito?. I'll post numbers here when I get them, I can't fly until about the middle of September, I need my right eye lens replaced. Not trusting of a fuzzy plane look.

I tried to find a picture of the cowl cheek thing but my picture software crashed a few years ago. I found a lot of them by searching RCU and other sites.
Early on I set the right cowl cheek up to be removable so I could install a Saito TS .90 by sliding the left cylinder through a cutout in the left cowl cheek then the right cowl cheek was screwed on with screws going into a basswood block. When I installed the .90 Saito triple, I just cut the cheeks off completely.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 07-11-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Rudolph Hart

Understood barry and there's an upside to everything..it removed popey's anti gun diatribe

Dave back on to saito's...i'll ask you again.Did you tune the fa220 as per normal and then fit the ironbay regulator?

ps yes acdii you are a punny person
Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM
acdii

So picked up a 14x10 MA Scimitar, should be fine for the 100 on the P-51, right?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Rudolph Hart

Might be a bit big tho the 115 swings it well.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 PM
FNQFLYER

Hobbsy, were those Bolly props the carbob fibre (black) ones or the baby poo yellow clubman series. If the carbon fibre, I use the 13.5x6 on my duration model powered by a YS 63 are they are very good, make sure you balance them well though and check for voids (there has been an odd report or 2 about this (carbon fibre) though I have neve experienced it myself.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM
FNQFLYER

On the cold air induction thing, I picked up a tip from Roger Penske in my younger days. He put a container a round the intake of the V8's in his Transam care that was filled with dry ice every time he raced in hot localities. Supposedly improved fuel consumption and gave them a bit of a power boost. Food for thought. I have not though others have experienced icing up of Saito carbies. Texaco events (slow running engines) in southern climes had this problem a lot, us banana benders used to use tin foil to defect hot air from engine to around the carby. I used to use the exhaust pressure line directed onto the carby fixed the problem
Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Might be a bit big tho the 115 swings it well.
I thought it was you who recommended I use a 14x10 with the 100 in my Mustang. Too lazy to go back and check though.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:55 PM
blw

Dave, be sure and pass my "howdy" on to ol' Dar. I have a few Clubman Bollies that he sent me a few years back. The 10.5" was a bust on the Evolution I tried it on. I still have a 11.5x7 and a 12.5x something to try out.

FNQFlyer, W8YE told me a lot about intake icing and/or condensation. I think he went through it years ago. Also, he knew someone who had good luck with using a wrap to keep the intake manifold warmer. He may jump here in with all his wisdom.

About deleting comments- I'm chaffing at having my 2 cents getting the ax too. I did come up with a witty and poignant comment, but it didn't escape censorship. Trust me, The Pope got put in his place.

Dave, the Flying King is a tough old tank. We had one at the field that survived beating after beating, and kept on flying. I was impressed. You can go back and redo cheeks, or anything else and make it look good. A Saito 80 pulls those around pretty good too.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by acdii
I thought it was you who recommended I use a 14x10 with the 100 in my Mustang. Too lazy to go back and check though.
Well don't be too lazy to tune it properly now ya hear?

ps think i said 14x8
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Well don't be too lazy to tune it properly now ya hear?

ps think i said 14x8
With the way it has been running, very reluctant to touch the needles. It runs so nice from idle to WOT that I don't want to muck it up/
Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 AM
the pope

Originally Posted by blw
Dave, be sure and pass my "howdy" on to ol' Dar. I have a few Clubman Bollies that he sent me a few years back. The 10.5" was a bust on the Evolution I tried it on. I still have a 11.5x7 and a 12.5x something to try out.

FNQFlyer, W8YE told me a lot about intake icing and/or condensation. I think he went through it years ago. Also, he knew someone who had good luck with using a wrap to keep the intake manifold warmer. He may jump here in with all his wisdom.

About deleting comments- I'm chaffing at having my 2 cents getting the ax too. I did come up with a witty and poignant comment, but it didn't escape censorship. Trust me, The Pope got put in his place.

Dave, the Flying King is a tough old tank. We had one at the field that survived beating after beating, and kept on flying. I was impressed. You can go back and redo cheeks, or anything else and make it look good. A Saito 80 pulls those around pretty good too.
Why what did the pope say that was wrong ???? Putting me in my place , that wont work trust me . Unfortunately I had a paragraph which for the pope is like a essay and someone called on the phone and it got lost in cyber space . So the web censored my bit which would have put u in your place . As for Old Fart your a dick !!! I still cant see whats so great about blasting the crap out of something but if its your bag go for it And you know what they say about cops , there too lazy to work and too scared to steal .

Last edited by blw; 07-13-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.