Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 08-22-2014, 06:36 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
Oh Ya! She told me to stop stripping flying planes to get a nuttier one flying! LOL. She bought a 20cc Sbach yesterday. l asked her "Are you going to build it?" She said "NO"! Are you going to fly it? She said "NO" So l asked her "Why did you buy it? She said "l like to see you fly and you and l always wonted a Sbach ever cents they came out" The funny part she barter'd him down! It 's a Goldwing 20cc plane new in box. l'm so lucky! LOL She spent $1500.00 one year for airplanes for Christmas one year. She stop'ed taking me to Wall Mart because l spend to much $, BUT! l'm going to make sure l take her to the hobby shop every time l go. LOL All l did for her yesterday was feed her. Funny??? l must be doing something right. I was just going to buy a magazine! HAY! l need some servos. "Honey, l need to go to the hobby shop, Want to go? LOL..... Later there Oldfart! Thanks For The Come Back!
Dude, you and I have the same type of wife! LOL

On the FG-11, I didn't think it was a typo, was just curious, and now it makes perfect sense. Now to find me some good 2 cycle oil, the stuff I use on my DLE is full synthetic and I dont think that will work well for break in on this one. Stihl makes some good oil, but its 50:1 per bottle, two would be 25:1, so maybe 2 1/2 bottles to a gallon? Thoughts? Dont say amsoil since I can't buy that at the store, and plan to run the engine tomorrow. I can get Stihl just about anywhere.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 AM
slamn sammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Dude, you and I have the same type of wife! LOL

On the FG-11, I didn't think it was a typo, was just curious, and now it makes perfect sense. Now to find me some good 2 cycle oil, the stuff I use on my DLE is full synthetic and I dont think that will work well for break in on this one. Stihl makes some good oil, but its 50:1 per bottle, two would be 25:1, so maybe 2 1/2 bottles to a gallon? Thoughts? Dont say amsoil since I can't buy that at the store, and plan to run the engine tomorrow. I can get Stihl just about anywhere.
Ya, don't use a synthetic to brake one in! Also! On the DLEs don't try to run it rich. It will wash out the ring. set it just like the way your going to fly it and just fly it, BUT! Don't trash it till at least one flight, then fly it like you stoled it and it will last for ever! l have one of the first DL50's that is has to be at least? five or six years old. It runs like new. Stihl is good oil, just hard to find here. Cost a lot. l try not to be cheep, just retired. All l use is 32-1 oil from Wal Mart. And as for as my woman, Shes retired Air Force F4 engine tech. Shes PLANE CRAZZZZZEEEEEEEEE Too. Keep it in the air and her happy!

Last edited by slamn sammy; 08-22-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 AM
acdii

My DLE20 runs great, had a little tuning issue a few weeks back due to high humidity, but once I got it right it ran like a raped ape. I have 2 gallons through it, 20 minutes per 14 ounce tank, lots of flying, and it just got broke in. Can't wait to hear this new engine going, love the 4 stroke sound and the Saito sound even more.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by acdii
My DLE20 runs great, had a little tuning issue a few weeks back due to high humidity, but once I got it right it ran like a raped ape. I have 2 gallons through it, 20 minutes per 14 ounce tank, lots of flying, and it just got broke in. Can't wait to hear this new engine going, love the 4 stroke sound and the Saito sound even more.
I got the DLE 20RA, 35RA, two 55's and that DL50, there grate engines! l'm fixing to buy that RCCG? 26cc from Hobby King for $137.00. My Vice President of our club bought one and he's got it on a SeaGull PT19 and for a cheep motor, it runs grate! I'm going to put it on this plane my wife bought yesterday! Ck, out HK motors. They have a 53cc tween for $337.00. l want. =-)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Gents, we should herd this discussion back to Saitos please, Thanks, Dave
Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They always wander back home, Dave. It's sort of interesting to watch how it happens at times, and seeing all the twisting paths guys take to get back to Saitos. Just an opinion my fellow moderator friend.......and only for when it isn't fussing or cussing and doesn't take too long.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 AM
aggieman

Let me ask you guy's something.I have looked at several Saito sizes of engines on the Horrizon Hobbies site,and engines from size .72 to at least 1.25 you always have one or two people having pretty bad problems like factory flaws in assembly,my question is ,are there certain size Saito's that I need to stay away from ,or whats the real deal(the reason being, I plan on making some future larger engine purchases but didn't know what to be cautious of) thanks guy's.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Hobbsy

Where did you get this info, I don't think you found it here, a flawed Saito is very rare. You'd be safe with any of them. There are more flawed owners than flawed engines..
Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150

SNIP

Why would the same engine require 5% lube with gas when it requires 20% with methanol being delivered at nearly twice the fuel volume? That's 8 x the oil volume.
Because gasoline is oily to begin with. Also the air:fuel ratios are different.

CR

Last edited by Charley; 08-22-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by blw
They always wander back home, Dave. It's sort of interesting to watch how it happens at times, and seeing all the twisting paths guys take to get back to Saitos. Just an opinion my fellow moderator friend.......and only for when it isn't fussing or cussing and doesn't take too long.

Maybe I ;let my utter aversion to anything gasoline influence me. I am glad they have their own Forum.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
aggieman

HOBBSY click on a certain engine and hit review's, now I do understand that a lot of the times people that only have a issue regardless of the severity only post on review's.You actually made me feal better when you said "a flawed Saito is very rare" being that I am new to the 4-stroke world that is why I ask, and you know what they say,"if you don't ask you don't learn" thanks for being patient with me on some of my questions.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:46 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Maybe I ;let my utter aversion to anything gasoline influence me. I am glad they have their own Forum.
Well, I gotta hand it to you. Good point there. I'm getting old I guess if I missed that part.

Saitos are high quality engines and I don't think anybody has ever doubted that. Quality control seems to be excellent from all that I've heard or read about Saitos.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Charley
Because gasoline is oily to begin with. Also the air:fuel ratios are different.

CR
You mean to tell me that gas is 8 times oilier than the actual lube?

The A/F ratios for methanol are almost 1/2 that if gasoline (twice as much fuel) so let's just use 2:1 for simplification.

For a given WOT run of similar duration (X) in similar glow fuel/gas engines.

10oz of glow fuel @ 20% lube = 2oz of lube for X.

5oz go 20:1 gas mix = .24oz of lube for X.

The glow fuel engine supplied 8 X as much lube during X. Add the fact that the glow fuel engine will be running dramatically cooler than the gas engine.

I suspect that there is more than just "lubrication" involved in the extremely high oil content of glow fuel. Perhaps the glow ignition has something to do with it?

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 08-22-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by aggieman
HOBBSY click on a certain engine and hit review's, now I do understand that a lot of the times people that only have a issue regardless of the severity only post on review's.You actually made me feal better when you said "a flawed Saito is very rare" being that I am new to the 4-stroke world that is why I ask, and you know what they say,"if you don't ask you don't learn" thanks for being patient with me on some of my questions.
I bought a "flawed" Saito .45 MK2 back when it was a new release. It would dead stick after burning 1/2 of the tank of fuel. I sent it off to the authorized service center in the DFW area. AIR, it was P&P Enterprises at the time; then it was switched to A&M Aircraft. Or maybe it was the other way 'round; been a long time. Anyhoo, the engine came back in a couple of weeks with a note which said the cam timing was retarded a couple of teeth. Apparently it was an assembly error the service center was used to seeing now and then.

I put it back in the airplane (Ace 4-40) and it ran great after that. I still have the engine.

CR
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
SrTelemaster150

Where did you get this info, I don't think you found it here, a flawed Saito is very rare. You'd be safe with any of them. There are more flawed owners than flawed engines..
An assembly flaw in a Saito is rare & the design is not flawed when glow fuel is employed.

Start running gasoline in an engine originally designed for glow fuel and then there can be significant design flaws.

Many of the guys running FG-84R3s are experiencing rod journal seizure when running 20:1 gas/oil mix. Bronze bushings are being adapted & the gas/oil mix ratio is reduced to 15:1. (More oil)
Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with Saito engines is limited to 3. Only one of them was almost new. I never had trouble with any of them except lack of experience/knowledge and that got remedied with help from this forum. When I read what others say in the "User Reviews" now, I can sometimes glean what the real problem is, usually user error. The biggest complaint I read is excessive vibrations, which typically means the engine is running too rich. Other times the complaint is the engine quits, that usually means it's too lean. So, when reading the reviews, we have to factor in that the writers are still learning. Heck, I sometimes go back to my reviews and realize how much I learned in the past 7 years.

By the way, I never use spell checker, it is a bad crutch. Get your brain working!!!! It will help you when you are older. I have to credit the great education system of the State of Texas for my good spelling. Now grammar and punctuation is another issue.

Last edited by hsukaria; 08-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Charley

All I told you is that gasoline is oily to begin with. Also mentioned the A/F ratios. In your argument you're treating it like a linear function, which I doubt it is. Anyway, you asked a question & I provided an answer. Not going to argue about it.

CR
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM
aggieman

looking at purchasing the .72 or the .82, I think maybe the .82 because both weight 17.6 oz. with muffler to put in my BTE Venture 60,any thoughts on that?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by aggieman
looking at purchasing the .72 or the .82, I think maybe the .82 because both weight 17.6 oz. with muffler to put in my BTE Venture 60,any thoughts on that?
The 82 is the way to go, IMHO. Same weight with extra punch. I have an 82 and it is about the same size of the OS 70 Surpass II with much greater torque (the OS 70 Surpass is a great engine BTW). I installed it on a Great Planes U Can Do 46 with no limit to the performance except my own flying skills. It can spin a 14x6 prop all day long.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 PM
hsukaria

Anybody have a Saito 100 they want to sell? I need one used in good shape and reasonably priced.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:45 PM
aggieman

thanks for that tidbit HSUKARIA that's probably the way I will go
Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 PM
FNQFLYER

On Saito reliability. Read the manual/data provided with the engine, don't second guess until you have heaps of experience or deep pockets. Look at the problems the Americains had with the FG20 (here in OZ we changed the carby) caused so much bad blood Saito dropped it and introduced the Fg21. My experience with using them for both sports and competition is that the only problems I have had (if you can call them that) have been of my own making and I have usually paid the appropriate penalties, both to finances and ego. Like a previous correspondent I don't use a spell checker (but you must excuse my keyboard when it drifts to its femine side). Of to do "battle" with model a/c officialdom today, as I progress to OAP status it is one form of sport I really enjoy..
Old 08-22-2014, 03:47 PM
acdii

I mixed 16:1, thinking back that is what the old 2 stroke wackers used. I think the main difference in glow to gas lube is the oil itself. Glow fuel is thinner than gas too. Another thing I noticed, this is a 4 stroke, the the higher oil content is needed to get to the lower end, where the DLE is a 2 stroke so the fuel/oil runs through the crankcase first. I picked up Lucas Oil which is pretty good oil. The place I would get the Stihl from was closed by the time I got there, so stopped at O'Rielys instead.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Rudolph Hart

Gents, we should herd this discussion back to Saitos please, Thanks, Dave
Dave you asked so nicely,that's the biggest saito response i have ever seen here.
ps is fnq right? do keyboards have a male(testosterone) and female(hormonal) side to them? i'll have to look at mine more closely.Can't argue about glow fuel smelling much nicer than gas.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Hobbsy

I just can't let loose of my 4 stroke addiction, I do have a single non Saito 4 stroke, an ancient Enya .46 MKII that has flown almost as many planes as my Saitos all put together. To be fair it started sooner. MY Saito .80 would be next in the planes and hours flown record.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-23-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.