Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Yeah, I end up removing most of the wheel pants, except the bigger planes becaue of that. I install them for picture taking, then remove them to fly.
Same here, didn't even bother with the chipmunk. The only one that should be OK is my Extra 330 with 5" wheels.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM
aviation421
My Feedback: (68)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one know where I can get a copy of the manual for a Saito 90T?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviation421
Thanks
If it's the uneven firing 90T it will be similar to the FA-100T.

SAITO TWIN CYLINDER MANUAL
Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by blw
We fly year round here. The heat bothers me some as I'm getting older and was on some meds for a while. Some guys fly early but I think late afternoon is when the air is the best in the summer. Winter is no problem. Sometimes, it gets windy in the winter.

Some of the riders around here pay more for their costumes than my wife does in a year of shopping. A few months ago I was cruising on the Interstate with my wife and a son in the car. I saw these two dots in the rear view mirror getting bigger real fast. I didn't say a word. It was two beautiful Ninjas coming full throttle. No idea how fast they were flying but it looked like mach 1 to me. They roared past in the left lane, and the wife and son jumped out of their skins. It was almost like a shock wave. heh heh

It sounds like you ride like I used to. Wide open on twisty roads and out in the country. Big, heavy iron bikes can't keep up. I out ran a biker gang once on a puny little Kawasaki. They turned and started chasing me and I ran for my life. They would almost get up on me on the straightaways, but I would leave them in all the curves. The curves saved me that day as they finally gave up after a long way. They were a mean looking bunch too and I was a scared teenager.

I mostly used the flat plastic wrap arounds that snapped on the classic white Bell helmet. Sometimes I would forget to take it.
Yes i remember those flat plastic wrap around visors,awful to look through,times have changed for the better and if you were riding a kawasaki mach 3 at the time the smokescreen would have helped too

Av you can google the manual on a big rc website,the 90t has a beautiful offbeat sounds.

Jeffie how's that 62 going? it's the only saito i ever sold regretted it ever since.

Dave i had a chance to start a 150 for the first time a fair while back and like most people i use a glove or chicken stick and flick it backwards.I liked the way that engine would give you a few smacks on the hand to get your full attention.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 AM
skypup50

Originally Posted by aviation421
Thanks
Just wondering. Did you buy the one on ebay? If so, it seemed like a good price.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:30 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...20Mk%20II.html

Here is very thorough test of the .90T.

Pete, the 1.50 does demand respect., the back flip is the best way to start on e with a glow plug. On spark plug a half hearted flip will do it.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:33 AM
slamn sammy

What hoppened to the pages 997-1003?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
What hoppened to the pages 997-1003?

OF had the munchies?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pages 997 - 1103 are still there. I was just on them. Not all pages are shown, so you have to get to a nearby page and then go up/down from there.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:05 AM
aviation421

Originally Posted by skypup50
Just wondering. Did you buy the one on ebay? If so, it seemed like a good price.
Hi, no I bought it from RCUniverse...here,,,
How much was it on Ebay? I paid $225 for mine and converted it to gas.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:16 AM
aviation421

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
If it's the uneven firing 90T it will be similar to the FA-100T.

SAITO TWIN CYLINDER MANUAL
Hi, yes it is the uneven firing....
Thank you
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by acdii
OF had the munchies?
Yup..i blame it on arkansas polio weed growin wild in the backyard.

Trying to get everything organised with the edge 540 so i can finally fire the fg57 up and fly it,it's got shotgun pipes and will sound sweet.Because it runs gas it stinks a bit but boy does it sound like a real saito twin,better than my 182 and i like the sound of that on flybys in the h9 taylorcraft,looks nice too.

Sammy your doing some research ?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Fart

Trying to get everything organised with the edge 540 so i can finally fire the fg57 up and fly it,it's got shotgun pipes and will sound sweet.Because it runs gas it stinks a bit but boy does it sound like a real saito twin,better than my 182 and i like the sound of that on flybys in the h9 taylorcraft,looks nice too.

He's probably cleaning his fuel nipples.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by Old Fart

Ever wake up only to find out it's time to take out the trash and you where thinking you just took it out yesterday? (Lost Time- Senior Moment) Retirement Sucks! No Money, No Fun, Someones Sun!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by hsukaria
He's probably cleaning his fuel nipples.
Think l went to the Universe?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:37 PM
FNQFLYER

Sammy I spent the last 10 years of a very intensive life accumulating "goodies" as did my wife. She has a heap of sewing gear, and fabric from our shop which we closed last year. Me I "accumulated" some 50 kits (the ones you build) numerous plans (I have a local kit cutter) and a lot of Saitos and some other "hot engines", mostly new but some acquired from various trades like my ED Racer with the drum intake. Like you I have little money and am about to become an OAP (old aged pensioner) next week. I consider myself lucky to be surrounded by like minded people and the means to continue my hobby and activities for some time to come. Enjoy the day take the best from it and keep on keeping on. Grow old and spend your kids inheritance. Thought for the day. Why is it a simple job like putting a new R/x and engine into an a/c takes so long. My last effort took 9 hours to refit the engine and get the 2.4 gig thingy to work. Why???
Old 09-24-2014, 03:54 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Sammy I spent the last 10 years of a very intensive life accumulating "goodies" as did my wife. She has a heap of sewing gear, and fabric from our shop which we closed last year. Me I "accumulated" some 50 kits (the ones you build) numerous plans (I have a local kit cutter) and a lot of Saitos and some other "hot engines", mostly new but some acquired from various trades like my ED Racer with the drum intake. Like you I have little money and am about to become an OAP (old aged pensioner) next week. I consider myself lucky to be surrounded by like minded people and the means to continue my hobby and activities for some time to come. Enjoy the day take the best from it and keep on keeping on. Grow old and spend your kids inheritance. Thought for the day. Why is it a simple job like putting a new R/x and engine into an a/c takes so long. My last effort took 9 hours to refit the engine and get the 2.4 gig thingy to work. Why???
Well said

Bob
Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
It takes me even longer than that and I am not retired yet. I savor the experience as I work on the planes.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:17 PM
jamesroutledge

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I ran the 1.00 Saito equipped with the same C&H Ignition I ran on the 1.50, timing set at precisely 35 degrees btdc. I think the combination of 35 degrees and the 15% fuel is a bit much. It has a definite Diesel rattle above 7,000 rpm and at 9,700 with a Graupner 14x7 it unexpectedly kicked the prop off. On a second run with a ProZinger 15x6 it turned 9,500 and still had the knock/rattle. It sounds exactly like an over compressed Diesel conversion. I'll have to think tank with Dan. I did have to lean the LS needle about a half turn to get below 1,500 on the idle. The problem with the Hall Effect bracket I made is the only way to change the timing is to move the prop driver and it almost always moves itself after you've had it off. Thinking, thinking
Hobbsy, I don't like to contradict the knowledgeable folks on this thread, but I've just gone through a lengthly process of trying to get one of the early (notorious) FG20's to run properly. I replaced the carb with a new FG21 carb, but still had problems, so replaced the ignition system with a CRRC cheapie system. I followed the 35 degrees advice on this thread when timing the spark, but found the engine to be "bitey" when starting it and rattled if the mixture was set a bit lean. I backed the timing off to 28 degrees, lost a few hundred rpm, but she behaves like an angel now.

Last edited by jamesroutledge; 09-24-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Rudolph Hart

Really good info james saito hq should have got a spanking over that.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

James are you running gas? Then you should be running 28 degrees. They are using methanol.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:05 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
Think l went to the Universe?
Only the rc kind sammy,keep your chin up mate as fnq says.Bloody well written trev i did'nt know what oap meant just assumed it was something to do with the saito engines/hobby we all talk about here.You are right we can't have good days tuning saito's without bad ones,otherwise all your engines would always be tuned perfectly soo..no need for this forum or any other,how boring is that ?

Huk i spent a month on and off trying to figure how i could fit/squash a 115 into a midget,i have to add the word mustang or someone will make a bad joke,could be me anyhow,by the time i had it figured out minus the small do it as you go details it still took 3 nights work.That was engine only.If you are retired why rush or worry,spent all your life up to now doing just that and running saito's is spare change time wise.

Sammy over here we call taking the trash out 'bin day'
Don't forget to take the bin out ok ?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Those goodies we collect come in handy. I've had many hobbies since my early 20's. Photography, repairing/collecting old AM and AM/FM radios, big military surplus HF radios for shortwave, stereo equipment, metal detecting, computers, and r/c. My wife doesn't understand the shelves of gear and boxes of parts in the basement, but I keep telling her "it's a basement and no big deal". I'm also retired. My part time job at the University appears to be permanently over, so it's a fixed income now for us. I get my first social security check next month.

I know we all talk about our old kits, engines, etc but other people want that stuff too. Even if they don't, if you want it then it's valuable. If you aren't becoming a true hoarder, then I say don't toss it out. Keep it if it means something to you and you have room for it.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:36 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by blw
Those goodies we collect come in handy. I've had many hobbies since my early 20's. Photography, repairing/collecting old AM and AM/FM radios, big military surplus HF radios for shortwave, stereo equipment, metal detecting, computers, and r/c. My wife doesn't understand the shelves of gear and boxes of parts in the basement, but I keep telling her "it's a basement and no big deal". I'm also retired. My part time job at the University appears to be permanently over, so it's a fixed income now for us. I get my first social security check next month.

I know we all talk about our old kits, engines, etc but other people want that stuff too. Even if they don't, if you want it then it's valuable. If you aren't becoming a true hoarder, then I say don't toss it out. Keep it if it means something to you and you have room for it.
Yeah, I have been hoarding mufflers for my model engines. They are small enough, however, that the wife hasn't noticed, yet. Every engine I own has an average of 2-3 mufflers, some more. I need to learn how to start making my own. I have one that I pieced together with JB Weld, so far holding up.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:46 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Just like all of our other hot topic things, it's a hobby and hobbies are for pure enjoyment. If you enjoy the mufflers, go for it. Sort of makes my day to hear that you have something you like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.