Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

One little item I missed until now on the FA .45. The rocker shaft is locked to the rocker arm with a grub screw, the shaft pivots in the rocker stands. The rocker pins appear to be quite large.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito FA .40 ring (Small) (2).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2038528  
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Funny, just got an email notice of a post, but it was from a post weeks ago.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Pete, there is a reason that the .45 is better looking, the rocker covers have little wings on them. They are not interchangeable.
Interesting and nice looking little touch.

OF- you have to pick your moments and locations wisely for fun. I have a few places around here where 15 seconds of adrenaline is safe to enjoy. There's no such thing as a wise Mustang driver, so they pick some crazy spots in the road for running up on me to race. So far, all have regretted it, but one will get me one day, I'm sure. Open roads like Dave mentioned always lends to fast cruises if you have good views, etc. I guess horse manure would ruin your day if you had it leaned over, cranking down hard on the throttle in the turn, and the front wheel slipped right over that stuff. Do you guys have the Valentine One over there. I know it has international settings for various radar frequencies overseas.

Dave, I have my 82 ready to fly in a new pattern kit I built. I have about 50 minutes of run time on the bench and the engine impressed me so much that I gave it a lot of WOT time. If I can get over this cold I would like to set the needles at home tomorrow and go flying Friday. I have a feeling this engine will be the best I've had. It almost begs for more throttle and wants to idle low.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:52 AM
SrTelemaster150

Pete, there is a reason that the .45 is better looking, the rocker covers have little wings on them. They are not interchangeable.

Looks to me like non-winged present day rocker covers might fit.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Hobbsy

Dan, I'll have to swap them with the FA .40 MKII and see.

Barry, I bought two .62s when they first came, they were both like that, but I put them through my little 50 minute program anyway.

I put the new C&H equipment on the 1.00 a while a go, I made my own piston stop and had already made the vacuum adapter to hold it at TDC.

Name:	C&H new 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2038579  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 10-08-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 PM
SrTelemaster150

Dan, I'll have to swap them with the FA .40 MKII and see.

Barry, I bought two .62s when they first came, they were both like, but6 I put them through my little 50 minute program anyway.

I put the new C&H equipmant on the 1.00 a whiue a go, I made my own piston stop and had already made the vacuum adapter to hold it at TDC.
Looks a lot like my home made piston stop.

Do you verify the TDC reading W/the stop? It should read the same in both directions if TDC is true.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Hobbsy

No sir, I just pulled the vacuum on the combustion chamber, I would then rotate it a few degrees one way and then the other. It literally flies back to the same spot on the degree wheel. I have Red Loctite on the piston stop threads, they can't move on their own. M4 screw. I go for my eye surgery 2nd follow up tomorrow, I might squeeze in a run tomorrow PM. Thanks
Old 10-09-2014, 02:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Best of luck with the eye.I think that is what sr was saying,do you rotate it both ways and get the same reading.Yes the rocker cover are pretty and there's other differences i like too.Anybody else like the old 45 ?

Barry that must be a quick vtec honda.I'm not familiar with the valentine one are they ok for bikes?(not toooo chatty re sensitivity) i've got cruise control in the car so i don't bother speeding.The road safety message over here is 'drink and drive safely' so i've got a foam cover wrapped around the beer can so i don't drop it,called a 'stubby holder' here.The new hand held speed cameras here can get a detail pix of whether you are wearing a seatbelt or using a mobile phone from 700+metres away,you are gone before you know it.Technology has it's downsides.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:06 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Fart I am back. This retirement is the pits. Have more to do now than before becoming an OAP. Now on that 40, (1) I never use wooden props on anything (to date) not enough strength and lack of "weight" to create "flywheel efect" means they are useless to me except for shaft running hot 2 strokes. I must say I have some antique Zoar props for a big Avro 504 kit I acquired, (2) If in doubt add a bit of nitro to see what happens re the starting problem. Both heavy props and nitro aid starting. I once put a pattern (12 x 10) APC on an ED Hunter diesel (3.46cc) just to see what it would do. It started and did about 1,000rpm flat out.
On radar detectors, there are devices here in QLD that detect the active ones so passive is the only way to go and if you know the "rigt electronic officers" easy to acquire. And of course the matter of concealment is a problem as is explaining the 2 toll transponders I have on my windscreen but no real problems to date.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:47 AM
Rudolph Hart

Trev fabian coultard is top of the time sheets before the shootout on the mountain tomorrow.

I'm still full time work and like it/need it.Had a work injury years ago had to have three months off work,i blame that on why i'm crazy now .I like the mas classic props when running a saito in because of their weight and how easy it is to see the prop tips while changing needle settings in a semi dark shed.I once flew a wooden zinger 14x6 on the fa82 not really impressed with them.Apc props smoke them.Dave is talking about an old 45 he has just received it looks awesome,bolt on head and different rocker set up wondered what you thought,have a look at the pix nobody else but barry and sr seem to plus dave is getting a bit daring and running all synthetic in that 45..set the old boy straight will ya ? not running castor would be like saying this bathurst weekend is going to be boring..what do you think ?

ps it's a ringless engine
Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Hobbsy

Hey Pete, The eye follow up went great, the Dr. impressed even himself, so much so we're doing the left eye on the 22nd. I think the WildCat full synthetic is different from all others I've tried. With others, when left to sit a couple of days the engine is bone dry inside. With the WildCat 2/4 it stays wet, (oily) inside. I am going to keep a close eye on the lube. I am going to put some through the 1.00 today and wring out the new C&H equipment.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:03 AM
acdii

Agreed on the Wildcat. None of my engines are dry after sitting, sometimes a couple weeks between flights. Good fuel, and I like the smell of it too, the Omega fuel has a nasty smell to it, and can tell when someone is using it. What I like about the Wildcat is the residue doesn't get sticky either, when I forget to clean a plane, it is still slippery a week later, not tacky and gummy. When you find something that works, stick with it. I do have 2 gallons of SIG 15% that I got for $30, but since flying season is just about over, and I still have about a quart of Wildcat left, looks like those wont be touched until next year.

That FG-11 runs good even in 50* weather, thought I had to tweak the needle a bit, so I did, then set it right back to where it was. Damned good running engine, 20 minutes on 3 ounces of fuel.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

The Honda is quick but they can be beat nowadays. The V1 counts up to 9 radar emitters, so you see radar units hiding among devices in the same frequency allocation, like automatic door openers, etc. It has a comparator section so it counts and shows emitters in front, rear, and to the side. The bike guys use the remote units that show where the radar is and how many. It's still at the top for sensitivity and accuracy. And price.

Didn't get out yesterday (or today) as a cold is still lingering. The 82 will have to wait.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Hobbsy

I am hesitant to mention this but I have 13.5 inch Progressive 440 shocks on the rear of my Sportster, the stockers were 11.75" immoveable objects. In the front I installed Progressive Fork Springs and used the included spacers at their full 3" length with BelRay 7w Fork Oil. It raised the bike about 1" I have 4.5" of travel in the front and 3.42" in the rear. The bike is completely unruffled by bumps in turns and the rear shocks have inertia activated valves, called IAS in the rear. It does not squat on take off or on hard acceleration. Hardly any fork dive when braking.

Barry, we're having that cold rain today so I didn't get to run the CDI 1.00. I made a new larger degree wheel and a better pointer. I am going to run the stock muffler then the TH. With a ZOAR 15x6

Name:	Bagger (Small).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2038925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 1.00 rebuilt 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	2038926  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 10-10-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Rudolph Hart

Never hesitate dave those suspension mods are well thought out for the way you use the bike,you're in naked ktm 990 superduke territory there,it must be very comfortable to ride friend.Nice set up in the photo you could rack up a thousand kays a day on that easy if you had to.I would'nt do that comfortably on the duke,it's not set up that softly even tho it has long legs.Do you remember those old ww2 doco's where the marines are walking out to the backlines and they meet the new marines coming in to replace them and there's a big chorus of 'you'll be sorryeeeee'.... could apply to the absence of castor mate.That's like drinking heaps of non alcoholic beer at a sitting,not really real and does'nt smell half as good when it's burnt in an engine.Have i made my point clear mr hobbs...'crystal' should be the answer

Barry i hope you come back with an ear to ear smile after flying the 82 i always do.I'm off to google some info on that v1 detector.Right now i don't like the idea that it's maybe 'noisy' and distracting at times like using a mobile while driving.Maybe trev could elaborate some on a passive detector do you think ?
Old 10-11-2014, 03:52 AM
Hobbsy

I learned my suspension stuff from riding a MAICO and reading Dirt Bike magazine. More suspension travel equals better ride and handling if well controlled. I also go against the grain, (according to other Harley riders), I run RevTech dino oil in the Sporty, it does not use a drop of it between 5,000 mile oil changes. It burns Harley's SynTech, made by CitGo, @ one quart per 500 miles.

I still have a gallon of the WildCat Premium Extra, I don't know of any way to compare the castor and non castor lube packages. The WildCat 2/4 has a very pleasant smell as somebody mentioned above. It also has excellent compression holding ability. It's currently pouring cold rain here, if it slows I'll run the 1.00 I have a brand new prop driver on the 1.00, I hope it doesn't slip on the first run.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Rudolph Hart

The first time i saw a maico 490 it scared me stiff.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Hobbsy

The editor of Dirt Bike magazine, Rick Sieman, said that if you wanted to reverse the earth's direction of rotation, take a MAICO 501, (it put a full 54 hp on the ground) place it on the equator and face it the wrong direction, then launch it in 2nd gear at full throttle. The 501 made good use of only 4 gears. You seldom needed to shift.

The Saito 1.25 is a torquer like the MAICO's were.
Dan I took your advice and checked the timing mark in both directions, it was off one way about 2 degrees, I moved the wheel one degree and then set it exactly.

Name:	maico_501_1972.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	2039082  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 10-11-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 10-11-2014, 06:09 AM
acdii

Maybe we need to change the thread title

Club Saito, or everything you now know about bikes but were afraid to ask.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Hobbsy

AC, I caved in when it was suggested to me that we treat this thread as if we were sitting around at the field bullshirting. I am still of the mind that we should keep some Saito talk in our posts. We'll see Be patient and hope it sorts itself out. I am going to look for a Saito .50 next.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:22 AM
acdii

I was joking. I mod a Fusion site, if you think this thread strays, you should see some of the ones over there! LOL

I have never been one for bikes, rode on one when I was a kid and it put me in a tree. The other time on a road bike as a passenger, scared the sheit out of me, so havent been on one since. That and me and the sun don't get along too well, so I can't even be in a convertible unless I lather up with sunscreen and wear a hat. I did entertain the thought of a Trike, until I saw what they cost. Can buy a lot of planes and Saitos for that.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:32 AM
SrTelemaster150

Just got my laptop working. Doing a photo test.

YIPEE, it's alive, it's alive!

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 10-11-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Hobbsy

It's kinda big but looks good.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 AM
SrTelemaster150

The editor of Dirt Bike magazine, Rick Sieman, said that if you wanted to reverse the earth's direction of rotation, take a MAICO 501, (it put a full 54 hp on the ground) place it on the equator and face it the wrong direction, then launch it in 2nd gear at full throttle. The 501 made good use of only 4 gears. You seldom needed to shift.

The Saito 1.25 is a torquer like the MAICO's were.
Dan I took your advice and checked the timing mark in both directions, it was off one way about 2 degrees, I moved the wheel one degree and then set it exactly.
One can do a "vacuum" TDC setting by merely closing the throttle & s-l-o-w-l-y rolling the engine through TDC on the compression stroke. The engine will stop at the "dwell" & it will rock a few ° either way. That's a good way to get in the ball park, but I still use the stop to double check. There's little error margine when the stop is used.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 10-11-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Hobbsy

Yep, the Sullivan gasoline/Diesel fuel bulb is a great vacuum pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.