Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 10-11-2014, 08:51 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I am hesitant to mention this but I have 13.5 inch Progressive 440 shocks on the rear of my Sportster, the stockers were 11.75" immoveable objects. In the front I installed Progressive Fork Springs and used the included spacers at their full 3" length with BelRay 7w Fork Oil. It raised the bike about 1" I have 4.5" of travel in the front and 3.42" in the rear. The bike is completely unruffled by bumps in turns and the rear shocks have inertia activated valves, called IAS in the rear. It does not squat on take off or on hard acceleration. Hardly any fork dive when braking.
I hope Bill comes back and haunts you for that! You can do penance by finding that front fork post of his that you deleted and reinstate it........

OF- you can turn it down. I want to hear it beep though. It catches radar before it's strong enough to radiate back unless the operator is really trying to ambush you. That's why you always pay attention to the guy in front if you are lucky to have a front man to get the first shot. If not, then drive accordingly. Defensive driving takes some thought and a few new techniques to survive unscathed when bending the rules and relying on a detector. One magazine reviewer claimed the S-2000 was designed solely for the purpose of socially irresponsible driving, and that's sums it up pretty good. There's times where it pays to look like an old man driving a change-of-life car. I don't know about the shielded oscillators in the V1. That's how they get you; they detect your crystal oscillator. Same principle for the vans in Holland and elsewhere looking for untaxed radios. I think the V1 is shielded, but you can email them and ask. However, If radar is out there it will light up an arrow for the direction and tell you how many, and type of radar long before they can 'see' you. It's saved me for years.

I didn't get out yesterday as I still felt ragged. Today it's a big, big college football day around here since we are #2 in the country and playing the #3 team of upstarts. Then, we have our much hated rivals playing a cupcake team. No flying for me.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting "stuff" here !
Old 10-11-2014, 02:16 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passive detectors "capture" the radar rays / sounds as they are operating with no emmission from the detection unit. Frequency hopping is proving a problem but 2.4gig technology assists there (adapted to the unit). To get a truly sesitive unit (1km) is difficult but not impossible especially when you avail yourself of some of the taxes we pay
Old fart Bathurst lost a bit of its appeal after the L34's and A9X's departed the scene. The current "normalisation" of designs leaves me cold. When I was playing it was run what you brung, if you didn't beat the other guy get another ride not "equalise" the rides. Bit like no body looses thing in schools..
Saito 50's mine is out of preservation and about to go flying again. The last one I had got wrapped around a construction site crane at Cheras in Malaysia. Don't ask But I think the 50 is one of the best Saitos I have ever owned alongside the 65 and I am a sucker for a decent one on offer any time. Bathurst time, flying maybe but I'll see the start and I reckon a Holden will win today but those Volvo's are good units and BTB it was good to see George Fury there. Consider a 2.36 (I think ) minute lap in a 4 cylinder Datsun (L510) (30 years ago) and compare that with a 2.06 lap from a V8 yesterday.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:45 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

I like Nissans new car, 3.8 twin turbo's. It's only 2000 hp, does quarter mile in 7.7 sec, 186 miles per hour
Old 10-12-2014, 12:57 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by acdii
Maybe we need to change the thread title

Club Saito, or everything you now know about bikes but were afraid to ask.

I like your sense of humour mate

Dave i'm not as keen on the 125 as you are maybe because i have a 115 which equals it i think,could be wrong.I've run two 125's in for flying mates and think they are a bit lazy.Maybe the 115 is cammier and that's what i like.Now,while we are at the field bullshirting as you say i'll attach a pix of the maico 490 i used to ride and another because like this thread there is always someone who wants more .I did'nt realize you came from a competition background re dirt bikes as i do.Also raced on asphalt successfully late seventies thru the eighties on production bikes and then superbikes.Barry's idea of looking like you just stepped out of confession to the law is hilarious,it works most times over here too friends.

Trev it's no fun for most people to watch a runaway win,it's a gladitorial sport and people need to see the lions fight at close quarters,it's why it is so popular now.Despite the new fencing fabian coultard bowled a kangaroo over going up mountain straight into the cutting at around 200 and something.I appreciate that from an engineers viewpoint the idea of competition is much different.I disagree with you on the saito 50,my favourites are the 82/30 and 62 in that order.Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	maico_490.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	2039288   Click image for larger version

Name:	maico.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	2039289  
Old 10-12-2014, 04:00 AM
rcjunky67

Originally Posted by acdii
Maybe we need to change the thread title

Club Saito, or everything you now know about bikes but were afraid to ask.

+1. I LOVE motorcycles too, but are you guy's really that bored with saito's or just trying to break it up a little?
No disrespect here intended or implied, just curious.

Last edited by rcjunky67; 10-12-2014 at 04:14 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good morning RC, We are sitting around the Flying Field shooting the breeze between Saito talk.

Pete, few people knew that MAICO made road bikes. This one is a 250 that is made out of the 125 crankcase. It has the 54mm stroke of the 125 and the 76mm bore of the 400. Top speed 99. The 125 was 54x54mm. The 490 is regarded by most experts as the best open class motocrosser ever built. Still is. The 125 was a rotary valve engine, the carb is just inside the side cover by the brake pedal, the air filter is up under the seat hence the big fat pipe coming down.

Most people seem to under prop the 1.25 Saito, it's a 9,000 rpm engine so you might as well prop it that way. Some engines like to grunt.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...20MD%20250.htm

You can read some MAICO specs here.

Name:	maico md250 01.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2039291  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 10-12-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:25 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Good to know on the 125, I just put one in my Mustang, havent run it yet and think I put a smaller than recommended prop because it is what I have. 20 seeing 9K on it should be my target?

The FG-11 is getting better every day out, had to lower the idle again, it is almost there. Considering how low the 100 idles, I am sure the 11 will get there soon.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:03 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart watch this space for Saito updates (photos). That OVLOV was a serious bit of kit methinks, but the ford ads were interesting with the new models to be released, did you note the mustang. The race was interesting but the "repair stop" mid race was a bit much. In the good days that track damage would have been witch hated and we would have had to drive around it. Its called driving to the conditions which is why serious rallying has gained my attention (Historic 240z's and 911's). Any way missed out on a perfect flying day but we'll make up for it. My mate has acquired a "Maryborough" version of the Mew Gull which I am going to peruse today. You'll have to try out old timer flying old fart just to say you have done it. I can put you in touch with the WA guys if you want. Breakfast calls catch ya later
Old 10-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Hobbsy

Hey FNQ, speaking of updates, today I ordered a third C&H Ignition system for the Saito 100. The two i have are from 1991 with the separate Synchro Spark Module and the other a 1997 with Syncho Spark built in. I'll order another trigger assembly when I have more funds. Us "retarees" need to dodge bullets to come up with discretionary funds. When I get the additional C&H sensor assembly I'll do up my high compression .80.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

Dave you left the 'd' out of retarees heh heh honestly just kidding friend thanks for the advice on the 125.Next time i'll approach the tuning a bit different ie with some thought !

Agree with you about the 490 how do you think your 501 compared? lots of people over the years have ridden the 490 and know how explosively fast they are with good handling and top notch engineering and fittings.On the other side you had two stroke road bikes of a similar adrenalin number.Kawasaki's first mach 3,the h1 (the widowmaker) was an evil piece of kit.The gearbox was five up with neutral at the bottom,oh that was so handy..as was the farmgate hinge fitted to the middle of the frame,none of the jap bike manufacturers fixed that one for years.Anyway,that's all small change after you twist the throttle.It's got no more power than a puch 50 mo-ped (no no,i never rode one) until the needle hits 4800 rpm.Take a note of that figure as i don't mean 4799 or 4801..i'm serious,thats when you got the other 95% of it's horsepower rating.What that did to poverty pack suspension components and a weak frame plus skinny rock hard dunlops and a scared rider well,if there's a fellow sufferer out there speak up..

ps since we are all sittin round the flying field shootin the breeze can i say that i've just seen an old timer fly past,ain't no way i'm flying that !! saito engine or not.I'm just not old enough yet trev buddy mate blah blah just kidding
Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Hobbsy

In all honesty with equally skilled riders the 490 was faster than the 501. It took a body builder to herd the 501 fast. The 125 MAICO had 21.5 hp at 8,200 rpm with a perfectly flat torque, "curve" from 4,000 to 8,200. It was a near verticle rise at the beginning and dropped like a cliff at the end. I can only guess that the rotary disc valve was responsible for the flat midrange.

I am going to run one of the C&H equipped engines today, it's 40- F out this am and really humid. About half raining.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:32 PM
FNQFLYER

Old fart when you finally work up enough intestinal fortitude to truly fly a duration model please turn of your pace maker as the "enjoyment / terror" of the first 30 seconds of flight has been known to cause heart palpitations and the rest of the flight (assuming you are good enough) tends to cause a degree of relaxation (around 30 minutes plus if you are once again doing it right) that tends to bring on a degree of relaxation (unless you are in a competition) that truly has to be experienced. The models have to be built, tuned and lastky flown and as such present a challenge that most modellers are not up to. Mind you I am certain you are up for it but can you meet it. Try it and see what you think and as an aside I made a lot of money of young bucks with the challenge " 1 minute engine run and last one down takes the money". Catch ya.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:56 PM
FNQFLYER

No offence intended with the last post old fart, really. I find O/timer flying to be one of the most relaxing, testing and enjoyable flying. The rush you get from watching a 4 pound 88 inch wing span model, go vertical and the wingspan reduce to the size of your little finger (in length) in 30 seconds is something to be experienced. Add the sound of these models "getting out of town" and if that doesn't stir your soul you are dead. The challenge in the glide to keep the damm thing up there is the frustrating side and of course you get to practise your dead stick landings every flight. I race and dabble in scale but the competition that O/T flying presents is "almost pure". No pretty babies no subjective judging, no ARF's (they have all been sold never to be repeated) and a variety of designs and classes provides the variation and interest not experienced in any other class of aeromodelling. Of course you have to be of a particular mindset and be over 50 years of age to get out of the junior ranks. Look us up at the nats next year and I might lend you a model.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:19 PM
FNQFLYER

Ok as I promised some more phots of my weapons and what powers them. The props are APC, Bolly x2, Taipan and MS. The diesels are for interest a beer at the next Aussie Nationals for every one you get right. They are all competition engines (or will be). The blue model is the last ARF Bomber out of China. Motive power is one of my 65's. I am getting ready for next April and this is the first Saito one completed. Probably for Texaco and has a 14x8 Taipan fitted. The 2 s is a diesel conversion done a couple of years ago

Name:	185.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2040131   Click image for larger version

Name:	186.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2040132   Click image for larger version

Name:	187.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2040134   Click image for larger version

Name:	188.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	3.58 MB
ID:	2040136   Click image for larger version

Name:	189.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2040138  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:11 AM
Rudolph Hart

No offence taken trev and none meant,to anybody.That's a good shed setup you have mate.If i come over to the nats can i steal that muffler off your saito 65 ?..not really asking as you know

I think dave would beat everybody out of their beer in a competition to id those diesels,i've never had much to do with them apart from a sabre control line version as a kid.I never thought castrol r could be beaten for smell till i found diesel fuel,we used to make our own,even got it in glass bottles from the chemist...they let young kids buy that stuff back then instead of calling the local swat squad.If we come to the nats trev i'll buy you a big drink and listen while you talk about your engines and how you use them while we can see it close up.Now that model you were talking about loaning me,is it powered by a saito or does it drink beer ?

Dave did you get to run one of the new ch equipped engines today? and are you more at ease with the timing now.Our summer is just starting and sounds like yours is nearly over

ps barry was it you who mentioned a motorcycle fork article that got deleted ? and was it interesting
Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 AM
Hobbsy

Pete, I ran the Saito 1.00 yesterday with a new ZOAR 15x6, apparently the Zoar turns much heder than a ProZinger.. I looked back and had reported 9,500 or so with a 15x6 ProZinger, the most I could come up with on the Zoar was 8,900. I gotta cipher on that some. I changed two things at the same time. I used the Zoar and I ran a stock cast muffler instead of the TurboHeader. I never saw the TurboHeader make 600 rpm's worth of difference, 300 on a couple of engines but mostly 210 to 260. I'll play some more today. Adrain is sending me a whole system for the Saito 100, I am going to put it on the high compression .80. I'll have to space the sensor up about 1/8th" because the cam box on the .80 is the old pre-B engine design and is shorter. Should be a piece of cake. The prop drivers are the same. Yep, I made a piston stop and an adapter to hold the piston at TDC with vacuum. I am a regular old hand now. The main problem is keeping Honey Do's from interfering with the important work.

That article I removed was about 3 pages long and of no use to anyone, it concerned the setting up the chassis on a Vincent Black Shadow. Apparently adjusting the sparkplug wire length would alter the handing characteristics.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 10-14-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 AM
SrTelemaster150

Pete, I ran the Saito 1.00 yesterday with a new ZOAR 15x6, apparently the Zoar turns much heder than a ProZinger.. I looked back and had reported 9,500 or so with a 15x6 ProZinger, the most I could come up with on the Zoar was 8,900. I gotta cipher on that some. I changed two things at the same time. I used the Zoar and I ran a stock cast muffler instead of the TurboHeader. I never saw the TurboHeader make 600 rpm's worth of difference, 300 on a couple of engines but mostly 210 to 260. I'll play some more today. Adrain is sending me a whole system for the Saito 100, I am going to put it on the high compression .80. I'll have to space the sensor up about 1/8th" because the cam box on the .80 is the old pre-B engine design and is shorter. Should be a piece of cake. The prop drivers are the same. Yep, I made a piston stop and an adapter to hold the piston at TDC with vacuum. I am a regular old hand now. The main problem is keeping Honey Do's from interfering with the important work.

That article I removed was about 3 pages long and of no use to anyone, it concerned the setting up the chassis on a Vincent Black Shadow. Apparently adjusting the sparkplug wire length would alter the handing characteristics.
You need to run the different combos on the same day under similar atmosheric conditions to get a true comparison. I've seen as much as 400 RPM difference on different day W/the same exact combo. A cloudy day W/steady temperature & barometric pressure is the best day to do comparisons.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 10-14-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Hobbsy

Thanks Dan, can do.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart just for you I have an OS 32sxh with ceramic liner and piston, good for around 16 to 17,000rpm (a bit slow) on 30% nitro in an 80% Bomber that if you can handle it you can fly it in Duration. Get onto Paul Baartz in WA and talk to him about it all. Tell him Trevor and Jim sent you. Castrol R in the speedway car and my early diesels was the oil of choice good stuff. My ether supplier has to sign his life away every time he gets us the stuff, lots of trading in it every easter.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM
FNQFLYER

Hmm Black Shadows, saw a couple at the recent Shannons track days at Lakeside, my father used to ace one at Lowwod (road track) and the Ekka (dirt speedway) and you are right about about the plug lead lengths, heat also had a hand in that and increased resistance in the leads due to same reduced power to the plugs etc.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Hobbsy

OF, Dan, Barry, FN and others, I just talked to Adrian at C&H, he's sending me the stuff to do the High Compression .80. I'm going to document what I have to do and send it all to him and maybe others will be interested as well. I don't have an .82-B to see if the 1.00 unit would bolt right on.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:55 PM
FNQFLYER

Ignition sources. That C&H ignition system, while I have had no experience with it it would appear to be the one of choice for most gas engines that I come across. However with Saitos all of them with the exception of one still run their original saito systems. The one that was replaced with a RXELL unit was done so as the result of operator error (his admission) causing the unit to burn out. I follow the trials and tribulations of saito gas operators and find reasons not to fire mine up.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 PM
SrTelemaster150

OF, Dan, Barry, FN and others, I just talked to Adrian at C&H, he's sending me the stuff to do the High Compression .80. I'm going to document what I have to do and send it all to him and maybe others will be interested as well. I don't have an .82-B to see if the 1.00 unit would bolt right on.
The 80 would take the same magnet ring & hall sensor mount as an FA-91S. Adrian did one of those for me some time back.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Hobbsy

Maybe he's sending something similar, he knows mine's an .80.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 10-15-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.