Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 11-17-2014, 01:41 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blw, it would appear as if there isn't a SAM chapter in your state but there are a few around you. We survived the G20 no riots etc, but your President didn't earn any kudos with his global warming speech and attempting to con us into following him. But enough politics that "new Saito radial" do you have any info? I have a Storch kit that I could use that in converting it into a Frend Critquette (I think that is how you spell it. A Storch with a Rhone radial in the front used in Vietnam and Algeria etc. The French manufactured themm in the Bloch factory in sth france during WW2.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:55 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=blw;11919934] ... lived in Kansas but the wind would keep you from flying most of the year. ...QUOTE]

I also lived in Kansas, but only flew control stunt and combat then. Our club "flag" was a length of chain. Unless the "flag" was flying, we flew our planes, winter and summer. Sometimes all we could do against the winds was to fly lazy eights downwind. :-) Sincerely, Richard
Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Ash08

Originally Posted by p3arljam
I am building a plane with an inverted Saito 72 and i will need a onboard glow driver. I have never used one before and just wondering if anyone has a link to one that would work for my setup.

Hi, I recommend a South Herts Intelligent Glow- It's not cheap.. and works faultlessly with Saito 72 (inverted) on my Cloud Dancer 60.
It's quite smart only coming on when plug temperature drops due to cold fuel/air intake.

southhertsmodels.co.uk

I have been lurking on this thread for too long now and would like to join your Club. I'm a total Saito fan..
and find the info on here extremely educational.

I own a few Saitos.. and can't wait to start flying again and hear that beautiful Saito sound.

Ash

Last edited by Ash08; 11-19-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Oh thats a little thing! That must be a Top Flite 60 Corsair then.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Ash08

It's a sports plane designed by Fred Reese. 72" with retracts and low wing load.

Last edited by Ash08; 11-19-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 AM
allenpad

Originally Posted by p3arljam
I am building a plane with an inverted Saito 72 and i will need a onboard glow driver. I have never used one before and just wondering if anyone has a link to one that would work for my setup.
Here's my recommendation: http://www.craineng.net/ I have two of these on inverted 4 strokes and they work great!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:29 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by allenpad
Here's my recommendation: http://www.craineng.net/ I have two of these on inverted 4 strokes and they work great!
That looks like a good one! Nice and compact and a better wiring setup than the one I use (that is no longer available). Would be nice if the LED were remote.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 AM
acdii

That looks like a perfect lightweight setup that I can use on the twins when I get them built if I decided to use Glow instead of gas. They have a multi cylinder one too if I go with radial. Price is not bad either.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Ash08

This onboard glow is the business: http://www.southhertsmodels.co.uk/IGs.htm

Also available in the US: USA: Nelson Hobby
www.nelsonhobby.com

Tel: +1 503 806 3785

Old 11-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Pondus

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question for you Saito guys, I need to replace a couple of rocker arm brackets on a Saito FA-450, both are the intake valve side. Is this considered left side or right side? There's a left and a right available, so it would be nice to order the correct parts.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Pondus
Question for you Saito guys, I need to replace a couple of rocker arm brackets on a Saito FA-450, both are the intake valve side. Is this considered left side or right side? There's a left and a right available, so it would be nice to order the correct parts.

Intake = left = port. Part number suffix 44.

Part # SAI120S44
Old 11-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Pondus

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, that was my guess as well, but good to have it confirmed. Not sure what the previous owner did, but these two rocker arm brackets where a bit loose, and the locating ring on the bottom around the valve spring hole had started to wear through on one side. One of them was rubbing on the valve spring making a clicking noise.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:00 PM
warrenmiller11

anybody has 120r3?
what size prop works best
i was thinking tbm 16x10 three blade adjustabe pitch
to go on my .60 TF corsair
Old 11-21-2014, 01:29 PM
smkrcflyer

I have a Saito 150 that i'm thinking about converting to CH ignition. Should I get the glow or gas version? I get glow fuel for about $13 a gallon so its not a big difference in cost between the two. I'm looking at it from a performance, reliability and tuning point of view.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Ash08

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
I have a Saito 150 that i'm thinking about converting to CH ignition. Should I get the glow or gas version? I get glow fuel for about $13 a gallon so its not a big difference in cost between the two. I'm looking at it from a performance, reliability and tuning point of view.
I would go with the Glow first. I have a couple of Saito 120S' which I'm thinking of converting to CH ignition when I get around to using them. This is purely for economy and reliability. I had thought of petrol (gas) conversion at first but you lose a lot of power and I know I definitely won't be able to put up with the smell of petrol fumes in the car or at home.. I may try an onboard glow first (South Herts AGI) as it's about half the price of CH and see how the 120 is fuel consumption wise.
You guys in th US don't know how lucky you are.. we pay £22 ($34.42) a gallon for 10% nitro here in the UK. We are been ripped-off left right and centre in Europe. I'm even thinking of mixing my own glow fuel at some point if I can get the nitro.

SrTelemaster150 is the expert on CH. I believe he has all his Saitos converted to CH ignition running methanol. You'll find him on here and the other Saito Club at RCG.

Last edited by Ash08; 11-21-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:21 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Ash08
I would go with the Glow first. I have a couple of Saito 120S' which I'm thinking of converting to CH ignition when I get around to using them. This is purely for economy and reliability. I had thought of petrol (gas) conversion at first but you lose a lot of power and I know I definitely won't be able to put up with the smell of petrol fumes in the car or at home.. I may try an onboard glow first (South Herts AGI) as it's about half the price of CH and see how the 120 is fuel consumption wise.
You guys in th US don't know how lucky you are.. we pay £22 ($34.42) a gallon for 10% nitro here in the UK. We are been ripped-off left right and centre in Europe. I'm even thinking of mixing my own glow fuel at some point if I can get the nitro.

SrTelemaster150 is the expert on CH. I believe he has all his Saitos converted to CH ignition running methanol. You'll find him on here and the other Saito Club at RCG.
Just convert to CDI & mix methanol/lube @ 10:1. You won't even need the nitro.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Ash08, yes, you are right about being taxed to death on nitro. Oddly, there are a couple of countries in Europe that don't tax nitro. I forget which now, but we've read about it here. Of course, we get our taxation on other things. It happens to everybody, everywhere. And, I think you are right about how we don't really realize how good we have things in this hobby.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Ash08

Originally Posted by blw
Ash08, yes, you are right about being taxed to death on nitro. Oddly, there are a couple of countries in Europe that don't tax nitro. I forget which now, but we've read about it here. Of course, we get our taxation on other things. It happens to everybody, everywhere. And, I think you are right about how we don't really realize how good we have things in this hobby.
blw, we pay more over here for everything, cameras, televisions, R/c stuff -- you name it we pay through the nose for it! The reason is because Americans just will not pay exorbitant prices. Everything you pay for in Dollars we pay the equal amount in Sterling.
The price at the pump today is:
£1.22 (come down recently because of oil) = $1.57/litre = £5.55/ Imperial Gallon = $10.43/ US Gallon(unleaded).

If I was to mix my own glow fuel it would work out about half the cost. That's without any nitro. Doesn't seem worth it for the hassle.

Sorry for the rant, got to remember my gratitude and how fortunate I am to be be able to partake in this hobby.

Regards
Ash

Last edited by Ash08; 11-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM
dbeeler

saito fa100: mount and muffler help
i just purchased a new saito FA100. i plan to mount it in a new build... the arrowmaster 55 bipe. i have a question that is really about mounting options and mufflers. i am hesitant to mount this engine inverted as i know an inverted 4 stroke can sometimes be a problem. i like the look but don't want a problem (poor idle and potential flame-out). another option is to mount it at 90 degrees but i am not keen on that look or whether i "gain" anything over upright mount. finally, the last option is to mount it upright. my main goal with either mount is to direct the exhaust and residue down under the fuselage rather than out the side or top. have any of you used the flexible pipes for Saito mufflers? i may be able to mount the engine upright and if the exhaust pipe is long enough bend it down under the plane. if you have used this mount would you please comment on pros and cons? thank you. BTW did you use the vented version with the nipple or a straight pipe?
i suppose i could also consider a pitts-type muffler as well. but with that muffler would probably have to mount the engine inverted.
i would appreciate any suggestions. thank you.

Last edited by dbeeler; 11-24-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have side-mounted all my Saitos and OS 4-strokes as I also opt out of the potential problems of inverted orientation.

To make the exhaust work the way I want, I currently run Slimline setups specifically made for this orientation. Has much of the exhaust fit within the cowls and both exhaust pipes exit symmetrically out the bottom.

Here are a couple of examples. The last shows another option with a 90 degree adapter rerouting the stock exhaust down and allows the muffler to exit the center area below the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0122.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	2049973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0586.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2049974   Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 981.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	2049975  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:42 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is another option, a TurboHeader, very compact, gives a couple of hundred more rpm in most cases. With the 90 degree adapter Cougar mentioned it can be pointed any way you like, mostly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito FA .40 ring 011 (Small).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2050015  
Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 AM
dbeeler

cougar, thank you for your response and pics. i have considered side-mounting the engine but in this plane i build the cowl out of wood and shape it around the engine after it is mounted. i am not sure how doable that is with a side mount (the cylinder head is exposed and i need access to the carb) and i am not real keen on the look. if i can mount the engine upright AND if a flexible exhaust pipe made for the saito will reach from the exhaust port to below the bulkhead on the fuse (direct exhaust downward and back) AND they work well, then that is my preferred mount. i like the looks of the cylinder head and i think it will look good in this plane mounted upright (it's all about looks, right?.. ). so i guess i am wondering how well those exhausts perform and whether they are long enough to do that. i have not been able to find dimensions other than 12mm thread.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM
acdii

If you have your tank setup correctly, there is no reason not to run inverted. In fact the FG-11 instructions prefer inverted installs. I ran my FA100 upside down in a P51 and it ran great. The only potential issue is flooding, which is why tank placement is important. Use a remote glow adapter to make it easier to start. Some guys mount them on a slight angle from inverted, with the exhaust rocker straight down.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 PM
FNQFLYER

Guys, on exhausts, a mob here in OZ called Christian Traders does a good line in flexible exhausts to suit Saitos in particular. While I haven't used their product I have seen it in operation and it appears to perform to specification. Mind you I think the guys are trying to make millionaire status some time very soon with their pricing it is a good product and a way out of the troubles you guys appear to be having.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by acdii
If you have your tank setup correctly, there is no reason not to run inverted. In fact the FG-11 instructions prefer inverted installs. I ran my FA100 upside down in a P51 and it ran great. The only potential issue is flooding, which is why tank placement is important. Use a remote glow adapter to make it easier to start. Some guys mount them on a slight angle from inverted, with the exhaust rocker straight down.
That was going to be my suggestion; mount it with the head at about 7 o'clock position when viewed from the front. That way fuel/oil will pool at the exhaust valve instead of the glow plug. You might find more room in the cowl this way too.

CR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.