Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A pic or drawing of the jackleg tool would be nice and other people may want to study it,good conversation tool too

You asked about rebuilding harley tanks.I sometimes re-weld the earlyish(first evo model around 84) side tanks(2 of) as you know harley went all over the place re company ownership and quality/reputation suffered.To miss quote robin williams they were screwed everywhere except under the titanic..the 85 side by side tanks as i heard it were made from old steel presses they sold to asia when amf took over the company.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saito site is dieing
Old 01-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Rudolph Hart

Bob here's a pic of the deccy after it's had a fuel tank rinse and clean plus new tubing,the 82 was starting to hiccup a bit.I'll try and include a pic of bella as well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002-2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	2062695   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	2062696  
Old 01-10-2015, 06:42 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by bob62
Saito site is dieing
I don't know why they f&#%ed W/it in the 1st place. It WAS a great site. It wasn't broke before & they sure as hell didn't "fix" anything!

Horizon is dragging Saito down. Almost all of the big multi glow engines are still availible from RC Japan, but Horizon only wants to carry the high volume stuff. Walmart management comes to Saito marweting. Saito has rushed into the "gas" market ill prepared, so now Horizon abandons the glow market. When distributors try to dictate what the market gets, it isn't usually doesn't have a good outcome.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I don't know why they f&#%ed W/it in the 1st place. It WAS a great site. It wasn't broke before & they sure as hell didn't "fix" anything!

Horizon is dragging Saito down. Almost all of the big multi glow engines are still availible from RC Japan, but Horizon only wants to carry the high volume stuff. Walmart management comes to Saito marweting. Saito has rushed into the "gas" market ill prepared, so now Horizon abandons the glow market. When distributors try to dictate what the market gets, it isn't usually doesn't have a good outcome.
Horizon dumped or lost the Seagull ARF brand too. They all favor the electric foamy RTFs now, probably higher profits.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:14 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

GUys - whats everybody's favorite for fuel these days?

Ive been flying a lot of gas the last couple of years so didnt go through much glow fuel, but now Im down to my last gallon and need to buy a case for my Saitos (72, 91, 100). Used to run 15-20%, but with the crazy price increases lately and all the local shops gone I might have to order and am wondering if I can get by on lower nitro??

Just have a hard time swallowing 3-4 $ a flight on my 60 size planes when my giant gasers fly for like 50 cents a flight.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Horizon dumped or lost the Seagull ARF brand too. They all favor the electric foamy RTFs now, probably higher profits.
SIG picked it up and I think Tower now carries SIG.

Originally Posted by jharkin
GUys - whats everybody's favorite for fuel these days?

Ive been flying a lot of gas the last couple of years so didnt go through much glow fuel, but now Im down to my last gallon and need to buy a case for my Saitos (72, 91, 100). Used to run 15-20%, but with the crazy price increases lately and all the local shops gone I might have to order and am wondering if I can get by on lower nitro??

Just have a hard time swallowing 3-4 $ a flight on my 60 size planes when my giant gasers fly for like 50 cents a flight.
I use Wildcat fuel for the glows, has the lowest price per gallon(Except the $15 a gallon for 15% when I went to the SIG FLyin and got SIG fuel). Its the shipping costs that jack the prices up though. Any new engines I buy though will be Saito FG. I am hooked on the FG-11, 1 hour flying on 12 ounces of fuel can't be beat. It also sounds like a saito and not a weed wacker.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:26 AM
jharkin

Originally Posted by acdii
Any new engines I buy though will be Saito FG. I am hooked on the FG-11, 1 hour flying on 12 ounces of fuel can't be beat. It also sounds like a saito and not a weed wacker.
Yeah I like the FG concept in theory, remember lusting after the original FG-36 when it first came out... but I cant bring myself to put one in a plane under 1/4 scale. T ake a simple 60 size bipe that has a $300 FA-100 on it. To convert to gas Id have to sped $500 for the FG-21, add a second battery for the EI, and carry a special fuel mix (20:1).

Even if I got some money back selling the 100 used, Im invested a few hundred $ to save a buck a flight on fuel, and now I have to carry a third fuel mix with me (20:1 gas the saito needs, along with 32:1 gas all my other planes use and glow fuel). Just doesnt seem worth it on a small plane.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The $120 difference between the FA-62 and FG-11 is easily made up after few gallons of fuel. The fuel use is doubled with glow, so the 1 hour flight I get now, would be under 30 minutes on glow. Gas is also around $2 a gallon compared to nearly $20 a gallon for glow. The larger the engine, the more glow is used. The DLE20 I run in the 4*120 on a 14 ounce tank is easily 30 minutes per flight, but a similar glow would be under 15 if that. Of course it is only a saving if you fly it a lot. The ignition modules is very light, when I compared the weight of the FG-11 to the OS-70, the FG was about the same weight. I also use a larger Life with dual outputs to power the radio and ignition and it works perfect. So even though there ia more cost at the start, once you have run though a few gallons of gas, the cost savings of gas vs glow easily offsets it and after a few more gallons, the savings doubles.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:43 AM
jharkin

You dont have to sell me on the fuel savings... I know it, i fly large gas planes (50cc) and 700 size gas helicopters (30cc) and I would never even dream of putting a big glow in them.... its just on this plane that I have a saito 1.00 on, to get the same performance in gas I owuld need to go for at least the FG-21 which is rediculously expensive ($500!!!) for a 60 sized plane... and it would weight more and Id have to mix the special fuel.

Not worth it in a small plane for me but thats just my view. Im glad you are happy with yours.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Ruffinit

Had something happen to me the other day that may have damaged my beloved Saito 125. My 125 is on a GP 60 size P47. I typically fly with a 15x6 prop but change it to a 14x8 to see the difference in performance.

I was critiquing the low end while on the runway and got that to a point where I was happy. Engine cowling was on. Good idle was achieved at about 2100 give or take. The problem happened when I tied up the tail and proceeded to critique the high end. At the beginning, I peeked at 9100 - 9200. I must have played with it too long because the more I played, the lower it got. Luckily I was standing behind the prop with my tachometer when the motor stopped and spun off the prop and hub. I'm so lucky I always measure rpm from behind the prop, not in front. That was about 6500 - 7000 rpm. I picked up the prop and hub about 20 feet in front of the plane where it had landed. The motor was screaming hot. I realize my mistake now after the fact....I played with it too long and overheated the motor to the point something happened. I let it cool down and the motor seemed fine when I hand spin it. Have not test run it yet to see if its actually ok. Weather has not been to good lately for me to run it.

Have any of you overheated a motor to a point of "locking the motor and throwing the prop and hub"? Was yours ok afterwards. Curious as to where I might stand before I test run it, and reality tells me for sure.
Thanks, richie

Last edited by Ruffinit; 01-10-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:40 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Ruffinit

Have any of you overheated a motor to a point of "locking the motor and throwing the prop and hub"? Was yours ok afterwards. Curious as to where I might stand before I test run it, and reality tells me for sure.
Thanks, richie
I did that with a Tower .75 before I realized that big round cowls need baffles around the engine. Once it cooled off, it seemed okay and, once I installed baffles, I had 20 - 30 flights before I sold the plane & motor. It seemed to run as good as it did before it seized.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Ruffy i don't think you have had a seizure the methanol we use is ice cold when it goes in there but it hits the panic button a bit when you throw a prop eh?did it backfire, i'm not saying you have done this but what i find is if i fiddle to much on the ground instead of flying the engine when it's nearly right it's too lean when i fly the first time on that tune.For instance today i flew the deccy for the first time this morning after a yearly tank clean and new fuel lines.Half a turn rich on the main needle and then narrowed it down to less than two turns out and clocked 9 plus for an 82 and 14x6 apc on 10% backed it off three clicks and flew it,nice smokey trail on a full tank and when empty nearly visible and a dead stick.

ps used some three year old fuel today and the same results for those who worry about storage life.

pps throw that 125 in the bin and put a 115 in it..
Old 01-11-2015, 06:35 AM
I_Fly

Ruff

When glow engines overheat the ignition timing moves way forward. This causes the engine to reverse direction and toss the prop. Using a lock nut is supposed to prevent the prop from leaving the engine. I have experienced this with a 2 cycle (OS 61 SF) on a few occasions. Generally no damage but it is possible to bend or break the connecting rod or something else. I don't know what could happen to the valve train on a 4 cycle. Chances are it is fine. If it turns over normally it may be worth taking off the back plate and cam cover to take a look things over before running it again. No need to risk turning a simple problem into a big one.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Cycotravlr

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, you guys are scaring me on this Glow/Gas thing. Most of the airplanes that I build are 40 to 60 size. Are you telling me that I need to be prepared to spend $500 for an engine instead of $300 for the next 4 planes I have lined up to build? What am I supposed to tell the wife?
Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Ruffinit

Old fart - I guess you could say it backfired. Scared the crap out of me. Didn't expect it to backfire at such a high rpm. It certainly did not seize and freely spun between compression strokes. I will be putting the 15 x 6 back on it. Like my grandfather used to say "If its not broke, don't fix it." Will test fly next weekend if weather permits.

The reason I wanted more performance, via 14x8 prop, is because the other GP P47 at the field has a DLE 20 w/15x6 prop and the top end performance is significant. Although performance is nice, I still would rather have the sound of my Saito w/ keleo exhaust over the DLE any day. Plus the 125 runs great. Many days I'm the only one at the field flying nitro. Everyone else has switched to gas.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	642.8 KB
ID:	2062941  
Old 01-11-2015, 10:41 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Ruffinit
Old fart - I guess you could say it backfired. Scared the crap out of me. Didn't expect it to backfire at such a high rpm. It certainly did not seize and freely spun between compression strokes. I will be putting the 15 x 6 back on it. Like my grandfather used to say "If its not broke, don't fix it." Will test fly next weekend if weather permits.

The reason I wanted more performance, via 14x8 prop, is because the other GP P47 at the field has a DLE 20 w/15x6 prop and the top end performance is significant. Although performance is nice, I still would rather have the sound of my Saito w/ keleo exhaust over the DLE any day. Plus the 125 runs great. Many days I'm the only one at the field flying nitro. Everyone else has switched to gas.

Ruffy, if you plan on using that spinner nut and are worried about backfires throwing the prop, you can replace that washer with a thin nut between the prop and spinner nut. That will act as a lock-nut and prevent prop flying off.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:02 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Originally Posted by PSB
Hey, you guys are scaring me on this Glow/Gas thing. Most of the airplanes that I build are 40 to 60 size. Are you telling me that I need to be prepared to spend $500 for an engine instead of $300 for the next 4 planes I have lined up to build? What am I supposed to tell the wife?
Tell her you love her, works ever time
Old 01-11-2015, 06:10 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i really miss this Club.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by PSB
Just ask the handbrake whether she prefers the smell of glow fuel or gas,if she says glow fuel go upmarket and run it through a saito fourstroke.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:04 AM
Rudolph Hart

Ruffy good news with the engine.I think the 14x8 is too small for a 125 my 115 on a 14x10 apc will rip the prop tips in a midget mustang you should easy run a 15x8 the 115 will although it starts to struggle on long steep climbs.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:30 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by PSB
Another option is to buy glow Saito used. The lower cost of a used Saito would save you a bundle. All my Saitos I bought used and run great. You would have to run the engine a long time before the cost of glow fuel would exceed the up front cost of the new gas Saitos.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 AM
jharkin

Originally Posted by PSB
Depends... In the case of the 100 it does look like you gatta spend 500 to get a gas equivalent in a Saito 4 stroke. Plus deal with the extra weight and special fuel mix.

Thats why I personally dont like to go gas on anything smaller than quarter scale / 20cc. Im sticking with glow in the small stuff.

If you really want gas in something 60 sized and dont mind the sound I'd look at the OS GT15. Can be had under $300 and runs on standard 50:1 mix that pretty much every yard tool and big R/C gasser uses.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by PSB
Are you telling me that I need to be prepared to spend $500 for an engine instead of $300 for the next 4 planes I have lined up to build? What am I supposed to tell the wife?
Heck yes, that's what we are suggesting. Spend lots of money on airplanes and engines.

Errr, as to the wife thing. Say nothing. Wives aren't supposed to know what we do. As if we know the true cost of that last pair of heels she bought. The way I see it, keeping them in the dark is just leveling the playing field a little.

When caught, look dumb right away. It usually works. Or, cut to the chase and go the sympathy route. Women have no resistance to attacks on their sympathy. They are helpless.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:45 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by blw
Heck yes, that's what we are suggesting. Spend lots of money on airplanes and engines.

Errr, as to the wife thing. Say nothing. Wives aren't supposed to know what we do. As if we know the true cost of that last pair of heels she bought. The way I see it, keeping them in the dark is just leveling the playing field a little.

When caught, look dumb right away. It usually works. Or, cut to the chase and go the sympathy route. Women have no resistance to attacks on their sympathy. They are helpless.
I still thank my financial adviser when he budgeted my hobby expenses to match my wife's hairstyling expenses. That doesn't even count the cost of the makeup either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.