Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 AM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this may have been covered already (I can't find the posts, though) but what is the recommendation for timing a Saito FA-125a glow to CDI conversion? 30 degrees BTDC? Or 34 degrees BTDC? I'm using Adrian's module and I think he starts at 30 degrees. However, if I recall it right SrTelemaster has got best results with 34 degrees BTDC with Saitos. I have ample of power so what i'm looking for is easy to use operation & nice good sounding low idle.

-Artto
Old 04-07-2015, 03:34 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroFinn
I know this may have been covered already (I can't find the posts, though) but what is the recommendation for timing a Saito FA-125a glow to CDI conversion? 30 degrees BTDC? Or 34 degrees BTDC? I'm using Adrian's module and I think he starts at 30 degrees. However, if I recall it right SrTelemaster has got best results with 34 degrees BTDC with Saitos. I have ample of power so what i'm looking for is easy to use operation & nice good sounding low idle.

-Artto
I am assuming that you are still using glow fuel.

Mark the magnet ring/prop hub W/a sharpie & rotate the magnet ring CCW about 1/32" & check RPM @ WOT. If it didn't improve, go back to the original setting. Also check transition. As long as transition and part throttle running are good, advance another 1/32" (.8mm) & repeat until you no longer get an improvement @ WOT. When you reach the point of no improvement @ WOT, go back to the previous setting. This is the method specified in the original C&H Ekectronics instructions.

Generaly speaking idle will not be affected by total advance settings within the acceptable WOT settings. Just check transition & part throttle running as the FA-125 seems to be an odd duck in that respect.

EDIT: Changed value above to 1/32"

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 04-07-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 AM
Rudolph Hart

-Artto
Artto in all good humour if you can lob an empty glass beer stubbie straight in to the rubbish bin at the back of your workshop everytime without missing it's a sure bet you won't miss when you throw the 125 in the same direction

Sammy what you said about the dc3 crashing was the funniest thing read in ages.C'mon popey you up for the challenge?
Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 AM
slamn sammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YEP! BUT! That was a sad day. 20 people die'd that day. If it had gone to the right it would of killed all in our nabber hood. Love field has two runways, took off on one and was laying on the threshold of the other. When the L1011 crashed at DFW year,s ago l was two miles away at a motorcycle track racing. lt wad about 6:00 Pm, sunny and it got real black and our ambulance took off and they called the race's off. I think the only thing funny about a plane crash is when you can go over and put it in a trash bag.

Last edited by slamn sammy; 04-07-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 AM
AeroFinn

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I am assuming that you are still using glow fuel.

Mark the magnet ring/prop hub W/a sharpie & rotate the magnet ring CCW about 1/16" & check RPM @ WOT. If it didn't improve, go back to the original setting. Also check transition. As long as transition and part throttle running are good, advance another 1/32" (.8mm) & repeat until you no longer get an improvement @ WOT. When you reach the point of no improvement @ WOT, go back to the previous setting. This is the method specified in the original C&H Ekectronics instructions.

Generaly speaking idle will not be affected by total advance settings within the acceptable WOT settings. Just check transition & part throttle running as the FA-125 seems to be an odd duck in that respect.

EDIT: Changed value above to 1/32"
Yes, glow fuel. Thanks SrTele I got it
Old 04-07-2015, 05:18 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by Charley
The best thing about Love Field was that some of the most beautiful women in the world passed through there before they opened DFW.

Hay, do you remember when the city of Dallas tried to compel Southwest Airlines to move from Love Field to DFW?

CR
Yep, failed! OldFart, is there something you don't like about me? Have I crossed you?

Last edited by slamn sammy; 04-07-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:21 AM
AeroFinn

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Artto in all good humour if you can lob an empty glass beer stubbie straight in to the rubbish bin at the back of your workshop everytime without missing it's a sure bet you won't miss when you throw the 125 in the same direction
OF,

I take it as a challenge to see what can be done with the CDI to help convert the Fa-125 to a more decent engine..

-Artto
Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 AM
SrTelemaster150

Yes, glow fuel. Thanks SrTele I got it
Measure the diameter of the prop hub, then use pi to find circumference. Divide by 360 to find the distance for 1°. Then, pick a value the equals around 2-3° that you can eyeball accurately for fiddling W/the timing.

I use 1/32" on my FA-180/FA-150. That equals just under 3° & I can eyeball 1/32" fairly accurately.

The smaller prop hub of the FA-125 will require a smaller value. The point is, exact measurement isn't critical as long ad you have a reference point to return to.

If you like, find the optimal setting as above, then use the degree wheel to find it & record for future reference.

Most Saito engines I have converted like anywhere from 33° to 35° total advance. I did an FA-125 for a guy, but the temperature in my garage was hard to maintain in the -35°F outside temperatures & I had a slight touch of pneumonia at the time. I was never able to get the midrange constant throttle settings to run quite right.

Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

OF,

I take it as a challenge to see what can be done with the CDI to help convert the Fa-125 to a more decent engine..

-Artto
Mine was decent when I bought it. A little different that other Saitos, but decent. They just need more understanding and attention.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:53 PM
FNQFLYER

I am currently fitting up the Saito 82 to the Hanger 9 mDVII. I am using (proposing to use) a Saito 90 degree fitting on the engine and fit a slim muffler of a 65 with silicon tube extension to get the exhaust clear of the cowl. Any one have any other ideas as to how this might be best achieved. Your thoughts please..
Old 04-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

http://www.christiantraders.com.au/c..._Mufflers.html
Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 AM
Rudolph Hart

No sammy you hav'nt offended me,it's the way you write that makes me laugh,i like it.And you.

Barry never got on with 125's well maybe i expected too much of them,call me arrogant if you will the ex missus did
Old 04-08-2015, 04:49 AM
SrTelemaster150

No sammy you hav'nt offended me,it's the way you write that makes me laugh,i like it.And you.

Barry never got on with 125's well maybe i expected too much of them,call me arrogant if you will the ex missus did
The limited experience I had W/the FA-125 didn't impress me, even W/CDI.

My next engine purchase will be an FA-115. Same bore as the 125 W/the stroke of an FA-91S. Seems like better geometry to me.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 AM
I_Fly

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
The limited experience I had W/the FA-125 didn't impress me, even W/CDI.

My next engine purchase will be an FA-115. Same bore as the 125 W/the stroke of an FA-91S. Seems like better geometry to me.
I have a FA-115 and it is a great engine. Essentially the power of a 120 in a case the size of a 90. It is one of my favorites.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:25 PM
slamn sammy

Well that's a good thing. Guess it's the (City and the HillBilly) Clashing??? I was born a city boy, now i'm corn fed! LOL. I thought we got along. Most things go over my head and sometimes i don't know how to take things. I got a lot on my plate and........... Well you scare me for i don't know how to take it. Where all good.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:42 AM
Rudolph Hart

Better than that mate..we're flasher than a black rat with a gold tooth.

Trev i've flown the fokker(check the spelling)with an 82 and it is well matched to the airframe,will you put a tailwheel on it instead of the skid or are you really awesome taxi..ing into a crosswind?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:15 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart haven't got that far yet. I am currently looking at a foot that looks like a left over ball from an NRL game. Incompetent doctors and lousy diagnosis's = infected foot and lots of antibiotics etc. I am looking forward to this model (it is a number of ARF's I am completing to get out of the model stash. (Hopefully the spaces will be filled with other suitably filled ones. I will be attending the scale section of the Nats (they start tomorrow). Not competing in O/T as the organisation leaves more than a lot to be desired. I still hold all my engineers licences and if I am caught transgressing "the rules / reg" I get dumped on real hard, and I am not up for that. Re the taxi ing thing well we'll leave that alone for now. I am going to have to start flying some of this stuff I am running out of roof space to hang them from.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:17 AM
ian51291

Help Anyone,running a Saito 150 in a WM Super Cub,quite a new engine and running like clockwork until now,had a few flights with it the other day but when i started it up to go back up again it kicked back and since its done that it wont run properly,cant get it to idle and its slow on pick up,were as before it was perfect,ive changed the plug and checked the valve clearance but no joy,could it be possible the backfire has moved the valve timing slightly,any help please.

Ian
Old 04-12-2015, 06:27 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by ian51291
Help Anyone,running a Saito 150 in a WM Super Cub,quite a new engine and running like clockwork until now,had a few flights with it the other day but when i started it up to go back up again it kicked back and since its done that it wont run properly,cant get it to idle and its slow on pick up,were as before it was perfect,ive changed the plug and checked the valve clearance but no joy,could it be possible the backfire has moved the valve timing slightly,any help please.

Ian
No, it is not possible for the valve timing to shift, & valve lash issues do not come about suddenly. It takes lots of time for valve lash to get excessive & the effects will be gradual.

Check your fuel delivery. If you are running an inline filter, check/clean it. If you have a filter in the tank, remove it. Check the muffler pressure line. Try opening the HSN to excessively rich while running @ WOT, then adjust it for 200 RPM below peak. (rich) That may flush out a possible obstruction.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:11 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

And the disease continues. Picked up another 100 yesterday for my second Cub project. Not a GK, but its CLEAN, and has really good compression.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:56 AM
ian51291

Hi,thanks for the reply,i will check everything then give a run.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:41 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Its always good practice to go back to the facory settings which I think is open the needle 5 1/2 turns then take it from there.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:07 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, staggered out to O/T section of Nats to help my mate (The committee got all the necessary approvals 24hrs before the start of competition). For those of you who don't know 1/2A is a Cox 049 powered event, we have 5 mil tanks and have to make 3 x 5 minute flights followed by all qualifiers up last down with longest flight wins. We got 2nd with a 15 minute flight. Interesting part was trying to get engine to run with the fuel tank floating around on the back of the crankcase. BTB we use 30% nitro in these beasties. Now I was also watching the antics of a number of people "tuning" various Saitos to the stage where the engines were failing due to overheating in the climb because they were trying to extract that last bit of power. I love it watching people self destruct.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:28 AM
Rudolph Hart

Tuning saito's to lean to extract the last tiny 50rpm?? boy oh boy have i done that,ya see,people like me take a long time to learn that it is stupid..in the long run

Ian you could try taking the the rocker gear off and lift the cam cover,you might be a tooth out/broken off.Good luck.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 AM
SrTelemaster150

Tuning saito's to lean to extract the last tiny 50rpm?? boy oh boy have i done that,ya see,people like me take a long time to learn that it is stupid..in the long run

Ian you could try taking the the rocker gear off and lift the cam cover,you might be a tooth out/broken off.Good luck.

Where does this "one tooth out" myth come from?

Have you ever tried to start a Saito the was "a tooth out"? I garantee that you'll know right off the bat.

I'm going to have to make a video.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 04-13-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.